• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic SDR-S26 (1 Viewer)

Stroggler

Hey

Is it possible to use a camcorder with good zoom (like Panasonic SDR-S26) for recording birds without using a scope? Quality?

/ Johan

Quality - rubbish! I bought one, it's going to be traded in for an HD model with a much smaller zoom range but a hopefully a much better picture.

I'd agree with Geoff about the quality, I tested an S26 recently and was very disapointed in the image quality. The camera itself is very impressive, it's very small and light with an excellent zoom range, but when you review your footage it all goes wrong. The test viedo I shot is of a noticably lower quality than the footage I can get from my compact digi camera!

I have spent some time comparing different camcorders and from what I've seen if you want a standard def one you need to be looking at Sony or Canon. The quality of footage is clearly better with a good high def camcorder but as Geoff mentioned you don't get the same big zoom ranges on these camcorders.

Maybe Canon FS200?

Of the standard def camcorders I've tested recently the Canon FS100 (they didn't have the fs200 in stock) and the Sony SR75 had the best image quality - they aren't up there with high def ones but are still very good. If you can find a local store that has them in stock then it's worth getting some test footage from a few and see which suits you.

Panasonic

Quality - rubbish! I bought one, it's going to be traded in for an HD model with a much smaller zoom range but a hopefully a much better picture.

Couldn't agree with you more. Ball park figure for trading up to HD camcorder £75. Do stick with new SD 10 or go for Sony/Canon. Weight is aproblem with other loads of camera kit.

Doug Helsby

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back