• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urban Bird Quiz. (1 Viewer)

10/10 :t:

Interesting the degree of international knowledge needed! And (unusually for this type of quiz) I couldn't fault any of the questions. It's actually written by someone who knows their birds.

Most of the questions didn't need any local knowledge, just a good grasp of bird knowledge in general. For example, that bar-headed geese are famous for their migration, but it doesn't involve the Antarctic. Or that a weight of 4.5 grams is sufficient information to identify one particular family of birds.

But there were some where I had my fingers crossed. I was only somewhat confident which swan was most common in the region and therefore the most likely in an urban environment; I wasn't very confident between two pink waders that might cross the Mediterranean; and I let myself be misled by what I thought was a hint in the question about the doves, even though I should have known which one was more common.

The "bin chicken' question wasn't hard for me, thanks to some hemispheric knowledge. I spent a few weeks in South Africa, where the garden and compost pile were regularly raided by a cousin of the correct answer.

PS I count 5 questions about Europe (including Iceland), 3 questions about North America (counting #1 which I also counted for Europe), and one each for India, East Asia, and Australia. Zero for South America or Africa. (Antarctica is excused, obviously.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back