BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Binoculars (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Insane dreams about binoculars (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=357079)

Sancho Friday 9th February 2018 20:46

Insane dreams about binoculars
 
I've had many of these over the years, including using magic binos that don't exist. But a few nights ago I dreamt my 8x32 SE's had a nasty coating of something that looked like salt all over the objectives. I tried to lick it off (it was a dream, remember!), and could only get a tiny circle in the centre clear of the salt, which seemed to grow thicker and more granular and opaque on the outer objectives. I looked through them and they were fine (except what I saw was something between a Peacock and a Ferrari). Then I got a chisel and started to try to scrape the stuff off, fully aware that this was a very bad idea. I awoke and breathed a sigh of relief. Do you think I should stop reading the bino forum? (Or perhaps get a Life?)

Sancho Friday 9th February 2018 20:50

Whoops Sorry Mods, I meant to write this in the bino-forum..can you move it? I don't seem to be able to delete it.

ClarkWGriswold Friday 9th February 2018 21:01

Done

NDhunter Friday 9th February 2018 21:57

Sancho, you are not insane, just a binocular enthusiast.

According to you, they are just tubes with glass on the ends. And that is true.

My latest incoming is in my favorite make, Zeiss. The 8x30 Diafun, and I hope I have fun with it.

I will report on my decision. These were highly regarded back in the day.

Jerry

gunut Friday 9th February 2018 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDhunter (Post 3676508)

My latest incoming is in my favorite make, Zeiss. The 8x30 Diafun, and I hope I have fun with it.

I will report on my decision. These were highly regarded back in the day.

Jerry

Well maybe not....."decent optics" but were constantly degraded by the optics gurus of the day for build quality and styling.....
BTW I have 2 that are still LNIB that I like a lot....but then I always liked the original Conquest......

NDhunter Friday 9th February 2018 22:33

I said that with a bit of sarcasm. And you seem to be a collector extraordinaire.

I have lots of favorite makes, it just depends on the time and day.

If it has the Zeiss badge, it must be good.

Jerry

Sancho Friday 9th February 2018 22:37

Thanks NDHunter and Gunut! I'm happy to report that in real waking life my SE's are pristine. Best of luck with those Zeiss, ND...I really would like to try a Conquest HD 8x32, but there are none in the very few bino-stores hereabouts.

Patudo Friday 9th February 2018 23:05

Brilliant. Binoculars don't feature in my dreams but I do (often) daydream about how it would be if some of the classic models of the past could be brought up to date with multi-coating, phase coating, etc...

[email protected] Friday 9th February 2018 23:59

Sancho. I have found the brand of binoculars you own affects what type of dreams you have. With Swarovski's you only have good dreams like this.;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fH2FOn1V5g

gunut Saturday 10th February 2018 01:54

I don't know....sounds like Swarovski crystals attacking his bin....

etudiant Saturday 10th February 2018 02:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 3676487)
a few nights ago I dreamt my 8x32 SE's had a nasty coating of something that looked like salt all over the objectives. I tried to lick it off
Then I got a chisel and started to try to scrape the stuff off, fully aware that this was a very bad idea. (Or perhaps get a Life?)

Sancho, you must have more patience, especially in your dreams.
Licking stuff off the binocular lenses is a proud tradition because it works, although perhaps more gradually than usual in your dreams.
In real life, it is a lot easier to just lick off the eyepiece lenses than it is to scrub them with some bit of fabric. No bits of grit get scraped across the coatings and there is nothing to put into the laundry.

tenex Saturday 10th February 2018 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 3676487)
I've had many of these over the years, including using magic binos that don't exist. But a few nights ago I dreamt...

Thanks for sharing this, it's quite special. I've had dreams involving birds before, but not a bird-car. (Is that like a duck-rabbit?) And never binos. What could your magic binos do, if I may ask?

Chosun Juan Saturday 10th February 2018 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 3676487)
..... a few nights ago I dreamt my 8x32 SE's had a nasty coating of something that looked like salt all over the objectives. I tried to lick it off .....

Sancho, this is obviously a dietary issue .... the only cure is to cease imbibing all forms of alcohol immediately! :bounce: B (:



Chosun :gh:

Chosun Juan Saturday 10th February 2018 05:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 3676487)
..... (except what I saw was something between a Peacock and a Ferrari) ....

Sancho I like your style! :t:

A high winding Peacock turning at 10 000rpm --- I'm sure Enzo would approve! Lol



Chosun :gh:

Troubador Saturday 10th February 2018 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosun Juan (Post 3676605)
Sancho I like your style! :t:

A high winding Peacock turning at 10 000rpm --- I'm sure Enzo would approve! Lol



Chosun :gh:

Yes! And have you heard a Peacock call? Imagine that sound crossed with a V12 at full chat :eek!:

Lee

Troubador Saturday 10th February 2018 06:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 3676527)
Thanks NDHunter and Gunut! I'm happy to report that in real waking life my SE's are pristine. Best of luck with those Zeiss, ND...I really would like to try a Conquest HD 8x32, but there are none in the very few bino-stores hereabouts.

There is only one solution Sancho. Come to Bird Fair in August. PM me if you need recommendation about where to stay.

Lee

Sancho Saturday 10th February 2018 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenex (Post 3676589)
Thanks for sharing this, it's quite special. I've had dreams involving birds before, but not a bird-car. (Is that like a duck-rabbit?) And never binos. What could your magic binos do, if I may ask?

I had a dream once about buying a pair of fairly compact IS binos that zoomed like a telescope up to 60x.

Sancho Saturday 10th February 2018 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by etudiant (Post 3676578)
Sancho, you must have more patience, especially in your dreams.
Licking stuff off the binocular lenses is a proud tradition because it works, although perhaps more gradually than usual in your dreams.

Actually I think the licking-the-lenses reference in the dream came from a real BF post I seem to remember from years ago. Was it yours, Etudiant?

Sancho Saturday 10th February 2018 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenex (Post 3676589)
Thanks for sharing this, it's quite special. I've had dreams involving birds before, but not a bird-car.

It was kind of like the things in the Transformers movies my kids used to watch when they were young. Not as big, just car-sized, bright red, but with a multi-coloured, feathered head and wings, very glittery. But it had wheels and robotic movements. I didn't hear it call. Probably just as well.

Sancho Saturday 10th February 2018 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubador (Post 3676624)
There is only one solution Sancho. Come to Bird Fair in August. PM me if you need recommendation about where to stay.

Lee

Excellent idea. I've never been to a bird-fair (not enough birders here to make it a useful marketing exercise). And I'm on school hols in August!:t:

Sancho Saturday 10th February 2018 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chosun Juan (Post 3676592)
Sancho, this is obviously a dietary issue .... the only cure is to cease imbibing all forms of alcohol immediately! :bounce: B (:



Chosun :gh:

Weirdly, I'd only had a cup of tea before bedtime...B (:

mooreorless Saturday 10th February 2018 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sancho (Post 3676687)
Actually I think the licking-the-lenses reference in the dream came from a real BF post I seem to remember from years ago. Was it yours, Etudiant?

Sancho, I thought that I had said this , but here is one link about it.:-O

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...64&postcount=8

Here is another link from same person with more about it.:t:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...8&postcount=45

Troubador Saturday 10th February 2018 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooreorless (Post 3676732)
Sancho, I thought that I had said this , but here is one link about it.:-O

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...64&postcount=8

But isn't James talking about your body and not your binos?

Lee
(:-O)

mooreorless Saturday 10th February 2018 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubador (Post 3676740)
But isn't James talking about your body and not your binos?

Lee
(:-O)

Thanks for the laugh!!:-O BTW I am not sure about Sancho, but I wonder about my sanity sometimes.;)

I just noticed all the laughing bounce smilies move at the same time.

Sancho Saturday 10th February 2018 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troubador (Post 3676740)
But isn't James talking about your body and not your binos?

Lee
(:-O)

:-O! Here's an idea....let's all report on the taste of lens-coatings by different manufacturers. Perhaps the alphas give more refined tastes...caviar, a drop of Chablis? All the way down to Tasco bins tasting of burger n' chips. Not a bad marketing spin, considering I've fallen for all the other ones. D'you think I should copyright it, or ask Swaro for a job?


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:40.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2018