• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
A fascinating group of insects with some interesting mimics.

Here are three to start off with. Feel free to shoot my IDs down in flames ;)

First two Eristalis tenax (Drone Fly)
Epistrophe eligans
Helophilus pendulus

The following key covers Helophilus sp.:
http://home.hccnet.nl/mp.van.veen/KEYS/Helophilus/helo_key.html

The last pic is another Eristalis tenax I think.

Attachments

• eristalis_tenax_4oct04_420a.jpg
    eristalis_tenax_4oct04_420a.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 402
  • eristalis_tenax_4oct04_420b.jpg
    eristalis_tenax_4oct04_420b.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 363
  • epistrophe_eligans_22apr05_800.jpg
    epistrophe_eligans_22apr05_800.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 373
  • helophilus_22apr05_420.jpg
    helophilus_22apr05_420.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 373
  • eristalis_tenax_1may05_420b.jpg
    eristalis_tenax_1may05_420b.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Good idea starting a hoverfly thread, Brian. Tricky little blighters ;)
There was a guy on Birdforum when I first joined who used to ID mine for me. I wonder if he's still a member.
The only one I've photographed so far this year was this a.m. (see attached). It was largish and at first I thought it might be a bee fly. I don't even bother with the small dark ones as I know my camera just isn't up to getting them.
Ken

Attachments

• TQ 369418 fly1a.jpg
    TQ 369418 fly1a.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 375
  • TQ 369418 fly.jpg
    TQ 369418 fly.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 349
thought I might as well put up a few others that have been identified by 'experts' ;)
Ep. balteatus is one of the commonest and is sometimes called the marmalade fly.
there's another one (Rhingia campestris that's called the 'Heineken fly' 'cos it's got a big snout -- it reaches the parts.... :bounce:
You can see it at: http://www.gardensafari.net/english/picpages/rhingia_campestris.htm)
Ken

Attachments

• chrysotoxum_bicinctum.jpg
    chrysotoxum_bicinctum.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 312
  • dasysrphus_albostriasis.jpg
    dasysrphus_albostriasis.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 339
  • episyrphus_balteatus.jpg
    episyrphus_balteatus.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 317
  • eristalis_interruptus.jpg
    eristalis_interruptus.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 324
  • eristalis_pertinax.jpg
    eristalis_pertinax.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Thanks for these Ken. Pretty sure I had the third one recently. There is a slight typo in the name given for that on the Birdforum thead you mentioned. It should be Dasysyrphus albostriatus.

brianhstone said:
Thanks for these Ken. Pretty sure I had the third one recently. There is a slight typo in the name given for that on the Birdforum thead you mentioned. It should be Dasysyrphus albostriatus.
Thanks, I'll correct it.
Ken

Andrew said:
How did you manage to photograph so many different ones, they never let me get close enough!
persistence--sometimes it pays to wait by a marigold and wait for one to come!
In case anyone's interested here's a few more:
Ken

Attachments

• Eupeodes_luniger.jpg
    Eupeodes_luniger.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 309
  • helophilus_pendulus.jpg
    helophilus_pendulus.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 307
  • saeva_selenitica.jpg
    saeva_selenitica.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 314
  • sphaerophoria_scripta.jpg
    sphaerophoria_scripta.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 332
  • syrphus_ribesii.jpg
    syrphus_ribesii.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I saw several types of hoverfly while walking the dog this a.m. The only photo I got was of this one on an apple tree in our garden. Not in a very helpful position, I'm afraid! It was about 10mm long.
Ken

Attachments

• garden_hover.jpg
    garden_hover.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 349
Surreybirder said:
Good idea starting a hoverfly thread, Brian. Tricky little blighters ;)
There was a guy on Birdforum when I first joined who used to ID mine for me. I wonder if he's still a member.
The only one I've photographed so far this year was this a.m. (see attached). It was largish and at first I thought it might be a bee fly. I don't even bother with the small dark ones as I know my camera just isn't up to getting them.
Ken
Hi Ken,
this one is Leucozona lucorum, a fairly common spring species; but attractive nonetheless!
Cheers,
Steve.

Surreybirder said:
I saw several types of hoverfly while walking the dog this a.m. The only photo I got was of this one on an apple tree in our garden. Not in a very helpful position, I'm afraid! It was about 10mm long.
Ken
Hi again ;) this one is Epistrophe eligans. Loads in the garden and elsewhere at the moment.
Cheers,

Steve.

thanks, Steve... common or not, they're new ones for me. I saw another E eligans this a.m. I'll try and photo it just to be sure! (It's in the fridge at the moment.)
Ken

Edit: active little blighter! Here are a couple of shots taken before I released him.
Am I right in thinking that you can sex hoverflies by the gap between their eyes? Compare this one with that in post #2.

Attachments

• TQ358406-d.jpg
    TQ358406-d.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 318
  • TQ358406-b.jpg
    TQ358406-b.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
persistence--sometimes it pays to wait by a marigold and wait for one to come!
In case anyone's interested here's a few more:
Ken
Hi again Ken,
I think the third picture in this batch is Scaeva pyrastri rather than selenitica. The lunules are too blunt to be the latter I feel [and also it is a pretty scarce species - according to 'Stubbs'].
After saying that I'm not an expert as you know so it might be worth posting it on the Yahoo Hoverflies group as well.
Cheers,
Steve.

steve covey said:
Hi again Ken,
I think the third picture in this batch is Scaeva pyrastri rather than selenitica. The lunules are too blunt to be the latter I feel [and also it is a pretty scarce species - according to 'Stubbs'].
After saying that I'm not an expert as you know so it might be worth posting it on the Yahoo Hoverflies group as well.
Cheers,
Steve.
You may well be right, Steve. It's sometimes a case of which 'expert' you believe!
Ken

Andrew said:
How did you manage to photograph so many different ones, they never let me get close enough!

I tried your Billy C quote out on a friend. He replied:
But do you feel the hole in his shoes where the cold gets in?

Food for thought!!

Hoverfly? for ID

Hi,
I think that this is a hoverfly - any offers on an ID?
Thanks,
Hugh

Attachments

• 55E12D0234.jpg
    55E12D0234.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 328
Wow. So many hover flies. So many bumblebees. One of the groups that really catches my attention are robber flies. I understand they are predatory. Some of them sure look freaky with their front legs hanging down and their somewhat bucked tooth look staring at you as they hover in the middle of the road waiting to jump another insect (I presume). They are the size of a medium bumblebee. Do any of you have any expertise with these?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back