• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question: New KOWA spotting scopes in Black? (1 Viewer)

Ah, that explains it. Will these become collectors items only or stay the same colour for day to day use.

Kimmo,

Presumably that was caused by turbulence inside the scope rather than distortion of the scope body, in which case magnesium and aluminium alloy bodies would not be much better than polycarbonate.
I fear that my green 883 would absorb almost as much IR as a black one. I dont like socs but perhaps this is a valid justification for them.

John

John,

Back then, both I and Jan Meijerink conducted some further testing with other scopes also, some with metal bodies (Nikon Fieldscope) and some with polycarbonate (Kowa 823) and using a hot water bottle/timer as a repeatable heat source. The metal bodied scopes had significantly less (almost none) image degradation from unsymmetrically applied heat. Whether it is dimensional distortion or turbulence I'm not sure, but since polycarbonate has much lower heat conductivity, when sun shines or a heat pad applies heat to one side of a scope only, there was very obvious temperature difference between the heated and unheated sides, whereas with metal bodied scopes very little.

Kimmo

Nikon made a black rubber armored version of the edIIIa. Usually marketed through the “military supplies” outlets. Never have seen a copy in person.

I just received mine. The reason to buy the special edition was just that the kit includes the new neoprene stay on case.

The body is metal, powder finished, not rubber armored.

I have only tried it briefly just before sunset and it's really excellent. My previous scope is a Celestron Regal M2 65 with a Baader Hyperion zoom and there is a real difference, as expected :)

I also got the 1.6 extender and even in low light it worked very well. From my window I was reading a sticker fixed to a traffic sign at the street :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back