• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mysterious swallow. NW Poland 26.11.2014 (1 Viewer)

Ryszard

Hi

Is it possible to exclude swallows number 1 and 2 from these photos?

1. Delichon urbicum
2. Riparia riparia
3. something else

Regards

Ryszard

Attachments

• 26.11.2014r. 008.jpg
    26.11.2014r. 008.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 26.11.2014r. 011.jpg
    26.11.2014r. 011.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 26.11.2014r. 013 — kopia.jpg
    26.11.2014r. 013 — kopia.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 26.11.2014r. 014.jpg
    26.11.2014r. 014.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 173
Wouldn't it look more "contrasty" if it was one? This bird looks quite dull/uniform, possibly too much so for either House or Sand Martin. I wonder about Ptyonoprogne sp, especially given that any hirundine would be unlikely so far north in late November...

They are difficult images to judge tone and contrast, my first overall impression was a Crag Martin type but from what I can see the tail looks wrong - perhaps just closed in those images but looking too long winged in no.4 for that species. Some H. Martin's can look quite pale, particularly Eastern birds I recall. On these photos I would say it is unidentifiable to a species.

Last edited:
Given that Crag Martin is not on the Polish list, is this bird "just" a bleached and worn Sand Martin?
P

I know that this bird cannot be labeled as a species. It's enough for me that it's not Hause Martin or Sand Martin. Although it would be nice if someone managed to isolate several species that are most likely.
* "bleached and worn Sand Martin" seems to me much less likely than if it were a bird from Africa, Asia and North America. The more that I am lucky to find rare birds in my area;)

I agree that it’s probably a House Martin but what did it look like to you as it was flying about Ryszard, you managed four photos so presumably you watched it through binoculars to begin with?

Asian House Martin would be a (very rare) option to consider this late in the year - a main distinguishing feature from House Martin would be black underwing coverts. Not sure what I can see in these pics.

I remember that the bird flew very chaotically, often changed direction. Through binoculars I saw that it is a swift or swallow and I started taking pictures without thinking.
Shouldn't Hause Martin have a two-colored tail like I presented in the picture?

Attachments

• 26.11.2014r. 008.jpg
    26.11.2014r. 008.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 65
Then it has to be a House Martin - question is which ssp.? Not possible to tell from this pics. It is not too unusual to see House Martins in November - I know of a few records in NE Germany in the last decade...

ok. but i still don't understand why my bird's tail is one color?
In the pictures below I have drawn examples of the colors of the tail of Haus Martin and Pale Crag Martin and my bird.

Attachments

• BIF426_MPU_I1Q6765_130605_chmartin-urbicum_2CY_d_prignitz.jpg
    BIF426_MPU_I1Q6765_130605_chmartin-urbicum_2CY_d_prignitz.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 33
  • BIF2468_MPU_I1Q7918_15022015_rockmartin_oman_ash-shuwaymiyyah.jpg
    BIF2468_MPU_I1Q7918_15022015_rockmartin_oman_ash-shuwaymiyyah.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 26.11.2014r. 008.jpg
    26.11.2014r. 008.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 57
ok. but i still don't understand why my bird's tail is one color?
In the pictures below I have drawn examples of the colors of the tail of Haus Martin and Pale Crag Martin and my bird.

I think it shows a pale under-tail with partial shadow along the total length.

Cheers

I think it is a House Martin, for example pale/white undertail, and a hint of paler underwing coverts on pic 3.

Digital cameras produce such leaks of color that it is fully possible to make uppertail white because of the sun glare.

Actually, there are now so many poor but potentially interesting bird pics, that one might investigate how exactly digital cameras transform colors. It could help such cases.

No offence but those are crappy photos. I'd focus on features which are most obvious. In this case the white rump that can be seen (or guessed) on pic 3...

Yes it seems to have a white rump in pics 3 and 4. It can be hard to see more in real life sometimes with lighting conditions, so not sure much more can be advanced with these pics.

I found photos on the internet that suit me best (Pale Crag Martin). I attach them below.
I see that he has:
1. a bright white belly
2. Long wings
3. The brightest part of the top of the body is rump
4. the most important rump and tail from above are very bright

I know that digital cameras change colors. I have had many such cases. I once took a photo of Phylloscopus collybita in 2 camera settings and on one photo it came out green and on the other brown. But the camera will never distort from black and white to white and white.

Attachments

• images (5).jpg
    images (5).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 137
  • images (6).jpg
    images (6).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 139
  • images (7).jpg
    images (7).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 139
  • images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 133
  • images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back