Hi Bubbs, no mate I meant Desert Tawny Owl. Unless you go at the exact time of the Birdrace and book on one of the tours.
This trip I paid guides to go to see Sooty Falcons and also to try for Nubian Nightjars, but I was told there was no chance really of going to see Desert Tawny Owls even if...
ARABIAN WARBLER - Regards access to Wadi Gidron and Shezaf NR at Hazeva, I have done a bit of a map to explain the different access points. It will only be useful if you are after this species. There are 9 key points of reference, with dotted lines marking the tracks you should take.
Thanks Jos, as you will gathered, they are only once a year. Self-depreciation counts for a lot (:-
Back to life's mundaneness now, though still hope this autumn will bring me a White's Thrush or something as good.
Thank you very much for the positive feedback Richard and Mike, and for the tip about the hare too.
I notice I've linked the wrong signpost photo to Sde Boker Vineyards above. Oh well, its too late to edit.
But it looks very similar.
Finally Sde Boker Vineyard, my desert home for 4 nights.
1) The signpost on Route 40 for Sde Boker Vineyard.
2) My lodge, lodge number 3 (of 5 available).
3) My evening meal - cheese and tomato on local bread, cake, and beer - with bino's at the ready.
4) Sunset at my lodge. Stunning location!
Photos around Sde Boker.
1) The viewpoint at Midreshet Ben Gurion - of Ein Avdat and Zin Valley Cliffs. Golden eagle, Bonelli's Eagle (occasionally), Vultures, Lanner, Barbary, and Sooty Falcon breed somewhere on these cliffs. But access is difficult or expensive.
2) The grounds around...
Photos HaBesor Nature reserve, and Urim, in the upper Negev.
1) The rope bridge, where Little Bitterns and Palestine Sunbirds thrive,
2) Another image of the same rope bridge. The 10 km-long track adjacent to the bridge provided excellent birding.
3) The famous dome landmark at Urim fields...
Photos Nizzana, Ashalim, and Yerochum Lake.
1) The old train carriage converted into a hide at Km7-8 on the Nizzana-Ezuz road, looking back along the road towards Nizzana. From here you can scan for MacQueen's Bustard. But they are very difficult to locate despite their size, out of breeding...
Photos at Shezaf NR, near Hazeva, and Ne'ot Hakkikar, Dead Sea.
1) The best place for Arabian Warbler is Shezaf NR. Many UK birders access Shezaf off Route 90 at km152, but this is a sandy track. The most obvious access is signposted off the same road where Hazeva Field School is located. Where...
Photos around Hazeva.
Hazeva Field School is clearly signposted off Route 90 around Km155. Access to both Wadi Gidron and Shezaf NR is signposted off this same road to the Field School, which lies just 200 metres off Route 90.
1) The signpost off this road to Wadi Gidron (and Ras Ashita) -...
Please bear in mind these are just mobile phone photographs, so none of birds (live ones)
Photos around Dead Sea.
1) View of the famous wadi's by the Dead Sea.
2) The famous Dead Sea Works, which make Ellesmere Port look nice!
3) Lot Reservoir, by the Dead Sea, off Route 90. This is the small...
This trip was specifically planned for this usually unpopular time of year to bird in Israel, as I hoped to see 3 fairly difficult Western Palearctic raptors - Sooty Falcon, Lanner Falcon, and Levant Sparrowhawk, that I badly wanted to see, and then there was always other lifers I saw...