• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tipperary/Offaly Birding (1 Viewer)

This morning at Reddan's Lough Pat Brennan found a drake Garganey and a drake Ring-necked Duck.
Garganey has been recorded at 3 sites in North Tipp this spring already.

There is a picture of the 2 birds at Cabragh Wetlands on the BWI Tipperary website.

The Ring-neck could be the same bird as seen earlier at Lough Eorna/Ourna. Reddan's is not marked on the OS Discovery series map by the way but it is about two miles NW of Borrisokane. G.R. 900,963 on OS map 53. Tiny Lough but its produced some good birds over the years.

At Ashton's Callow this morning 3 Dunlin and 2 Whimbrel were the best so it is still attracting passage waders.

This afternoon at Lough Boora Parklands, Offaly Pat Brennan saw 1 Wheatear and 46 Whimbrel . Also I forgot to mention that Pat and myself saw a Wheatear at Firville Lake, North Tipp on April 17th. That one was my first of this year although its not particularly early. Wheatear are generally first reported on later dates than in the west and south-east of the country.

Things have quietened down greatly in Tipp this past week.

At Firville Lake on Friday, a Cuckoo and 15 Godwits were the most notable.
Ashton's Callow was quiet with only 9 late Godwits and a late drake Wigeon present

At Lough Eorna some migrants showed up, Common Sandpiper and Common Tern. The Tern was surprising given that the Lough Derg Tern colony was still empty on Friday and Sunday evenings. The drake Ruddy Duck and 1 Raven were still there on Friday and today as well. 2 Greylag geese and 8 Pochard also there. Joined by 25 Whimbrel today.

On Saturday myself and another observer saw a male Hen Harrier skydancing in the Silvermines/Slieve Felim range. The bird flew straight up and down 4 times before a Peregrine came in and forced it out of the air. I earlier saw a male hunting, probably the same bird. This is the same area where I saw a male and female Harrier associating together 6 weeks ago. Hopefully this is a breeding pair. Also present were 2 Wheatear and a Cuckoo

On Sunday at Ashton's a Cuckoo, 3 Curlew and 3 Whimbrel were in the area. Also 2 Shelduck were a nice sight as they are rarely recorded in Tipp or Offaly. These birds (a male and female) were possibly a pair. Where they are going to is anybody's guess.

I had a fairly busy weekend this time around.

Lough Eorna quiet on Friday evening but I only had time for a quick look.

On Saturday at Ashton's Callow, Pat Brennan and myself saw 4 late Wigeon, 2 males and 2 females. Also there 2 Whimbrel, and a Cuckoo in the direction of Inch callow.

After that we had a look over Drinagh wetlands. This is part of the Lough Boora complex in Offaly. Some nice summer plumaged waders were present which are scarce for the area. 2 Turnstone, 25 Dunlin, 6 Ringed Plover and 2 male Ruff. One of the Ruff was the dark version and one was the white headed kind. May records of Ruff and Turnstone are unusual in the midlands. Good selection of waders on Saturday. Also a Cuckoo, Whitethroat, and Lapwing .

On Sunday morning, I went to Turraun in the Lough Boora Parklands. This sometimes attracts passage waders in spring and autumn so its worth a look. When I arrived I spotted a Hobby hawking insects above the lough here. Super bird. Was nice to see it gliding around occasionally dropping it's feet to snatch insects from the air. Looked a bit like a plane dropping its landing gear. It stayed for about 15 minutes and flew off to the west. I waited around until six in the hope it would return but no sign of it afterward or today. Boora is a huge area with very few observers so it may just have relocated. It was definitely my bird of the weekend.

On a related topic BINS reported a Hobby at Lough Derg yesterday too. All part of a recent influx with at least seven reports since last Wednesday or so.

Also at Turraun on Sunday I saw one Water Rail a pair of Greylags with 5 goslings, 10 Whimbrel and 2 Cuckoos calling at the same time at different ends of the lough.

Brilliant find Tom. I can say I'm just a little jealous to say the least since its my old stomping ground. Habitat perfect for them down there.
Things starting to quieten down a little up here in Donegal but still a good selection of ducks between Inch and Blanket Nook - Black Duck, Garganey, Velvet Scoter, Gadwall, Pintail, Shoveler (last two scarce up here at the best of times). Starting to turn my attention onto butterflies, moths, dragonflies and orchids to keep me sane during the summer months!

Dermot

Brilliant find Tom. I can say I'm just a little jealous to say the least since its my old stomping ground. Habitat perfect for them down there.
Things starting to quieten down a little up here in Donegal but still a good selection of ducks between Inch and Blanket Nook - Black Duck, Garganey, Velvet Scoter, Gadwall, Pintail, Shoveler (last two scarce up here at the best of times). Starting to turn my attention onto butterflies, moths, dragonflies and orchids to keep me sane during the summer months!

Dermot

Thanks Dermot. Delighted by it. Hopefully it will be seen again.

Your own finds this spring in Donegal are not too shabby at all.

I don't visit Boora all that often. It is just a bit far away to get to every week. Also I never expect too much from it. It has the sightings list to justify more regular coverage though and it always delivers something even if it is just the regular breeders. Then there are the scarce and rare birds it has produced, Red-necked Phal, Temmincks Stint, Marsh Harrier etc. Great place

Last Thursday Pat Brennan found two drake Long-tailed Ducks at Drinagh wetland in the Lough Boora Parklands. I went to see them that evening. What an odd sight. Inland. In mid May. On a flooded bog cutting. Also one remaining Turnstone , six Ringed Plover, a Whimbrel and the regulars. Some good numbers of Great Crested Grebe use Drinagh. I counted nine on Thursday evening though this is probably not the maximum count here over the last while.

Not a lot else of note at Boora although it is always nice to hear the strange singing of the Partridge Several Cuckoos in the area as usual too.

Dermot. Do you know if anybody has done a survey of the parklands since you did your one? It would be great if one was done and included in the Bird Atlas.

Lough Eorna and Goat Island in Tipp quiet this weekend. Pair of Ruddy Duck and a surprising 67 Tufted Duck at Eorna on what is quite a small lake.

On Saturday morning I did one of my Atlas tetrads in Tipp. The highlight was a pair of Peregrine at a regular nest site. They weren't new birds to me in the area but its god to have them confirmed on a timed visit. A really great excuse to visit areas I don't get to very often. Roll on next weekend so I can get to my other tetrad.

Did my second Atlas tetrad yesterday morning in Tipp.
The highlights were a male Hen Harrier, 3 Curlew, and 6 Raven
Also in the tetrad I counted 90+ Meadow Pipits, 10 Willow Warblers, 2 pairs of Grey Wagtail, Siskins, and 9 Stonechat. Nice morning out.

Yesterday afternoon on the Ballyfinboy River near Borrisokane I walked a stretch of about a mile. It produced 3 Kingfishers together (probably a family party), 15 House Martins, 8 Willow Warblers, a Blackcap, a Grey Wagtail and best of all 2 Spotted Flycatchers, flycatching. Well what else would they be doing ;)

This stretch of river also held Dippers up to two years ago but their nest seems to have been disturbed and they haven't returned. Dippers are actually fairly common on rivers in the lowlands in Tipp and Offaly.

Tom
Well done good haul of birds. Always good to see Kingfishers at anytime but to have 3 together was great. Have yet to see a Spotted Flycatcher in my neck of the woods. Must make an effort to hook up with you when your in Galway.

Where exactly is Lough Ourna????

Trying to figure out the best way of getting there by bus/train from Dublin.

Black-winged Stilt would be a nice tick. Yes please!!!!

Any directions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Niall

Where exactly is Lough Ourna????

Trying to figure out the best way of getting there by bus/train from Dublin.

Black-winged Stilt would be a nice tick. Yes please!!!!

Any directions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Niall

Hi Niall,
I'm sorry but I've only just seen your post
I was busy trying to see the Black-winged Stilt myself. Unfortunately after a bit of a bus and car trek from Galway I didn't see it in the end. It wasn't seen after lunch. Several people looked for the Stilt during the day but it was't refound. Roughly six or seven people either saw it or looked for it. It might just have been the biggest twitch ever in Tipp ;) It could well be still there although all accessible areas were searched.
Black-winged Stilt occurred at least once before in Tipp at the Thurles sugar factory lagoons in the 80s.

Compensation today came in the form of a stunning summer plumage Black-necked Grebe discovered yesterday morning by Frank O'Duffy. Some info on www.irishbirding.com. Got some great close views of it. Also two Ruddy Duck .

For future reference Lough Ourna/Eorna is about 5 miles north of Nenagh on the Borrisokane road. Its on the left hand side coming from Nenagh. It can be viewed from a side road off the main road. This side road leads to a B and B.
On Discovery OS Map 59, the Grid Reference for the junction of the small side road and the main road (N52) is 884, 856. This is a private road but the landowners don't mind people looking over the lough from the road. For anybody driving please park considerately as the road is in constant use by farmers and B and B customers.

Getting there by bus is a little tricky. There are buses every hour to Nenagh. Its the Limerick bus. Buses from Nenagh to Borrisokane are a bit infrequent. Every three hours or so if memory serves. Its not far by taxi from Nenagh though and one lad did this today.

Hopefully it'll show up again.
Hope this is some help
Tom

Last edited:
Frank O'Duffy found the Stilt too this morning. A couple of good mornings for him.

I also had a quick look over Ardcroney Lake and Reddan's Lough for the Stilt today too in case it relocated but no luck. Two pairs of Lapwing at Ardcroney and a couple of singing male Yellowhammers at Reddans were about the best

Hi Tom,

Cheers for all the info anyways, much appreciated.

I didn't go down as I had heard it wasn't seen since the morning.
Just checked Kilcoole and Broadlough for one instead but no joy!

Regards,
Niall

No bother
You'll know where it is for again anyhow. If something good shows up again. Hopefully ;)
There seems to be more than one Black-winged Stilt in the country anyway. Flyover in Cork too on Tuesday

Continuing a good run recently Pat Brennan found a Red-necked Phalarope at Lough Boora, Offaly yesterday evening. I went to see it last night and today. Very nice female. Its possibly a returning bird seen last June in the exact same spot at Boora. Accompanied by 6 Dunlin last night. Also 1 Cuckoo
A few people turned up to see it today.

Also today at Drinagh near Cloghan 1 Ringed Plover and 15 Dunlin and at least 3 pairs of Great Crested Grebes
Reddans Lough quiet today with just the regulars present

This morning at Faddan Bog, North Tipp I saw and heard one Cuckoo

Last edited:
Here is a pic I took of the Phalarope from Boora. ;) Taken near dark and in the rain on Friday night. There are some much better pics on www.irishbirding.com taken on Saturday.

Sunday was relatively quiet. 1 Cuckoo and 2 Jay about the best in the Silvermines.
At Goat Island, Lough Derg I saw a few Black-headed Gull chicks. Also pair of Yellowhammer and c.30 Tufted Duck

Also there are some photos of the Black-winged Stilt at Lough Eorna by Frank O'Duffy on www.irishbirding.com now too

Attachments

• Boora Back Lakes, 30-05-08,.JPG
    Boora Back Lakes, 30-05-08,.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back