• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Book Request (1 Viewer)

Going to spend 3 days in Singapore then going on a criuse spending a couple of days in Malayasia, a couple of days in Thailand and a couple of days in Vietnam, also 4 days at sea. Can anyone recommend a good bird book that covers this area. Thanks

If you take a look at my blog you might pick up some useful tips for your cruise.My wife and I have cruised this region twice but have not visited Malaysia. My Birds of Thailand Helm guide covered everything we saw but unless you go out of your way to find them don't have too high expectations. Singapore has a lot of potential for a small area.

In the forum we have covering books there are a load of sticky threads at the top, one of which is Best Bird Guides by region... Asia.

Though not sure if that area might be in the Australasia thread?

Not until you cross 'Wallace's line' which runs between Bali and Lombok, the Western start point of the transitional zone known as Wallacea and then cross the 'Lydekker line' on the Eastern side of Wallacea.

You will then, biologically at least, be in Australasia.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Map_of_Sunda_and_Sahul_2.png

A

Going to spend 3 days in Singapore then going on a criuse spending a couple of days in Malayasia, a couple of days in Thailand and a couple of days in Vietnam, also 4 days at sea. Can anyone recommend a good bird book that covers this area. Thanks

Have a look at the compact version of the Craig Robson guide to Birds of Southeast Asia. It covers all those areas; there aren't many other options.

Last edited:
There's also the recently published guide by Arlott which is probably, more up to date taxonomically than Robson?

I know. That's why I didn't say there aren't any options. My impression from other's comments is that Arlott is like van Perlo--he prioritizes publication speed rather than quality, so I'm not sure it's a better choice than Robson. But I'm just guessing since I don't have the book.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back