• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Hawfinch occurence last weekend....? (1 Viewer)

Perhaps a difficult question to answer as it's of an "irruption" nature. Recently I've observed a soliciting female Hawfinch being fed by a male with the resulting courtship chases ensuing, is it likely that this behaviour would only be observed within an intended breeding area?

Cheers

This is an interesting question but not easy to answer. I don't know about Hawfinches but as I understand some species of finches are starting to pair-bond already in winter away from breeding grounds or even stay together as a pair. Some interesting facts about Bullfinches: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-bullfinches-years.html. So, I think your observation does not neccessarily mean the Hawfinches intend to breed there...

Though I suspect most of these Hawfinches will depart fairly soon I wouldn't be surprised if a small number remain to breed in suitable habitat. Certainly hope so. Still a good number near me at Ruislip Woods where they used to breed a few decades back (before my time here). Time will tell!

This is an interesting question but not easy to answer. I don't know about Hawfinches but as I understand some species of finches are starting to pair-bond already in winter away from breeding grounds or even stay together as a pair. Some interesting facts about Bullfinches: https://phys.org/news/2018-01-bullfinches-years.html. So, I think your observation does not neccessarily mean the Hawfinches intend to breed there...

Yes an interesting link Roland, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same paring fidelity also extends to Hawfinch. I would hope that "some" will remain to breed in optimum areas, all fascinating stuff from a UK perspective, and one that I'm sure will be followed up by all Hawfinch afficiendos over the next few months....fingers x'd.

PS...I've just noticed on the "garden bird feeding forum", that there is an image of a Hawfinch with a "yellow ring" taken in Wales, would anybody know where that bird might have originated from?, as I suspect returns from this species are few and far between....exciting stuff!

Last edited:
Today reported from Bramblehall Wood and Juniper Bottom (London/Surrey) 600!! and 120!! respectively....I'd have thought that mainland Europe would have struggled to make these nos.....?

Today reported from Bramblehall Wood and Juniper Bottom (London/Surrey) 600!! and 120!! respectively....I'd have thought that mainland Europe would have struggled to make these nos.....?

Almost a plague of Hawfinches! Must be a wonderful spectacle to see so many in one place + I suspect these numbers may be unprecedented in the UK?

Yes an interesting link Roland, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same paring fidelity also extends to Hawfinch. I would hope that "some" will remain to breed in optimum areas, all fascinating stuff from a UK perspective, and one that I'm sure will be followed up by all Hawfinch afficiendos over the next few months....fingers x'd.

PS...I've just noticed on the "garden bird feeding forum", that there is an image of a Hawfinch with a "yellow ring" taken in Wales, would anybody know where that bird might have originated from?, as I suspect returns from this species are few and far between....exciting stuff!

I think i read somewhere the bird was rung in the Forest of Dean.

Cheers Israel, I subsequently (if read correctly) that the bird was imaged in West Wales, and that it was only the 2nd recovery from the Forest of Dean!

It would be truly amazing if some (any) of these Surrey birds could be controlled to find a point of origin, I believe isotope analysis could provide some meaningful information....if a sample of birds could be rung....that would truly be a result.

Cheers

Cheers Israel, I subsequently (if read correctly) that the bird was imaged in West Wales, and that it was only the 2nd recovery from the Forest of Dean!

It would be truly amazing if some (any) of these Surrey birds could be controlled to find a point of origin, I believe isotope analysis could provide some meaningful information....if a sample of birds could be rung....that would truly be a result.

Cheers

Gentlemen where are you reading that?

Cog, that is a colour ringed bird. Roughly (if you don't want everyone to know exactly) where are you?

Its from one of two projects:

http://www.cr-birding.org/cs/node/130

Or

http://www.cr-birding.org/node/879

Its was C/R as part of the top project according to CR-Birding. Very small possiblity that it could have originally been rinded in the Dean. But last time i spoke to the ringer in charge of the Dean Hawfinch C/R about this bird he hadnt heard that it was.

Last edited:
Gentlemen where are you reading that?

Its was C/R as part of the top project according to CR-Birding. Very small possiblity that it could have originally been rinded in the Dean. But last time i spoke to the ringer in charge of the Dean Hawfinch C/R about this bird he hadnt heard that it was.

If you google Hawfinch with yellow rings, you should find several schemes, the New Forest Roost scheme seems very interesting.

Cheers

The yellow ringed hawfinch may be from the new forest,any photos would be appreciated as I know the ringer responsible.

Cheers.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back