• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decisions on new 8x (1 Viewer)

Gary58

I currently have both 10 and 8x CL b binoculars as well as an EL SV 10 x42 and a SLC 10x42 (latest version).
I am thinking of selling the SLC and getting a 8x to go with my EL 10x42. Does anyone have an opinion on the SLC 8x42 vs the 8x32 el? I am looking at another $700 for the EL’s vs the SLC’s. Having a hard time justifying the extra $700. Any opinions?

I went with the EL 8x32 over the SLC for better ergonomics, wider field of view, better close focusing, and a little more eye relief. Of course the EL is lighter with the smaller objective. No regrets here.

My advise: don't try the Zeiss 8x42 SF o:D

Or the FL 8x32 even lighter and smaller and no stray light problems - or the EDG 8x32, optically the best 8x32 but a bit larger and heavier.

Joachim, who smells tar and feathers being prepared...

Last edited:
The 8x32 FL is the best choice, I made in my whole sports optics life. B :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary,
That's a very nice optical force package you have there! Given your specific question and stated preference to possibly swap out the SLC 10 for a smaller lighter 8, based on my ownership and use, the 8x32 SV would be an excellent candidate. Re economics, you could consider buying a used SV 8x32, pre FP version. This would be cheaper and I generally greatly prefer all the previous SV generation accessories. RainStar in post #2 gives his reasons for preferring the SV 8x32 over the SLC. I have never compared my 8x32 SV to any SLC model but in my experience the SV 8x32 is an outstanding bin with its own set of strengths and compromises, just like all optics.
If you wind up considering branching out from the Swarovski line, the Zeiss FL T 8x32 or the Leica 8x32 UVHD+ would be possible alternatives to consider. Each is an excellent smaller lighter 8 although the ergonomics while great are quite different as compared to the SV and to each other. The Zeiss focusing mechanism/operation is very different.
Good luck with it. I don't think you can go wrong.

Mike

I currently have both 10 and 8x CL b binoculars as well as an EL SV 10 x42 and a SLC 10x42 (latest version).
I am thinking of selling the SLC and getting a 8x to go with my EL 10x42. Does anyone have an opinion on the SLC 8x42 vs the 8x32 el? I am looking at another $700 for the EL’s vs the SLC’s. Having a hard time justifying the extra $700. Any opinions?

That's a pretty hard decision for sure as I have both...and have owned an SF 8X42 AND an FL 8X32 AND an EDG 8X32. I'd probably slightly lean slightly toward the EL 8X32 due to having the best ergonomics in the market, lighter in weight, and more FOV. Stray light "problems" with the EL 8X32 have been nada for me.

Attachments

• DSC_0091.jpg
    DSC_0091.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 172
I think the EL 32 would be a best bet too. I owned some last year at a great price before I got the CL's . I felt that I could not justify keeping them and the CL's at the time and sold the EL 32's. Now I am thinking that they would be nice to have something larger and easier to get a good view through when we travel by vehicle. Not that the CL's are difficult to get a good image, I have just noticed that the EL's are easier. And sometimes it is nice to have the mid size 32's for hikes.

Here is my collection so far. I also have some 9 other pairs of cheaper but high value bino's.

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 236
Gary, do you like your 10x42 SV better than your 10x42 SLC? If you do it makes sense to get the 8x32 SV instead of the 8x42 SLC. You have to decide if you like "Flat Field" binoculars or not. If you like flat field binoculars with brutally sharp edges like I do then the SV is your binocular. No other binocular including the Zeiss SF, Zeiss FL or Swarovski SLC will give you the flat field and sharp edges like the SV will but some people are bothered by rolling ball which doesn't bother me nor is the much talked about glare in the SV's an issue. I have had all these binoculars including the Zeiss 8x42 SF, Zeiss 8x32 FL, Nikon 8x32 EDG, Swarovski 8x42 SLC, Swarovski 8x30 CL(New) and the Leica 8x32 UVHD+ and I now have the Swarovski 8.5x42 SV FP, Swarovski 8x32 SV FP, Swarovski 10x32 SV FP and the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. The Swarovski 8x30 CL is a good binocular but it is NO 8x32 SV. Don't let anybody tell you it is. If you want an 8x32 the three best are the SV, EDG and the FL. If you don't like flat field the FL's are your binocular. If you do the SV's are your best choice. The EDG's are kind of in between the two with less sharp edges than the SV and not as good ergonomics IMO. The EDG's are big compared to the SV's and don't fit my hands as well and I didn't find them as bright either but try them. You may like them but they are no longer made and it is questionable if Nikon will support them down the road, whereas, I think Swarovski is going to be there for you down the road and they have the best customer support in the industry. I have given you some stuff to think about but from what you are saying I think the 8x32 SV FP is your binocular. The Field Pro package gives you easier strap attachments which rotate so they don't twist as easy and you can adjust the strap or remove it much easier, a better rain guard, much improved permanently attached objective covers and best of all an improved armour which feels great in the hand. I have been there and done that.:t:

Attachments

• P4150001.JPG
    P4150001.JPG
    540.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed input Dennis. I could live with either the El or SLC 10x 20. The EL is just that much sweeter. I got a very good deal on the EL’s and would not justify the price difference vs the SLC’s if not for that. Then comes to a desire for a better 8x than my CL’s. The only choices while staying in the Swarovski family is the SLC 8x42 , EL 8.5, or the EL 32mm. I think the EL 8.5x42 are great but would like a handier binocular since I have the 10x. That leaves the 8x42SLC and the EL 8x32. Both are great but 8 oz and $700 separate the two and much as I like the SLC’s I think I would appreciate the EL’s more and carry them more. I have also thought about 8x56 or some 12x50’s but think they would be of limited use.

Regards

Thanks for the detailed input Dennis. I could live with either the El or SLC 10x 20. The EL is just that much sweeter. I got a very good deal on the EL’s and would not justify the price difference vs the SLC’s if not for that. Then comes to a desire for a better 8x than my CL’s. The only choices while staying in the Swarovski family is the SLC 8x42 , EL 8.5, or the EL 32mm. I think the EL 8.5x42 are great but would like a handier binocular since I have the 10x. That leaves the 8x42SLC and the EL 8x32. Both are great but 8 oz and $700 separate the two and much as I like the SLC’s I think I would appreciate the EL’s more and carry them more. I have also thought about 8x56 or some 12x50’s but think they would be of limited use.

Regards
I would pick the 8x32 SV definitely over the 8x42 SLC and even over the 8.5x42 SV if I could only have only one binocular even though I have the 8.5x42 SV. The 8.5x42 has a bigger exit pupil and might be a little better in low light but the compactness and light weight of the smaller 8x32 SV more than makes up for those advantages. The 8x32 SV will WOW you more than the bigger 8.5x42 SV because of it's bigger FOV. If I had to get rid of one of my binoculars it would be the 8.5x42 SV and if I could only keep one it would be the 8x32 SV.

OK
I ordered the 8x32 el’s. Annnnnd. A pair of 8x25cl’s. I must be going through a mid life crisis....lol!
Good choices! I have the 8x32 EL's and the 8x25 CL's. You have a good all around birding binocular in the 8x32 EL and a good compact in the 8x25 CL's for carrying in your pocket.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back