• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabine's Gull, Enfield (1 Viewer)

prhodes

I don't expect a response but any ideas of viewing possibilities for the King George V Reservoir Sabine's Gull, without a permit. Tried from Mill Lane, Sewardstone, but northern edge of north basin seems very difficult to see from public footpaths. I had a permit but couldn't be bothered to keep it current, bearing-in-mind the effort and time necessary, as they seem to take it all very seriously.

I don't expect a response but any ideas of viewing possibilities for the King George V Reservoir Sabine's Gull, without a permit. Tried from Mill Lane, Sewardstone, but northern edge of north basin seems very difficult to see from public footpaths. I had a permit but couldn't be bothered to keep it current, bearing-in-mind the effort and time necessary, as they seem to take it all very seriously.

I can't answer your question but I too am very keen to see the bird this evening after work. Do I take it from your post that day permits are not possible? I'm keen to get some photos (poor record shots if need be) so want to get to the edge of the reservoir.
Can anyone confirm if access is possible on a day permit and also how bird was showing yesterday (ie mainly on bank or more distantly out in the basin?)

cheers
James

I believe that to see the gull well enough to photograph you need access. This can only be done if you have a key. There are no day permits. Unless access with a key holder can be arranged it's probably not worth a visit. Part of the north basin can be viewed distant fron Sewardstone Road, but the area it favours is out of view. I don't know if it roosts on the Girling where it may be viewed, but again distantly.

Cheers, Simon

I believe that to see the gull well enough to photograph you need access. This can only be done if you have a key. There are no day permits. Unless access with a key holder can be arranged it's probably not worth a visit. Part of the north basin can be viewed distant fron Sewardstone Road, but the area it favours is out of view. I don't know if it roosts on the Girling where it may be viewed, but again distantly.

Cheers, Simon

Thanks Simon, looks like I'll have to wait for a more accessible one :-C

Perhaps I should hesitate to say this but access was being permited today, I think as long as you were enthusiastic and so I was able to see the gull. It was just a few feet from the north eastern corner shore pecking continuously into the breaking waves in the strong wind - I hope at insect larva, rather than as a reflex action under the infuence of hunger. I'd say no chance of viewing unless you enter the site.

Thanks for the info, Phil

I think this is the reservoir I twitched a Long-tailed Skua at in the early 90s and got in OK then. Maybe they have some special arrangements when a rarity turns up?

I also remember the Long-tailed Skua in the early nineties. I used to watch this reservoir regularly back then. I never had a permit. When the gate was open for the sailing club I just walked in, when it wasn't I climbed underneath. I was never challenged. I'm not suggesting anyone does this now of course.
I do think it's a real shame when access is restricted for a top quality bird like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back