View Single Post
Old Thursday 8th March 2018, 18:06   #9
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
The Habicht was simply superb - very bright, superbly colour neutral and transparent with great apparent sharpness and contrast. Comparing the three [Habicht, HT, SV] there was little in it - both the Habicht and SV showed more glare and a bit more CA at the edge and the SV [to my eyes] always looks a bit bluish and colder than the other two. The Habicht and SV had larger sweetspots.
I've got the 7x42 and the 10x40 Habicht, and having done a pretty thorough comparison between the HT and the Habicht 10x40 I'm with you here - the optical quality of the Habicht is quite outstanding. As far as glare is concerned, I even feel the Habicht is just a little bit better; it's a lot better than the 8x30 in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Now, to address the idea of using the Habicht as a daily birding glass - forget it, never, no way, no how. The focus is ridiculously stiff and slow and even stiffened more in the 3 C temps. You would peel the skin from your fingertips trying to keep up with actual living / flying birds. So, a wonderful reference standard and boutique bin but not a birding optic IMO.
And that's where I don't quite agree. Sure, in woodland or at migration hotspots with passerines moving around in the bushes all the time, the Habicht with it's slow and stiffish focuser doesn't cut it. It's simply not fast enough, even though the focuser does loosen up over time.

However, as soon as you're out and about in wide, open places, the Habicht works pretty well, for instance at the coast and above the tree line in the mountains. I used the 10x40 for my last trip to Norway last year, and the Habicht worked really well in the Dovrefjell, Jotunheimen und the Hardangervidda. And it's very low weight (for a 10x40) proved to be a real asset on the long trips in the Norwegian mountains.

I think the Habicht most suited to daily use in all sorts of habitats is the 7x42, provided one can adapt to the small field of view. Optically it's even better than the 8x30 and the 10x40, with pretty good sharpness near the edge and NO problems with glare at all, and the small magnification means you don't have to focus quite so much.

Hermann