• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are you seeing Bullfinches in your garden? (BTO) (1 Viewer)

BF Newsroom

Latest update from the BTO: Are you seeing Bullfinches in your garden?

bullfinchedwynanderton.jpg

Records from approximately 11,000 BTO Garden BirdWatchers indicate that Bullfinches are being seen in more gardens than ever this year! Bullfinches were seen by 19% of Garden BirdWatchers in April 2018, which is almost double the average (1995-2017) for this month. These figures follow on from a record high last...

Read More...

Latest update from the BTO: Are you seeing Bullfinches in your garden?

bullfinchedwynanderton.jpg

Records from approximately 11,000 BTO Garden BirdWatchers indicate that Bullfinches are being seen in more gardens than ever this year! Bullfinches were seen by 19% of Garden BirdWatchers in April 2018, which is almost double the average (1995-2017) for this month. These figures follow on from a record high last...

Read More...

Amazingly, at my Nottingham home recently, I recorded Bullfinch for just the second time in 19 years!

They're not a rare bird locally and you haven't got to go far to see one but they wouldn't be considered a garden bird in my area.

A

I have seen a male irregularly over six months in Lymm, 4 or 5 times is all. only once at feeder but in nearby overhanging trees and on fence.

Every so often in our garden near Sheffield. Usually a pic but we've had up to three pairs at one time. Garden backs onto an oak wood which probably helps.

Every so often in our garden near Sheffield. Usually a pic but we've had up to three pairs at one time. Garden backs onto an oak wood which probably helps.

I think they are asking those who don't usually see Bullfinches rather than those that do?

I can walk to a woodland just a mile away from my Nottingham home and they're fairly common but not away from that park so I wonder, as do the BTO, why they're turning up now in gardens where they haven't been before?

A

Last edited:
I've had a c500% increase over last years single visit so far this year.....whether it's just a blip...time will tell.

Indeed I've seen more Bullfinch/Hawfinch Jan-March locally, than I've seen Greenfinch!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back