View Single Post
Old Sunday 13th January 2013, 14:31   #954
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Yes indeed Andrew, but I hand-hold it to a 85mm Zeiss Diascope with a 20-50x zoom that is getting on for ten years old!

I was to tired to get out today, but yesterday I spent the morning up at Kadoorie Farm hoping to see if Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush was wintering again this year. I had no luck there, but the Farm was full of thrushes and I was able to confirm five different Pale Thrushes and three Grey-backed Thrushes, plus the usual assortment of tantalising calls.

I also had a fine count of eight Red-flanked Bluetails and a couple each of Daurian Redstart and Rufous-tailed Robin, but really not too much else birdwise.

On the way down the stee path I'd seen the Small Niltava on last month I was watching the second Rufous-tailed Robin, when I heard a scuffling in the leaves below me. As I turned round I was astonished to see the back end of a Leopard Cat, (identified from a domestic cat, by the white spots on the back of each ear and a nice fat tail), walking slowly out of view behind a tree.

I was even more amazed when it stopped and looked at me from cover about 20 yards away, allowing me to get some pictures with the trusty Coolpix - and sadly no scope as it's all forest birding at the Farm - now those would have been killers!

Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3052 Leopard cat 1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	423158  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3060 Leopard Cat 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	423159