• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parrot or red crossbill? Photos from NW Poland, 29.01.2020 (1 Viewer)

Ryszard

Hi

I have a request to help identify this bird

Regards, Ryszard

Attachments

• IMG_9767.JPG
    IMG_9767.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_9768.JPG
    IMG_9768.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 224
I was thinking, despite the apparent thickness of the bill, that the head looked rather small! Also the bill is a bit foreshortened (and blurred, too!), making shape assessment unsafe. So I'm going to err on the side of caution and go for Common Crossbill.

They are variable hence one of the reasons for debate over 'Scotbill' but this bird has that 'bull necked' appearance too.

So for believers in that taxon, bill thickness goes: common <=Scottish <=parrot. From the pics I've seen, this is well to the right of that spectrum. Since "Scottish" isn't recorded from Poland that makes it parrot for me (don't personally believe in Scottish crossbill as a species but I think it an interesting phenomenon if really restricted to Scots pine: a bit like Scottish crested tit or British swallowtail butterfly)

Do you by any chance have a sound recording of this bird? Wouldn't be too sure about it being a Parrot Crossbill from a blurred picture like that...

So for believers in that taxon, bill thickness goes: common <=Scottish <=parrot. From the pics I've seen, this is well to the right of that spectrum. Since "Scottish" isn't recorded from Poland that makes it parrot for me (don't personally believe in Scottish crossbill as a species but I think it an interesting phenomenon if really restricted to Scots pine: a bit like Scottish crested tit or British swallowtail butterfly)

This is one of the problems, I'm not sure they are. Birds fitting the bill measurements which would usually be assigned to Scottish, have been recorderd as far South as Derbyshire I believe.

This bird as I said, does seem to be structurally more bulky than the usual Common I see on my patch in Russia.

Attached are two birds from Russia, one, tentatively assigned as Parrot which we found during the mass movement a few years ago, the others are in a Scots Pine, right outside our window. Even from this angle, structural differences are fairly obvious?

PS Never seen a Swallowtail on Scots Pine.........:eek!: ;)

Attachments

• Common Crossbill.jpg
    Common Crossbill.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Parrot Crossbill.jpg
    Parrot Crossbill.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Is that Spruce in the OP Nutty?

The only way I can ID them roughly, is that the braches angle down to the ground and the fruits (?) are hanging rather than on top of a stem?

I know there's a thing about rolling the needles but I can't seem to see the difference when I've tried it.

Last edited:
Do you by any chance have a sound recording of this bird? Wouldn't be too sure about it being a Parrot Crossbill from a blurred picture like that...

I agree that a degree of caution is best when the photos as are poor as these, but I can't see this being anything other than Parrot. It's got a beak like a macaw!

Is that Spruce in the OP Nutty?
Yep, Norway Spruce Picea abies - which tends to count against Parrot Xbill, tho' not an absolute bar on it.

The only way I can ID them roughly, is that the braches angle down to the ground and the fruits (?) are hanging rather than on top of a stem?

I know there's a thing about rolling the needles but I can't seem to see the difference when I've tried it.
That's more for distinguishing spruces from silver firs (though some spruces have flat needles too) - not relevant here, as crossbills don't go for silver fir cones (not ever, as far as I know). To tell spruces from pines:

*Needles single, fairly short (usually under 3 cm) = spruce
*Needles in pairs (or 3s or 5s), longer (usually over 4 cm) = pine

*Closed cones cylindrical, pendulous = spruce
*Closed cones conical (triangular: broad base narrowing to pointed tip) = pine

The ratio of bill height at the base to length is closer to 1.5 than 1.1 which would point to Common Crossbill. They are also massive birds. But you can put it on clanga.com or whatever.

Bill depth to length ratio is structure ;) but he reckons its structure points more to Common than Parrot (and I'd tend to agree, tho' not sure the measurements can be made accurately from a pic of this quality)

Well, hardly. It's two dimensions. It's like saying the Sydney Opera House is a building that is 150m x 125m. So is an Amazon warehouse.

Bill depth to length ratio is structure ;) but he reckons its structure points more to Common than Parrot (and I'd tend to agree, tho' not sure the measurements can be made accurately from a pic of this quality)

Being pedantic Nutty, you actually refer to 'bill structure'.

The OP is a bulky bird with a big head and thick neck IMO, more so than I'd expect from any Common?

If by 'structure' you mean the head and neck thickness, then Ryszard's bird is for me fully in the range of Common Crossbills. They are bulky birds, too. It may be that birds in cold weather puff their feathers.

But I am not the expert in crossbills so directed Ryszard to the Polish website where at least one member of the Polish rarities commitee is a regular.

Thank you all for the answer.
Information about bird watching is posted on ornitho.pl. However, I think like you that the photo is too weak so I leave it as Loxia sp.

To tell spruces from pines:

*Needles single, fairly short (usually under 3 cm) = spruce
*Needles in pairs (or 3s or 5s), longer (usually over 4 cm) = pine

*Closed cones cylindrical, pendulous = spruce
*Closed cones conical (triangular: broad base narrowing to pointed tip) = pine

except you have a lot of plantings of Weymouth pine Pinus strobus (there are in some areas in Northern Germany) the cones are rather more cylindrical, long and hanging in that species , but the needles make clear its a pine

In some other exotic pines thats similar, e.g. P. wallichiana

concerning the crossbill, I also think common

except you have a lot of plantings of Weymouth pine Pinus strobus (there are in some areas in Northern Germany) the cones are rather more cylindrical, long and hanging in that species , but the needles make clear its a pine

In some other exotic pines thats similar, e.g. P. wallichiana
Yep - though those would be of more interest to a Nutcracker than a Crossbill 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back