• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Lake Hawassa Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

volker sthamer

Would be great if someone could help me with the ID of this one. Could it be a Marsh Warbler?

Photo taken on Jan. 24, 2018. What makes me doubt that it is a Marsh Warbler is the size, quite big one.

Thanks
Volker

Attachments

• DSC_4779.jpg
    DSC_4779.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 103
Primary projection for Marsh Warbler is far too short, leg colour is too dark, also the emarginations fall well within the tertial area....I'm thinking BRW, unless theirs an endemic acro to the region?

Cheers

This is not a reed warbler of any kind - just look at the ridiculously long outermost primary for a start.
Note also the long, strong bill with largely dark lower mandible, grey face hardly showing any supercilium, strong dark grey legs, long tail, dull grey-brown wash allover underparts, very short primary projection, rufous wing panel, and even the habitat (Juncus or Cyperus).
It is a Lesser Swamp Warbler (of the dark subspecies parva).

I agree with Smiths here, looks good for the species but isn't Lesser Swamp Warbler also a kind of Reed Warbler -- Acrocephalus?

Hi all,
indeed, agree with Smiths and Werzik, on LSW id. but perhaps some confusion with the name little rush warbler, a bradypterus?

This is not a reed warbler of any kind - just look at the ridiculously long outermost primary for a start.
Note also the long, strong bill with largely dark lower mandible, grey face hardly showing any supercilium, strong dark grey legs, long tail, dull grey-brown wash allover underparts, very short primary projection, rufous wing panel, and even the habitat (Juncus or Cyperus).
It is a Lesser Swamp Warbler (of the dark subspecies parva).

According to text.....it's an Acrocephalus.....Cape Reed Warbler/Lesser Swamp Warbler whichever name you prefer to use, and I suspect an Acro with possibly the shortest of UTC's, that to one side images show the said species with super either fore, or aft or none! Highly variable just like most of the unstreaked taxa brigade, regarding the strong bill....if you look closely you will note that the bill is open, thus "deepening" it by c30%, and regarding it's choice of perch...it's been my experience that unstreaked "Acros" particularly when on migration will perch on most shrubs...if convenient.

I agree with your ID.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back