• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

M4/3 action settings (1 Viewer)

nikonmike

These settings are for the Panasonic GX8 so may need tweaking for other models.

I shoot the GX8with the 45-175 and 100-400,only had the 100-400 a couple of months so still getting to know it but we are becoming friends.

Talking mainly about my BIF shooting my settings and some reasons for them are below,i have discussed this somewhere else on the forum but I may have changed some things since then,whilst the settings are always a work in progress I feel I have nearly got it sorted for me.

I like to shoot BIF on manual with auto ISO,this isn’t feasible with Panasonic as they don’t allow exposure compensation in manual with auto ISO.

So for BIF I have C1 set as follows

Shutter priority 1/2000th

Auto ISO up to 3200,my thinking a correctly exposed 3200 is better than a under exposed 1600.

+1 exposure compensation,i know sometimes you need more but in the situation I shoot in a bird could start in my frame with clear sky behind it and fly past trees ect,so I find +1 is best for me.

AFC focus mode 2 or 6 frames a second depending on situation and target.

49 area focus points,i was surprised I settled on this,with Nikon I only used single point,the GX8 though seems to know my intended target when panning,i guess its because the bird is the only stationery (relatively) object in the viewfinder.

Multi metering

Image review off

Raw.

All stabilizing off,my theory being it takes too long for the stabilizing to settle before the focusing can lock on,with Nikon I never took it off.

I think thats it but I have arrived at these settings bit by bit so I may have missed something.

Only thing to question: have you used higher iso than 3200? I use auto-iso on my old GH2 -- shooting raw and developing in ACDSee I can salvage such an image to my pleasure. In a newer model, i certainly would expect better high iso performance.

Niels

Only thing to question: have you used higher iso than 3200? I use auto-iso on my old GH2 -- shooting raw and developing in ACDSee I can salvage such an image to my pleasure. In a newer model, i certainly would expect better high iso performance.

Niels

Here is a 6400,i dont like using it as ime not very good at PP

Attachments

• P1100254.jpg
    P1100254.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 194
I think that looks good. I am not too sure how much work that took.

Niels

I cant remember exactly but i know there would be no NR on the bird as i dont do that,it would mainly be a mixture of shadows/highlights and curves possibly NR brushed in around the bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back