• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

Little correction about yearlist.

154 Dotterel
155 Great Skua
156 Osprey, Clonfert, 25th April, Neal Warnock.
157 Whinchat, Clonfert, 25th April, Neal Warnock.

Dermot

I've watched a couple of small groups of cormorants today flying down along the Corrib River to the sea. Are these family groups that have already left the nest? Do they nest this early?

Aoife

Aoife I think a little early although most of the Grey Herons are on the verge of fledging if not already fledged. Juvenial Coromrants will have a lot of white to breast.

BirdWatch Galway;- Saturday 1st May, short outing at Nimmo’s Pier with Tim Griffin et al., 10.30am.
This is also part of the Galways-Marine-Month-of-Madness http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galways-Marine-Month-of-Madness/107462942623495

Check out BirdWatch Irelands Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/BirdWatchIreland
Irish Wildlife Trust have a Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Wildlife-Trust/278016275103

Last edited:
I thought it might be too early for fledging cormorants alright. I didn't see any extensive white on the birds, though from the angle I saw them at they were pretty much silhouetted.

Had 2 White-tailed Sea Eagles from the Kerry reintroduction project yesterday at a remote location in Connemara. Amazing to think these birds were common breeders in Connemara in the distant past. Also of interest was a pair of Whooper Swans on a remote lake. Anyone seen any skuas yet?

County list 2010

161 Swift 29th April at Anglinham
162 Garganey 2 May at Rahasane Dermot Breen

Few pics from yesterday at the pier.

Attachments

• DSCN4112 010510.jpg
    DSCN4112 010510.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN4119 010510.jpg
    DSCN4119 010510.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN4120 010510.jpg
    DSCN4120 010510.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN4123 010510.jpg
    DSCN4123 010510.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 90
A couple of shots of the male Garganey at Rahasane thats the 3rd tick this year . Chiffchaff at Rahasane, Ringed Plover and Whimbrel at Mutton Island Causeway.

Attachments

• 20100503104931(2).jpg
    20100503104931(2).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20100503104931(3).jpg
    20100503104931(3).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN4127 030510.jpg
    DSCN4127 030510.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC1063 030510.jpg
    DSC1063 030510.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN4109 010510.jpg
    DSCN4109 010510.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 59
Was out walking myself into the ground this morning looking for Merlin when I came across the leg of a hare on top of a hummock on the bog. It was fairly fresh, probably this mornings kill. It was in the townland of Letterfir grid ref. M 085 286 about 8km NW of Spiddal - about 4km from the Snowy Owl was last seen back on the 15th March. If anyone has the time and energy it might be worth their while to have a look.

Muckrush

Visited Muckrush with Paul Hillis on Thursday as part of his annual spring/summer search for rare breeding waterbirds. Found quite a remarkable number of 'late staying' and other birds:
Wigeon 10
Gadwall 7
Tufted 20+
Lapwing 1 (at least)
Whooper Swan 1
Shovler 4
Teal 2
Pochard 3
Bar-tailed Godwit 60 (in summer plumage)
Redshank 40
Swift 2
Mute Swan 60 (circa)

Some of these such as Lapwing, Redshank and even some of the ducks would be very possible for breeding. Well worth a visit later on.

If anyone has knowledge of scarce breeding success over the coming weeks/months you might let me know and I will pass on to Paul

Ne

Early Migrants

163 House Martin, Clifden, 3rd May.

Hi Dermot, Pete Capsey had House Martin in Loughrea on the 21st April.

Anyone wanting to see the earliest migrant dates reported so far can go to the migrants page on the BirdWatch Galway web site.

There is a record out there (Irishbirding) of a Cuckoo on the 7th of March. This would be really early, but not entirely unprecented looking at other Irish and British records from the past. I was thinking that Gordon D'Arcy's 9th of April was early enough. Over the last seven years (back to 2003) the first Cuckoo has been reported on the 13th, 14th (three times), 15th, 16th and 18th of April.

If anyone has any earlier dates than are on the web site, please send them. Whitethroat yet anyone? They're normally here before Dawn Chorus day.

Cheers,

Chris Peppiatt

Got Black Red?

The Salthill Black Redstart made into January, have you counted that yet?

Chris

Btw. this is what I have on the list.

Red-throated Diver
Black-throated Diver
Pacific Diver
Great Northern Diver
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Fulmar
Manx Shearwater
Gannet
Cormorant
Shag
Little Egret
Grey Heron
White Stork
Mute Swan
Whooper Swan
White-fronted Goose
Greylag Goose
Barnacle Goose
Brent Goose
Shelduck
Wigeon
Gadwall
Teal
Mallard
Pintail
Shoveler
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Scaup
Long-tailed Duck
Common Scoter
Goldeneye
Red-breasted Merganser
Red Kite
White-tailed Eagle
Marsh Harrier
Hen Harrier
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Merlin
Peregrine
Red Grouse
Pheasant
Water Rail
Moorhen
Coot
Oystercatcher
Ringed Plover
Golden Plover
Grey Plover
Lapwing
Knot
Sanderling
Purple Sandpiper
Dunlin
Ruff
Jack Snipe
Snipe
Woodcock
Black-tailed Godwit
Bar-tailed Godwit
Whimbrel
Curlew
Spotted Redshank
Redshank
Greenshank
Common Sandpiper
Turnstone
Mediterranean Gull
Black-headed Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
American Herring Gull
Iceland Gull
Thayers Gull
Glaucous Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Kittiwake
Sandwich Tern
Forster's Tern
Guillemot
Razorbill
Black Guillemot
Rock Dove
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Snowy Owl
Long-eared Owl
Kingfisher
Skylark
Sand Martin
Meadow Pipit
Rock Pipit
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtail
Waxwing
Dipper
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Stonechat
Wheatear
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Song Thrush
Redwing
Mistle Thrush
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Goldcrest
Long-tailed Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Treecreeper
Jay
Magpie
Chough
Jackdaw
Rook
Hooded Crow
Raven
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Brambling
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Siskin
Linnet
Twite
Redpoll
Crossbill
Bullfinch
Yellowhammer
Reed Bunting

Golden Oriole found on 25.5.2010 by Anthony McGeehan. Photographed by me.

Attachments

• Golden Oriole-6.jpg
    Golden Oriole-6.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Golden Oriole-4.jpg
    Golden Oriole-4.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 88
Pair of Ruff at Muckrush yesterday. Male was in moult but still sporting some nice white neck ruffs. 20+ Dunlin and 30+ Black-tailed Godwits also there. Nice bit of mud present. Definitely a spot for autumn waders if the water levels allow.

Find it hard to believe that I have not post in over month. Very busy working and not getting out with the camera as often as I would like.

County list

166 Golden Oriole Inisbofin 25.5.2010 by Anthony McGeehan.

No photos of birds this time but a few Damselflies can anyone help with the IDs in particular the Orange Damselfly.

Attachments

• DSC1217 050610.jpg
    DSC1217 050610.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01234 050610.jpg
    DSC01234 050610.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC01238 050610.jpg
    DSC01238 050610.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01247 050610.jpg
    DSC01247 050610.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 53
Damselflies

Hi Tom,

I'll have a go at the damselflies. The one on the left looks pretty good for Blue-tailed damselfly. Going right: next one looks like a female Common Blue Damselfly, next like a Common Blue Damselfly, the one on the right (and these are difficult, what with age-related colour changes) looks like an immature female Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly of the aurantiaca phase. This last is not wildly rare, but is, well, scarce in places. Where did you take the photos?

Chris

No photos of birds this time but a few Damselflies can anyone help with the IDs in particular the Orange Damselfly.[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back