• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand endemics & birding trip (1 Viewer)

acrocephalus00

Dani Valverde
Hello!
We are planning a 3 weeks birding trip to New Zealand at the end of October - early November. Is there any map showing where the endemics can be found? This would be very useful to optimize the trip. We are just beginning the planning phase, so any tip or suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Dani

Not a kiwi myself, but i had a great trip in January/february last year with majority of endemics photographed (including three kiwis (the bird)). Reservations for migratory patterns i've forgotten. I'm sure i will be corrected.

Ulva Is. off Stewart Island is great for SI Saddleback, Yellowhead, Red & Yellow-crowned Parakeet and Weka.The football field behind Oban town is great for South Island Brown Kiwi

I had Yellow-eyed Penguin, Stewart Island Shag, and Spotted Shag (punctatus) at Bushy Beach.

Orokonui near Dunedin: South Island Takahe, Fernbird (punctatus), New Zealand Kaka (South), New Zealand Robin (australis), Rifleman (chloris), Tomtit (macrocephala)

A boat tour in Marlborough Sounds should give you NZ King Shag.

East Homer Tunnel will give you Kea and South Island Wren.

Tiritiri is a must! Little Spotted Kiwi North Island Kokako, Brown teal (pāteke), Stitchbird (cincta), North Island saddleback, Whitehead (popokatea)

North Island Brown Kiwi is found at Tawharanui Regional Park

Shore Plover is at Motutapu Is. off Auckland.

NZ Grebe, Wrybill, and Red-breasted Dotterel (as well as a lot of the more common waders such as oystercatchers is at Ambury Regional park and Mangere WTP

Here are the birds that i missed: Pycroft's petrel, New Zealand Storm Petrel, Parkinson's Petrel (these birds will require a North Island Pelagic, didn't go). Black stilt ([kaki], at Tasman Delta, didn't go). Malherbe's parakeet and Great spotted kiwi (at Arthurs Pass, didn't go). Blue duck (Fiordlands NP, missed, hurts). Fiordland penguin ([tawaki], I went on a two day one night cruise in Doubtful Sound and still missed. Apparently this is a very seasonal bird.), Okarito brown kiwi (Heard only, near Okarito). New Zealand Falcon found all over, and definitely hurts the most.

Do not cheat yourself for a trip with Gary for pelagics out of Kaikoura! Albatrosses, Shearwaters and Petrels en masse.

Last edited:
Do not forget i've left out a bunch of more common birds, which you will encounter along the way, but keep them in the back of your head so you won't forget them until the plane home ;)

Miranda bird centre near Auckland also worth a visit, superb waders.

Agree re Kaikoura and wherever else don't miss TiriTiri.

Stewart Island is also hotspot for the only day activ Kiwi.
But I think minimum 3 days hike is needed.

Tiritiri Matangi is also very good for Takahe and another 11 endemic birds.
The island is easy reachable form Auckland.
http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/endemicbirds

Some endemics You can found on pelagic tour from Kaikoura
https://www.pumapix.com/endemic-birds-of-new-zealand/

I think You need rather 6 weeks.
Bay the way I was 6 x in New Zealand, 5 x in combination with New Caledonia.

‘East Homer Tunnel will give you Kea and South Island Wren.’

Just a note of caution: the road to Milford Sound has been subject to ‘clearway’ restrictions for fear of avalanches (was there last week) so one couldn’t stop and park up at Homer Tunnel. Of course, the situation may have changed in the meantime but worth checking

PS Blue Duck and Kea at Monkey Creek; Fiordland Crested in Milford Sound (sorry niko - although I did miss a few....not a dedicated birding trip).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back