View Single Post
Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 20:03   #26
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post

The most annoying problem that I face is seeing birds in forest canopy when there are many small breaks in the canopy (bright spots of light in the view) coupled with rain or extremely hot and high humidity conditions. In these cases it always seems that my eyeglasses and bins are fogging and that everything is lurking in the dark with a veil of back-lit fog between it and me.

--AP
Alexis hit the nail on the head, this for me is the single most challenging situation to find oneself in, particularly if it is a target bird you are finally seeing after months of planning, a long haul flight, a knackering walk, and then locating something on call in steamy dense forest!

Apologies for the slight diversion, but does anyone have a suggestion to reduce fogging of glasses and/or binocular oculars when looking at an acute angle in rainforest?
I suspect the issue relates to the size of the surface area of the glasses and the combination of sweat and high humidity - would a smaller "reading glasses" type pair be more appropriate (even with the limitations of a reduced fov being in focus? Is there an anti-fogging spray which can be applied to prescription glasses?

@axbridge_birder