• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow House Finch (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
Saw a yellow variant House Finch today. The first one I have ever seen. How common/rare is this?

Attachments

• DSC_3745.JPG
    DSC_3745.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 10
Reasonably common, I used to see one or two regularly in the flocks frequenting my Reno feeders, for example. Dto for the orange and orange-red color variants. The variations aren’t genetic but are dependent on diet during feather formation so the same bird can be red one year and orange or yellow the next.

Here are some photos (scroll down a little to get to the House Finches—

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/albums/72157687944116052

Last edited:
Good photos and information. Thanks. Maybe they are more common in some areas than others. I do a lot of birding and had never seen one before. I wonder why two birds who live in the same patch of woods would be different colours.

I'd suspect it'll be related to bird feeder density - the seed put in feeders has fewer anthocyanins in than natural food. So birds in rural areas eating mainly natural food will get good reds, those in urban areas with poorer feeder diets will be yellower.

I'd suspect it'll be related to bird feeder density - the seed put in feeders has fewer anthocyanins in than natural food. So birds in rural areas eating mainly natural food will get good reds, those in urban areas with poorer feeder diets will be yellower.

Interesting point. . ..

Reasonably common, I used to see one or two regularly in the flocks frequenting my Reno feeders, for example. Dto for the orange and orange-red color variants. The variations aren’t genetic but are dependent on diet during feather formation so the same bird can be red one year and orange or yellow the next.

Here are some photos (scroll done a little to get to the House Finches—

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/albums/72157687944116052

Would you mind duplicating this post for the benefit of the BOURC?

Cheers

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back