• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sulawesi Streaked Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Undescribed: Muscicapoidea: Some hidden taxa:...
The “Lore Lindu Flycatcher” Muscicapa sp in Indonesia: Sulawesi: Lore Lindu National Park (Ben King & al. in 1997)
Princeton University, 24 Nov 2014: New Bird Species Confirmed 15 Years After First Observation.

Harris, Rasmussen, Yong, Prawiradilaga, Putra, Round & Rheindt 2014. A new species of Muscicapa flycatcher from Sulawesi, Indonesia. PLoS ONE 9(11): e112657. [article] [pdf]
  • Muscicapa sodhii, sp. nov.
IOC World Bird List...
www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/update-diary/
www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/proposed-splits/
2014 Nov 24: Post newly described Sulawesi Streaked Flycatcher on Updates/PS

Last edited:
Richard

Thanks for posting. I wonder how many birders have seen this bird already? Quite a few I think.

I didn't know ,much about the first named author although I did find this which I consider disappointing:

Abstract The Esmeraldas Woodstar (Chaetocercus berlepschi) is a poorly known and
endangered hummingbird endemic to lowland and foothill moist forest in coastal western
Ecuador. We encountered 11 new localities, observed two copulations, and found 26 nests
of the species from October 2007 to April 2008. We observed the generally accepted
descriptions of the female must have come from mis-labeled specimens of juvenile males
and were incorrect. We collected the first three confirmed females of the species and ..

J Berton C Harris, Ana E Ágreda, Mery E Juiña, Bernd P Freymann
Publication date
2009/6
Journal The Wilson Journal of Ornithology

Others will of course consider this to be valuable and necessary research, though I am not among them.

cheers, alan

Richard

Thanks for posting. I wonder how many birders have seen this bird already? Quite a few I think.

cheers, alan

:eek!: I noted a couple of Grey-streaked Flys at Tankoko, but hopefully I didn't totally goof up bigstyle there! from the linked pic of the new species it looks like the streaks don't extend as far down the flanks, so presumably SSF would look way different in the field??

:eek!: I noted a couple of Grey-streaked Flys at Tankoko, but hopefully I didn't totally goof up bigstyle there! from the linked pic of the new species it looks like the streaks don't extend as far down the flanks, so presumably SSF would look way different in the field??

Larry

I've never seen it but I think there are a fair few photos online - I'm not sure how you find them though! Sulawesi Muscicapa? It seems to be quite a scarce bird, though perhaps just a bit elusive in the canopy like some of the others eg Sumba Brown and Ashy-breasted in Luzon?

cheers, alan

The pics of Grey-streaked and Dark-sided are very misleading...

Richard

I didn't know ,much about the first named author although I did find this which I consider disappointing:

Abstract The Esmeraldas Woodstar (Chaetocercus berlepschi) is a poorly known and
endangered hummingbird endemic to lowland and foothill moist forest in coastal western
Ecuador. We encountered 11 new localities, observed two copulations, and found 26 nests
of the species from October 2007 to April 2008. We observed the generally accepted
descriptions of the female must have come from mis-labeled specimens of juvenile males
and were incorrect. We collected the first three confirmed females of the species and ..

J Berton C Harris, Ana E Ágreda, Mery E Juiña, Bernd P Freymann
Publication date
2009/6
Journal The Wilson Journal of Ornithology

Others will of course consider this to be valuable and necessary research, though I am not among them.

cheers, alan

I know the first author personally, and I can assure you that he only collected the specimens after verifying that it would not harm the conservation of the species. There are few more dedicated to bird conservation than Bert is. I agree with you that there are many cases where specimens should not be taken, but this was not one of them.

I asked Bert about this, and he told me:
"By describing the female (which is impossible without a specimen) we are finally able to be sure of the identification and clear up the confusion with Little Woodstar that had plagued the Esmeraldas Woodstar for its entire existence. Based on our research, which depended on the collection, the Jocotoco Foundation bought a reserve to protect the nesting hotspot for the species. So I am 100% sure we helped the conservation of the species by sacrificing three females."

Larry

I've never seen it but I think there are a fair few photos online - I'm not sure how you find them though! Sulawesi Muscicapa? It seems to be quite a scarce bird, though perhaps just a bit elusive in the canopy like some of the others eg Sumba Brown and Ashy-breasted in Luzon?

cheers, alan

eg:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/sulawesi-flycatcher-muscicapa-sp-nova/undescribed-muscicapa-sp-known-sualwesi-flycatcher-adult

Although the southern birds look quite a bit darker brown than the Palu birds - perhaps another taxon?

cheers, alan

Thanks for the link Alan, the linked pic in the earlier post doesn't clearly show the (unstreaked) flanks. I feel a bit more confident now that the birds I saw at Tankoko must have just been Grey-streaked Flys, or I think I'd have been confused by them at the time.

I know the first author personally, and I can assure you that he only collected the specimens after verifying that it would not harm the conservation of the species. There are few more dedicated to bird conservation than Bert is. I agree with you that there are many cases where specimens should not be taken, but this was not one of them.

I asked Bert about this, and he told me:
"By describing the female (which is impossible without a specimen) we are finally able to be sure of the identification and clear up the confusion with Little Woodstar that had plagued the Esmeraldas Woodstar for its entire existence. Based on our research, which depended on the collection, the Jocotoco Foundation bought a reserve to protect the nesting hotspot for the species. So I am 100% sure we helped the conservation of the species by sacrificing three females."

Ben,

Thanks but we can agree to disagree. I've personally learnt a lot more from studying good photographs of these two rare woodstars. I personally have lot's of photos of female Little Woodstar from Northern Peru, though none from the SE Ecuador population. I've not seen Esmeraldas Woodstar but there are a good number of photographs online and in print (see recent Neotropical Birding article).

Anyway back to the Muscicapa. I'm surprised that specimens of the southern population were not collected. The drier forests of Southern Sulawesi often supports different subspecies to the centre/north.

cheers, alan

Attached a picture of Muscicapa sodhii, taken in October at Karenta Forest in southern Sulawesi (near Makassar). A nice armchair tick. We didn't see the species at Lore Lindu or at Tangkoko.

André

Attachments

• sulawesistreakedflycatcher.jpg
    sulawesistreakedflycatcher.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 124
Attached a picture of Muscicapa sodhii, taken in October at Karenta Forest in southern Sulawesi (near Makassar). A nice armchair tick. We didn't see the species at Lore Lindu or at Tangkoko.

André

Good stuff Andre - another photo showing a bird from the south with darker brown uppers that the Palu bird. I appreciate that to some extent the "pale-mid grey" shown in the Palu photos will be flash artefact but think the grey / brown difference may be real.

cheers, alan

Princeton University, 24 Nov 2014: New Bird Species Confirmed 15 Years After First Observation.

Harris, Rasmussen, Yong, Prawiradilaga, Putra, Round & Rheindt 2014. A new species of Muscicapa flycatcher from Sulawesi, Indonesia. PLoS ONE 9(11): e112657. [article] [pdf]
  • Muscicapa sodhii, sp. nov.
IOC World Bird List...
www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/update-diary/
www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/proposed-splits/

IOC Update Diary:
Dec 19 Accept Sulawesi Streaked Flycatcher

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back