• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull in Venice, Feb 2015 (terrible pics) (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
Saw these gulls while on a ferry from Venice to Burano. I know the pics are terrible, but is it possible to identify them or not? If so it would be a lifer since I have very few gull species at all and none from Europe.

Attachments

• IMG_5432 (2).JPG
    IMG_5432 (2).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5432 (3).JPG
    IMG_5432 (3).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5433 (2).JPG
    IMG_5433 (2).JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 59
you can't ID them from these pics but the suggested species are the most likely ones and you defintely saw both species when crossing the lagoon.

Thanks.
So is it, in a birding sense, morally right to "tick" them or not?

That's down to you. Personally I prefer a positive ID, i.e. it is that species rather than an ID by elimination.

However they are more than likely the suggested species, especially the 'more than likely' BHGs in the last pic.

Thanks for the help all! I'll take it that I have in all likelihood seen Black-backed and Yellow-legged Gull, but not really tickable since I didn't ID it at the time and these photos are nowhere near conclusive.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back