• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Movement of Red Kites in Sussex May 2017 (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Has anyone access to reports of Red Kites from Sussex in late May? Exceptional numbers were reported from Kent on 25th and I assume they came along the chalk ridge into Kent via Sussex but numbers would help!

Has anyone access to reports of Red Kites from Sussex in late May? Exceptional numbers were reported from Kent on 25th and I assume they came along the chalk ridge into Kent via Sussex but numbers would help!

Shame you haven't had any replies to your post, John. I don't normally stop by this particular sub-forum but the words 'Red Kite' caught my attention. Love those birds. I've e-mailed a good friend from Beachy Head and see if he can answer your question. There was some discussion back in early summer about the recent massive increase of records of the species in Cornwall in late May and there was conjecture whether they were Continental birds or not. I believe it's widely accepted common knowledge in the south-west that these are British (probably Welsh?) birds moving down and back up. I think someone from the south-west stepped in on the discussion and alluded to this fact before I had the chance to do so?

I believe it's widely accepted common knowledge in the south-west that these are British (probably Welsh?) birds moving down and back up. I think someone from the south-west stepped in on the discussion and alluded to this fact before I had the chance to do so?

Think that may have been yours truly? Apologies ;)

(Although perhaps more likely to be wandering birds from the introduced population (Scotland/England) than what was the more sedentary Wesh pop... ??)

Have just seen a red kite think it's female flying from wooded area behind temple grove care home across the road to woods other side it was about 6.15am today

Hi Jim and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. How exciting for you. It's great to know that they are spreading around the county. My sister used to live in Kent and other family in Sussex and it was never a species I had on my wanted list when I visited them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back