• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Day birding in UK? (1 Viewer)

Kkkaty

Hello
I'm new to this forum and though I'm a nature lover I'm also a journalist! So I hope no one minds if I post a request...
I'm writing a piece for the UK's Daily Telegraph about unusual ways to spend Christmas Day. I wondered if anyone on the forum a) has spent theirs birding; b) might be planning to do so again on the 25th this year and c) also has good quality pictures of themselves on a past Christmas Day? I don't want much, do I?
Santa hat/mince pies optional but welcome. Maybe in a hide, under a bush - whatever! But in the UK...
If so, do please get in touch!
Many thanks in advance - Katy

I have never gone out Birding on Christmas Day far too busy might have the odd birding after Christmas but every New Years Eve I write down what my last bird of the year is and what my first bird of the new year is.

I've twitched local Waxwings on Christmas Day a couple of times, and occasionally had a look round the local patch (it's nice to get out of the house for a bit: family's all right but you know how it gets....;)).

Many years ago (1988 was it?) news broke on Christmas Day on an American Robin at Inverbervie on the Scottish East coast and I know some people set off on Christmas Day. I'm willing to bet the locals nailed it on the day (and obviously one of them actually found it!) I didn't set off till Boxing Day, but still saw it, as well as a cracking Arctic Redpoll at Carnoustie golf course. :t:

John

Unless the weather is awful (foggy effectively) I am out birding all day each Christmas Day, often at Rutland Water. It is surprising how many people are out and about, but normally few real birders, mainly families etc out for a stroll.
No photos though.

Steve

I've not got any lifers listed for Christmas Day, in the UK or anywhere.
I'm sure I've done some birding on Christmas Day but I don't think I've ever gone out for the day.

I've got a mate who goes birding every christmas day and had a Great White Egret lifer one year, when they were still properly rare, had ringtail Hen Harrier three years running and Black Brant a couple of times too. His best story was of approaching a hide one year and hearing voices inside, assuming they were probably also birders trying to get away from the whole festivity stuff, he decided to knock on the hide door. One of them opened it and he promptly, for a laugh, started singing carols. The woman who opened the door said nothing, looked at him in a very angry way and stood aside so he could enter so he walked in, said hello, sat down and the three of them in there never said a word to him. They all stayed another 30 minutes before leaving and giving him 'a look', slamming the door behind them as they went.
There are some miserable s*ds around.

I've got a mate who goes birding every christmas day and had a Great White Egret lifer one year, when they were still properly rare, had ringtail Hen Harrier three years running and Black Brant a couple of times too. His best story was of approaching a hide one year and hearing voices inside, assuming they were probably also birders trying to get away from the whole festivity stuff, he decided to knock on the hide door. One of them opened it and he promptly, for a laugh, started singing carols. The woman who opened the door said nothing, looked at him in a very angry way and stood aside so he could enter so he walked in, said hello, sat down and the three of them in there never said a word to him. They all stayed another 30 minutes before leaving and giving him 'a look', slamming the door behind them as they went.
There are some miserable s*ds around.
He sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion - think he'd mind if you PM'd me his details? Katy

Thank you - I'll do that. Can't believe this is such a tough hunt! I can think of nothing nicer that hanging out in a hide on Christmas Day!
If you’ve got your own transport. But like myself who relies on public transport to go birdwatching, Christmas Day is a no no!
Ian.

Relax the rules a little bit and you've got the famous Boxing Day 2013 Brunnich's Guillemot at Portland in Dorset. Many birders abandoned their families and the festive celebrations to see this bird, yours truly included.

Dave W

Relax the rules a little bit and you've got the famous Boxing Day 2013 Brunnich's Guillemot at Portland in Dorset. Many birders abandoned their families and the festive celebrations to see this bird, yours truly included.

Dave W
:t:

Sadly not my rules. Sounds a great day though!

Won't tick all the same boxes maybe, but you were aware many, many more birders do a big day on New Year's Day - get the year list started with a bang and all that?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back