• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roundhay Park Bird News (1 Viewer)

About 200 pink-footed geese flew over Roundhay this morning about 10am. Looks like they may have come from Eccup. Whooper swan still there feeding on bread with the mutes.

I had a 2nd hand report of someone seeing a Hawfinchnon one of the golf courses on Roundhay park sometime in the last couple
Of weeks

This afternoon, the whooper swan (presumably the bird from the Spring was with the main mute swan herd). Seems like some wintering stuff has moved in.

Upper Lake: pair Gadwall, 1 female Goosander (first of the winter for me), 19 Mallard, 1 Tufted Duck, 6 Moorhen, 1 Coot, 2 Mute Swan, 86 Black-headed Gull.

Waterloo Lake: 46 Mute Swan (plus the Whooper), 400+ Black-headed Gull, 4 Herring Gull, 2 Cormorant, 62 Mallard, 37 Canada Goose, 16 Tufted Duck, 3 Little Grebe, 9 Moorhen.

There is currently a vacancy for someone to carry out the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) in Roundhay Park, covering both lakes. It is carried out once a month on a Sunday (dates on the BTO WeBS webpage) and will probably take one to two hours to cover both lakes. If anyone is interested or wants more information please PM me.

Upper Lake: 11 gadwall
Waterloo Lake: 12 goosander (10 male; 2 female), 5 little grebe, 51 mute swan, 1 whooper swan (bird fro May).
Also red kite and buzzard.

Yesterday evening there was an impressive movement of B H Gulls moving NW across the park - a continual steady stream for 40 mins which must have involved thousands of birds.

The gulls are moving from East Leeds across to Eccup Reservoir in North Leeds - they stream over my house which is sort of midway between. I was down there last Wednesday and whilst there was c100 bhg around there were many more over flying. The WEBS count earlier this month gave a total of just over 200 birds actually on the water in the Park.
Also seen on the WEBS count was a kingfisher on Upper Lake - it seems to like the island there. So worth hanging about there during quiet times.

Webs count today - in a nithering wind
1 Whooper swan
43 Mute swan
9 Canada geese
1 Greylag goose - probably domesticated
33 Mallard
43 Tufted duck
1 Great crested grebe
2 Moorhen
6 Coot
c750 Black-headed gull
c50 Common gull
3 Herring gull

no cormorant or little grebe today.

Webs count today - in a nithering wind
1 Whooper swan
43 Mute swan
9 Canada geese
1 Greylag goose - probably domesticated
33 Mallard
43 Tufted duck
1 Great crested grebe
2 Moorhen
6 Coot
c750 Black-headed gull
c50 Common gull
3 Herring gull

no cormorant or little grebe today.

Well done on your perseverance Keith. It has been very cold and the wind really does go right through you at Roundhay.

Webs Count from Sunday - very pleasant morning until the dragon racing boats turned up

Mute Swan - 43
No sign of the whooper swan

Canada goose - 14

Greylag goose - 1
Mallard - 29
Tufted duck - 4
Cormorant - 1
Black-headed gull 31
Common gull - 2
Kingfisher - 1

Quite different from your last count, isn't it Keith.

Nice one with the Kingfisher.... would make my day LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back