• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

Day off today so spent the morning at Tices in the hope of more migrant waders but only 1 Common Sand, 4 LRP, & 2 Lapwing in the workings.

John.

Hi all

I am a pretty new but very keen birder, live in Farnham and have been brought up walking in our lovely countryside, took my 70 year old dad over to Tices for the first time this morning and he (who knew Badshot lea quite well in his youth) and certainly remembers the hop fields where the housing estate is now built, and I were bowled over by how lovely Tices is, my one question is we walked along the bank looking over the sandpit but can you get any closer as we couldn't see alot even through our Binos, any help would be very much appreciated

Sue

Hi all

I am a pretty new but very keen birder, live in Farnham and have been brought up walking in our lovely countryside, took my 70 year old dad over to Tices for the first time this morning and he (who knew Badshot lea quite well in his youth) and certainly remembers the hop fields where the housing estate is now built, and I were bowled over by how lovely Tices is, my one question is we walked along the bank looking over the sandpit but can you get any closer as we couldn't see alot even through our Binos, any help would be very much appreciated

Sue

Hi Sue,

Glad you enjoyed your walk at Tices, the short answer to your question is no, the only viewing of the gravel workings/meadow is from the embankment. The meadow & workings are private property & also there are ground nesting birds such as Skylark on the meadow & hence venerable to disturbance.
However Tices is a well watched site & as such next time you visit there may well be someone on site who might let you have a look through their scope.

Hope this helps,

John.

it does help thanks John, thats what I did think, Dad has a scope somewhere so may have to dig that out although we thought the woody area was just lovely as well, Dad can't believe he has lived in Farnham for 70 years and went to Badshot lea school and never knew that little spot was there, we saw whitethroats and heard loads more, am really looking forward to taking my husband next time. one more question (well for now!!) what is Tongham GP, and if that is a site where is it??

thanks again and maybe we will bump into each other at Tices one day!

Sue

Last edited:
Hi Sue,

Tongham GP is the lake adjacent to Aldershot Park visable from the A331 headed Northbound. It can be reached either from parking in Aldershot Park & crossing the River Blackwater or by walking beyond the embankment at Tices & through a copse & wasteground following the river.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks again John, if you go to tongham lake via aldershot park where do you cross the river, dad said he tried that way once but couldn't get across the river, he can't walk too far so that is probably the shortest route, thanks

Sue

Hi again Sue,

You can cross by parking near the playing fields at the rear of the park & walking across the field towards the river. The shortest route would be to head across the crematorium side of the park & take a right turn, you will soon see the bridge where you can cross.

ATB,

John.

06:00 - 07:00
Very quiet again early this morning, no waders on show apart from 4 LRP. Best birds were 2 Cuckoos that flew over NW at approx 06:15.

John.

Sunday afternoon also very quiet although I bagged my first Swifts and House Martins for Tice's this year.

Rich

Cracking near Breeding plumaged Grey Plover along with Ringed Plover on the workings this afternoon. Thought I'd missed the former last week so happy to see a second bird tonight. Thanks John!

Last edited:
No worries Rich, we wait all this time for one bird & then 2 turn up in the space of 3 weeks! Good session tonight in addition to the GP, Ringed Plover, min 4 LRP's, & Common Sand.

John.

Hi Guys,

Thought I would formally say "Hi" on here!

Loving the Tice's thread.

Yes thanks John (for finding it) and Rich ( for the text) for the Grey Plover. I got the Ringed Plover immediately, but took 10 mins or so for the Grey Plover to show. Fantastic bird! I have seen quite a few down at Farlington Marsh, but this one in Surrey @ Tice's seems so much better! Definitely worth upsetting the Mother-In-Law for.

The 9 swifts were great too.

Reckon we might be due a Sanderling next - any other predictions?

Catch you soon.

Kev

Hi Guys,

Thought I would formally say "Hi" on here!

Reckon we might be due a Sanderling next - any other predictions?

Catch you soon.

Kev

Welcome Kev,

Had two Sanderling at Tices last year so maybe, but I think we should set the bar higher. How about Knot or Spotshank? Either of these would be a Tices first!

Cheers,

John.

it does help thanks John, thats what I did think, Dad has a scope somewhere so may have to dig that out although we thought the woody area was just lovely as well, Dad can't believe he has lived in Farnham for 70 years and went to Badshot lea school and never knew that little spot was there, we saw whitethroats and heard loads more, am really looking forward to taking my husband next time. one more question (well for now!!) what is Tongham GP, and if that is a site where is it??

thanks again and maybe we will bump into each other at Tices one day!

Sue

Sue,

we generally meet up en masse early in the mornings during the weekend. If you turn up before 0800hrs there should be at least 4 of us with scopes wandering around. The early bird catches the worm so to speak.

Rich

The Tice's Meadow Species List thus far if anyone is interested. Taken from the Opus section.

Rarities

Eurasian Crag Martin on 22nd October 2006 (accepted by BBRC).
Marsh Sandpiper 1 on 7 April 2010.
Pectoral Sandpiper 1 juv on 26th September 2010 for 10 mins only (subject to Surrey Rarities Committee acceptance).

Check-list

Birds you can see here include:

Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Great Cormorant, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Egyptian Goose, Common Shelduck, Mandarin Duck, Eurasian Wigeon, Gadwall, Common Teal, Mallard, Garganey, Northern Shoveler, Common Pochard, Tufted Duck, Eurasian Buzzard,Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Common Kestrel, Peregrine Falcon, Hobby, Common Pheasant, Water Rail, Common Moorhen, Eurasian Coot, Eurasian Oystercatcher, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Grey Plover, Eurasian Golden Plover, Northern Lapwing, Sanderling, Curlew Sandpiper, Dunlin, Ruff, Jack Snipe, Common Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Eurasian Curlew, Common Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Common Greenshank, Wood Sandpiper, Common Redshank, Ruddy Turnstone, Black-headed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Common Gull, Little Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Common Tern, Stock Dove, Common Woodpigeon, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Common Swift, Common Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Eurasian Skylark, Sand Martin, Barn Swallow, Northern House Martin, Meadow Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Common Wren, Dunnock, Eurasian Robin, Whinchat, European Stonechat, Common Redstart, Northern Wheatear, Eurasian Blackbird, Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Redwing, Mistle Thrush, Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Eurasian Reed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Common Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Spotted Flycatcher, European Pied Flycatcher, Long-tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Eurasian Nuthatch, Eurasian Jay, Eurasian Magpie, Eurasian Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Common Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Brambling, European Greenfinch, European Goldfinch, Eurasian Siskin, Eurasian Linnet, Lesser Redpoll, Mealy Redpoll, Common Bullfinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting

Last edited:
Welcome Kev,

Had two Sanderling at Tices last year so maybe, but I think we should set the bar higher. How about Knot or Spotshank? Either of these would be a Tices first!

Cheers,

John.

Thanks John.

They would be great, but if it's higher you are after what about a Black-winged stilt? ;)

I see there was an Osprey seen at Frensham tonight - nice if that showed at up too.

Thanks John.

They would be great, but if it's higher you are after what about a Black-winged stilt? ;)

I see there was an Osprey seen at Frensham tonight - nice if that showed at up too.

Black-winged Stilt, two a penny..............................................................in the Camargue!

Hi guys,

Looks like I need to get myself off to the Carmargue as Black-winged Stilt is my favourite wader! Make sure you send me a text Rich if one turns up at Tices ;)

I need to replace my current cheapie scope (think it only cost me about £80), although it has still been very good to me, it is time to upgrade a bit. I can't really justify spending > £1000 on a Swarovski (to the Boss i.e. the Wife!), so can anyone recommend a mid price range version?

Thanks
Kev

Hi guys,

Looks like I need to get myself off to the Carmargue as Black-winged Stilt is my favourite wader! Make sure you send me a text Rich if one turns up at Tices ;)

I need to replace my current cheapie scope (think it only cost me about £80), although it has still been very good to me, it is time to upgrade a bit. I can't really justify spending > £1000 on a Swarovski (to the Boss i.e. the Wife!), so can anyone recommend a mid price range version?

Thanks
Kev

Kev,

have a look at the Opticron Range. Mights be worth nipping up to Barnes and speaking to the blokes at In Focus. They have a large selection of Opticron Scopes, some occasionally second hand, and they will give cracking advice. Black-winged Stilt my favourite wader - never bored of seeing them. Used to get them every year on my British List until Sammy the Stilt at Tichfield popped his clogs.

Rich

Last edited:
A quiet afternoon at Tice's. One breeding plumaged Dunlin present along with 4 Lapwing, a couple of LRPs and at least 15 Common Tern. Let's hope tomorrow brings something special.

Rich

Sue,

we generally meet up en masse early in the mornings during the weekend. If you turn up before 0800hrs there should be at least 4 of us with scopes wandering around. The early bird catches the worm so to speak.

Rich

Hi Rich, thats great, we often go out early as its before all the people turn up, its much better then, or sometimes we go out after work, am going to pop over tonight to introduce my Husband to Tices

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back