• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx joins with Cornell (1 Viewer)

Does this mean that Lynx/HBW and Birdlife are divorced? And if they are not divorced does this mean Birdlife and Cornell and now buds?

If so what does this mean for the unification of the world's disparate checklists?

How on earth do you unify the Birdlife/HBW checklist and the Cornell/Clements/eBird checklist - let alone the IOC one. And what does this mean for the relationship between Birdlife and the BOU...

Wheels within wheels.

P

Could you guys for once please not make this about personal animosities or language preferences?

Personally I'm stoked about this collaboration and even though there's not much information in the text above I really look forward to what's coming. How awesome would it be if all the different birding ressources could be combined into one huge project! This could be a starting point for something! I really hope it isn't just something minor.

Nothing to do with preference, I was simply musing what the implications were and nomenclature is an obvious area which may be affected.

Latest communication on this merger:

"We’re excited to provide more detail around the upcoming transition for current HBW Alive subscribers over to the new "Birds of the World" platform managed and maintained by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Current HBW Alive subscribers will continue enjoying the HBW Alive contents, plus many benefits on the new platform, such as a streamlined user interface and design, full integration with the reporting and listing tools of eBird, access to the rich media resources of the Macaulay Library, deep ornithological content incorporated from the revered Birds of North America and Neotropical Birds platforms, and a rapidly evolving team of ornithological experts contributing and curating new content and updates. There are many aspects to this transition, and below we provide initial details on some of the key elements. Expect a series of updates from us during the transition, informing you of our progress and the steps that should be taken, as well as further instructions for users of the MyBirding component of HBW Alive.

Timing—We expect the transition to take about a year. In the interim, the HBW Alive site will remain active and you will be able to access the site as usual. We anticipate a smooth process when the site is technically transitioned, such that end-users should not see a gap in service. We will inform users of the transition date, and track carefully any technical issues that may arise. We expect the Birds of the World site to be active sometime in early 2020.

Current Subscriptions—The Cornell Lab will honor your existing subscription terms currently held with Lynx. When your subscription term ends, you will be able to renew at a similar price. Current subscription holders will need to create an account in the Cornell system, however, so that we can track the subscription term across the transition. Directions for doing that will follow separately.

MyBirding—With explicit user permission, we plan to shift each user’s MyBirding data over to eBird. eBird will be closely integrated with the Birds of the World, providing many similar features currently available through MyBirding, and a whole lot more. Your birding data will join those of a global community of more than 450,000 active users, sharing information on birds and furthering bird conservation and science. Expect a separate communication detailing the transition of MyBirding information to eBird, and the steps required for that to proceed.

Internet Bird Collection—We are aware that many of you also use the Internet Bird Collection. The incorporation of that collection into the Macaulay Library will be handled separately. If you are an IBC contributor, expect to hear more from the Macaulay Library shortly about that transition plan.

We hope you share in our excitement at this time of change. We are here to provide support and ensure a smooth transition. We are certain that the level of service and scholarship provided by our resources will continue to meet and exceed your expectations."

So what to make of that then? I've highlighted three key areas for me: the IOC and Cornell's terms of use for photos is probably the biggest concern. T&C from eBird: https://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/2159591-ebird-media-licensing-agreement?b_id=1928 and the key paragraph:

"By submitting your audiovisual media (hereinafter the "Content") to the Cornell Lab, you retain the copyright to this Content, and you thereby grant to Cornell University a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and perpetual license, in all media (print, electronic, or other), to use, distribute, sublicense (see below), reproduce, modify, adapt, and publicly display the Content for any purposes that further the research and educational mission of the Cornell Lab. These purposes may include (without limitation) scientific research, display on Cornell Lab websites such as eBird, Macaulay Library, Birds of North America Online, and Neotropical Birds, promotional uses, and inclusion in Cornell Lab multimedia content and products. We retain the right to sublicense the Content for research use, but will not sublicense the Content to any third party for commercial use without your permission. Whenever the Cornell Lab uses your media, you will be attributed."

Got the email as well. Still fails to mention what's happening taxonomy wise.

It basically reads as a complete takeover of HBW Alive by Cornell and the resultant shutdown of HBW Alive by the purchaser.

"By submitting your audiovisual media (hereinafter the "Content") to the Cornell Lab, you retain the copyright to this Content, and you thereby grant to Cornell University a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and perpetual license, in all media (print, electronic, or other), to use, distribute, sublicense (see below), reproduce, modify, adapt, and publicly display the Content for any purposes that further the research and educational mission of the Cornell Lab. These purposes may include (without limitation) scientific research, display on Cornell Lab websites such as eBird, Macaulay Library, Birds of North America Online, and Neotropical Birds, promotional uses, and inclusion in Cornell Lab multimedia content and products. We retain the right to sublicense the Content for research use, but will not sublicense the Content to any third party for commercial use without your permission. Whenever the Cornell Lab uses your media, you will be attributed."

I highlighted one sentence in here which I believe was added due to input from birders. One of the uses that the Macaulay images have been put to is the Merlin bird id app, and I think those type of uses are why Cornell sees the need for the rest of the paragraph.

Niels

Will Gallus gallus be infected with salmonella and chlorine-washed, or will we retain the right to high hygeine?

|:S| :king: :flyaway:

May I ask, where that second letter can be found? For some reason I seem to have (been?) unsubscribed from the HBW Newsletter, but fortunately this can be found online, including the first letter. The second however I cannot find.

Personally I look very much forward to this merger as I like both ebird and HBW Alive and have no concerns about any of them, so I think if this is done with the necessary care and technical astuteness us birders will profit greatly from this.
I wonder about the many implications this will have and look forward to hearing more details.
Even if it was a 'takeover' instead of a merger, what would the main concerns be? Taxonomy will definitely be affected, but how many of you had actually ever embraced HBW/Birdlife taxonomy? What features might we lose? How will this compare to the ones we gain?

It looks like we might lose IBC as an independent location to look for images of a given species.

Niels

Taxonomy will definitely be affected, but how many of you had actually ever embraced HBW/Birdlife taxonomy? What features might we lose? How will this compare to the ones we gain?

Good question. I follow IOC taxonomy, but I do tend to target HBW splits on foreign trips as insurance. My sense is that HBW is basically a "quick and dirty" and ahead of the curve, and that IOC is playing catch-up and will adopt most HBW splits eventually.

I highlighted one sentence in here which I believe was added due to input from birders. One of the uses that the Macaulay images have been put to is the Merlin bird id app, and I think those type of uses are why Cornell sees the need for the rest of the paragraph.

Niels

I don't like the fact that Birds of North America Online is behind a pay wall. I suspect neotropical birds will go that way one day—which is why I've been very circumspect in contributing to it. I understand that websites cost, but I think it's better to do this by donations [like BF] when so much of the content is contributed for free. I'd also support paying if it were a not-for-profit.

I don't like the fact that Birds of North America Online is behind a pay wall. I suspect neotropical birds will go that way one day—which is why I've been very circumspect in contributing to it. I understand that websites cost, but I think it's better to do this by donations [like BF] when so much of the content is contributed for free. I'd also support paying if it were a not-for-profit.

BNA online access used to be a perk of being a member in AOU (and probably still is ...)

Niels

you thereby grant to Cornell University a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and perpetual license, in all media (print, electronic, or other), to use, distribute, sublicense (see below), reproduce, modify, adapt, and publicly display the Content for any purposes that further the research and educational mission of the Cornell Lab[/COLOR]. These purposes may include (without limitation) scientific research, display on Cornell Lab websites such as eBird, Macaulay Library, Birds of North America Online, and Neotropical Birds, promotional uses, and inclusion in Cornell Lab multimedia content and products. We retain the right to sublicense the Content for research use, but will not sublicense the Content to any third party for commercial use without your permission. Whenever the Cornell Lab uses your media, you will be attributed."

Is it a guarantee that personal records and media uploaded to open platforms will not be privatized and put behind a paywall?

What happens to publications using records provided for free by individual people, which Cornell and HBW probably will not give for free?

Is it a guarantee that personal records and media uploaded to open platforms will not be privatized and put behind a paywall?

What happens to publications using records provided for free by individual people, which Cornell and HBW probably will not give for free?

Yup, that is surely the agenda - full monetisation of the platform - best remove personal content if you want control over your material.

cheers, a

It is easy enough to ask for data from ebird and use that for analysis that results in a publication. Usually permission to do so is given very quickly and for free.

Niels

I think that anyone who has paid for the full set of HBW, should get a free subscription anyway as others have noted in the past.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back