• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

Popped back down after lunch & the Wheatear was present along with the Redshank. Added 2 Green Sands to todays tally which I found in the workings.
Also nice to properly meet Matt Phelps today after briefly crossing paths previously at Cutt Mill.

John.

Good to meet you properly, John, and Rich H too. Great to catch up with some migrants at last!

No sign of the Redshank,Goosander, or Wheatear early this morning, but at least 4 Sand Martins over the workings & min of 6 LRP's around meadow / workings.

John.

Kev, yes found by Dave Baker, I got a text from Rich H, but by the time I arrived at 11:45 it had departed. Did get my first Blackcap of the year on the way back though as some compensation. Also 3 Dunlin on the workings today as well.

John.

Quick lunchtime session at Tices today produced highlights of male Wheatear on the meadow, the Redhead Goosander on the workings, Green Sandpiper, & min of 5 LRP's around the site. No sign of the reported Yellow Wag, I'm sure Matt will be along later to expand on that. Other migrants reported, 3 Willow Warbler, Swallow, Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, & 20 Sand Martins.

John.

Yep, great to see my first Blackcap and Swallow of the year at Tice's this morning. Peter Bryant was there with us, and it seems it was he who saw the Willow Warblers.

But of course the highlight was the Yellow Wagtail, by far a new early date for me. I first heard it in flight, and then saw it over the meadow with a Pied Wag. It then flew over our heads and circled a bit, before seemingly coming down onto the workings. I searched a lot but could not find it on the deck. About ten minutes later I heard it calling in flight again, but could not find it. I have a feeling it left at that point (about 10:00).

A productive morning at Tice's with Sean, between 9.30 and 11. Seemingly ever-increasing numbers of Sand Martin, peaking at c.30 before the cloud started to clear. There was a Swallow in amongst them which gave a very nice flypast. Close views too of a male Wheatear on the meadow, and also two Little Ringed Plover which flew right over our heads. Best of all was the Yellow Wagtail, which Sean picked up calling as it flew towards us over the meadow around 10.15. It flew right over us before doubling back, and seemed to dip down towards the sand banks behind the workings.
Didn't see or hear any Willow Warbler while we were there, but did pick up 3 at Frensham Great Pond around noon.
Other species of note at Tice's: 1 singing Blackcap, 2 x Buzzard, 4+ Lesser Redpoll, 2+ Linnet.
Also popped back this afternoon, where I met Dave Baker. Picked up one Green Sandpiper, and a Sparrowhawk.

Matt.

Yep, great to see my first Blackcap and Swallow of the year at Tice's this morning. Peter Bryant was there with us, and it seems it was he who saw the Willow Warblers.

But of course the highlight was the Yellow Wagtail, by far a new early date for me. I first heard it in flight, and then saw it over the meadow with a Pied Wag. It then flew over our heads and circled a bit, before seemingly coming down onto the workings. I searched a lot but could not find it on the deck. About ten minutes later I heard it calling in flight again, but could not find it. I have a feeling it left at that point (about 10:00).

Oops, great minds think alike Sean! And your time-keeping's better than mine too! (I'd neglected to change my watch to BST which didn't help!)

Matt.

Day off today so spent the morning at Tices, the male Wheatear is present for it's 4th day, 10 Sand Martins over the workings, singing Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaffs, & min of 2 LRP's being todays migrants. Other birds seen - Green Sandpiper, 2 Snipe, w/p GBB Gull, 2 Gadwall, 4 Shoveler, 4 Teal, 3 Meadow Pipit, Reed Bunting, 2 Stock Dove, 3 Lapwing, & Little Grebe.

John.

Text from Rich Horton this afternoon, Water Pipit & 3 Wheatears present on the meadow & Redshank in workings.

John.

Popped down for an hour this evening, pretty quiet compared to recent days. There were 2 Green Sands on the workings together, no other waders seen & 1 Sand Martin hawking over the workings. I see that an Osprey was seen over Fleet Pond this evening, eyes to the skys guys!

John.

Another excellent session at Tices this afternoon! Arrived & found 2 female Wheatears on the meadow, then was told by a visiting birder of a group of waders on the workings he could'nt id. I got the scope on them & was amazed to see 7 Black Tailed Godwits, some of which were moulting into summer plumage. I texted Rich Horton, who quickly arrived & then watched as the Godwits & gulls went up courtesy of a passing Peregrine! Sadly we could'nt re-locate the Godwits afterwards. Also had our first returning Common Tern, a Redshank & Little Egret on the floods, & my first 2 Swallows this year. Other migrants noted were 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, 4 LRP, & 14 Sand Martins.

John

Another excellent session at Tices this afternoon! Arrived & found 2 female Wheatears on the meadow, then was told by a visiting birder of a group of waders on the workings he could'nt id. I got the scope on them & was amazed to see 7 Black Tailed Godwits, some of which were moulting into summer plumage. I texted Rich Horton, who quickly arrived & then watched as the Godwits & gulls went up courtesy of a passing Peregrine! Sadly we could'nt re-locate the Godwits afterwards. Also had our first returning Common Tern, a Redshank & Little Egret on the floods, & my first 2 Swallows this year. Other migrants noted were 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, 4 LRP, & 14 Sand Martins.

John

John, another good day at Tices.

The seven Black-tailed Godwits are the first spring record with only three previous sightings all in the autumn last year. Also the Common Tern is the earliest recorded by 9 days.

Kevin

Lunchtime session today produced highlights of 3 Wheatears on the meadow, (2 fem, 1 male), and a passing Peregrine that gave great views as it flew directly over me! Also 5 LRP's on the meadow/ workings, 20 plus Sand Martins, 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, & 2 Buzzard. Nice to see a Little Grebe on the workings, no sign of the Common Tern though. Wildfowl no's continue to dwindle, only 4 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, & 2 Teal noted today.

John.

I knew it was a bad idea to go birding on the equator; it appears that I have missed a cracking start to spring at Tice's.

Rich

I went down to Tice's/Tongham GP this afternoon between 3 and 5. The 3 Wheatear were still present on the meadow, and there were still good numbers of Sand Martin over the workings. A couple of darker hirundines were flitting about higher over the meadow and bank, which I'm fairly certain were Swallows, although they were being buffeted by the wind, and had no obvious tail streamers, so was hard to say for sure! Buzzard numbers peaked at 3, as well as a Sparrowhawk. Many Blackcap and Chiffchaff singing.
Over at Tongham GP, there were likewise lots of singing Blackcap and Chiffchaff, as well as a Willow Warbler singing in the hedgerow next to the school playing field. There wasn't a great deal on the water there, apart from a pair of Lesser Black-backeds. As I headed back I noted a pair of Buzzard, and a distant pair of Raven circling beyond the A331.
Particularly nice way to end the visit was two Roe Deer (presumably a male and female as one had smallish antlers) roaming about over Tice's Meadow, and bathing in the right-hand pool, before coming quite close to the bank and feeding on willow saplings amongst the Wheatear.

Matt.

Last edited:
I knew it was a bad idea to go birding on the equator; it appears that I have missed a cracking start to spring at Tice's.

Rich

Well if you will go off gallivanting round the world ;) Welcome back mate, lets hope for some more good stuff this week!

Cheers,

John.

With a few Ring Ouzel about it may be worth checking the rough area between Tices Wood and Tongham GP. The only reported Ring Ouzel at Tices was seen in this area back in 2002.

Kevin.

Rich

Hi Rich,
It's already looking like the start of a bumper year for Tices. Sure to be plenty more migrants dropping in over the next 6 months.

Kevin

A superb spring afternoon at Tice's with the first Garden Warbler of the year (an early record but following one in the south east 2 days ago) and 4 Wheatears on the meadow. Sand Martin numbers have built up and a Common Tern was bathing near the spit. Blackcap, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff are all in full song.

Conversely, wildfowl numbers are down with only 2 Gadwall, 2 Teal, 1 Shoveler and 6 Tufted Ducks seen. Only 1 Lapwing also present.

Rich

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back