• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GreeK Mainland 2002 (Parga, North West Greece) (1 Viewer)

I've just noticed this thread and since you mentioned Igoumenitsa, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

Just back in October we (myself + 4 family members) were on a sailing holiday ~ not a birding holiday. Towards the end of the week we found ourselves having to make a stop in Igoumenitsa to get some munski out of the bank!
We were only moored for less than an hour as Igoumenitsa is a very busy international commercial port and isn't the most pleasant place for a yacht. The colour of the water isn't what I'd consider conducive to any kind of fish-eating creature, and that is why we were so surprised to see a Kingfisher land, and stay on our stern line for about a minute before flying off to land on a rail parallel to, and about half-a-metre above the waterline of a nearby ferry boat.
So, what do I know about fishing in murky brown dockland water?
Obviously not as much as that Kingfisher!

P.S. ~ I hope that you've got yourself a digital SLR by now !!! . . it's the only way to go!

When I was there I called into one of the holiday reps offices that was on the the main seafront walk to look for any literature that might have been on hand. I found the following little gems.

Ecotouristic Map of Amvrakikos.
This map is a drawing of the whole reserve with drawings of birds that can be found at various sites around the waters edge and beyond. It has a few photos of the general area together with some descriptions about the place. Well worth having.

Amvrakikos Gulf Wetlands
A small six page brochure with photos and descriptions, some taken from the map above.

A guide for Ecotourism. River Acheron, the Narrows & the Delta

This is a cracking 30 page booklet that comes complete with photos and a full description of sites to visit along the river. Not primarily a wildlife booklet but the descriptions and photos give enough away to tell you that this is an area worth looking at.

I have kept them all just in case I decide to go back there.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back