• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400mm f4 DO IS USM query (1 Viewer)

simon colenutt

Hi All,
Does anyone out there use the Canon 400mm f4 DO IS USM for bird/wildlife photography. I am interested in obtaining one since I currently use the 100-400 zoom and am not entirely satisfied with its performance. Any information would be appreciated or even links to reviews would be cool.

Also I have a Canon 10D which I am looking to sell, it is in reasonable condition (perfect working order) but has the usual areas of wear around the corners of the camera body. The viewing screen has a few hairline scratches. I am looking for £400'ish but am open to offers.
Cheers,
Simon

Last edited:
B@!!***S I thought you had a 400 for sale. Ah well best of luck and if you do get one let us all know what you think of it.

Canon 20D + canon 400 F5.6 user.

Pete

Hi
hopefully iam about to purchase said lens, with a 20D,JUSTin time for a trip to Goa in feb, then to panama in may,so if i sort it out,i,ll post on here.

400mm F4 DO IS

I was talking to a serious wildlife photgrapher who knows his stuff, very pleased with the 400 DO, sharp images with 1.4 & 2x converters - certainly looks like beating lugging a 500mm around. I was going to buy a 500/4 but I am now reconsidering. I currently have a 100-400 5.6, had some nice results, but all the reviews plus the guy I was chatting with (he had 100-400 for 2 years) says there is no comparison, the F4 just produces much crisper images.

Still it's all lots of money - i have just shelled out on upgrading from a D60 to MKII N.

Hi Simon,

I had the 100-400 for quite a while and like you was not happy with the sharpness of some images. I changed to the 400 f/4 DO in October and was immediately blown away with it. It is a seriously portable piece of kit with a 20D and 1.4 mounted most of the time. I do a fair amount of overseas birding and the setup is ideal. I made my decision after trying out Michael McKee's outfit (20D & 400 DO) and really didn't need any further persuasion!

Take a look at my website www.stuartelsom.co.uk All shots taken after Oct/Nov are with the DO.

E-mail me privately if you want any further info.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Norfolkbirder said:
I was talking to a serious wildlife photgrapher who knows his stuff, very pleased with the 400 DO, sharp images with 1.4 & 2x converters - certainly looks like beating lugging a 500mm around. I was going to buy a 500/4 but I am now reconsidering. I currently have a 100-400 5.6, had some nice results, but all the reviews plus the guy I was chatting with (he had 100-400 for 2 years) says there is no comparison, the F4 just produces much crisper images.

Still it's all lots of money - i have just shelled out on upgrading from a D60 to MKII N.

Following recommendations by others, I made this upgrade just a few months ago. I can confirm: the 400 DO is the business! It is streets ahead of the 100-400 zoom. With the 1.4 converter it is fully auto and fully sharp! In my view, these two together provide the ultimate handholding bird photography set-up. Never mind the price (ouch!) go for it!

another converted 100-400 user I was well short of the 400f4 price so went for the much cheaper 300f4 and 1.4 converter---although shorter on reach it is an excellent lens much sharper than the 100-400 and with a much better DOF which makes flight photography a lot easier witht he 1.4 it becomes a 420 at 5.6 and works faultlessly---a much chaper option for anyone looking for a cracking sharp tele lens ---lots of recent photos at http://pewit.blogspot.com/

400/f4 Do

Hallo everyone again - i am definitely sold on the 400 DO now, used with 1.4 & 2x converters. I will keep the 100-400/5.6 for now - not sure what these fetch 2nd hand, and my wife Jacky will use it if I have the DO to play with.
Now, my question is has anyone bought from Digital Rev (Ebay) on their refund import tax offers. They are currently offering said lens for £3K, and offering to refund any duty - I am extremely tempted as this is at least £700 cheaper than any Uk based shop prices.

Anyone used them or can advise, I would be grateful??

Ta Chris

Norfolkbirder said:
Hallo everyone again - i am definitely sold on the 400 DO now, used with 1.4 & 2x converters. I will keep the 100-400/5.6 for now - not sure what these fetch 2nd hand, and my wife Jacky will use it if I have the DO to play with.
Now, my question is has anyone bought from Digital Rev (Ebay) on their refund import tax offers. They are currently offering said lens for £3K, and offering to refund any duty - I am extremely tempted as this is at least £700 cheaper than any Uk based shop prices.

Ta Chris

Yes. A Sigma 170-500mm lens. Customs wanted payment which I paid. Sent a copy of the Customs receipt as an attachment to an e-mail to Digital Rev (ebay)and the amount was credited to my PayPal account the same day.

www.baillieswellsborderterriers.co.uk

Hi!

I have followed this thread with keen interest, while I am also looking for a new lens. Iuse the Canon 300/4, but is not satisfied with its persormance - and hence are looking for what must be the ultimate, or....

Always a difficult task, while there is at minimum the same number of oppinions as are the number of lenses.

I am considering between the 500mm and 400 DO. There is a new lens from Canon 400/2,8 with stabilizer - and app 200 EUROS more expensive than 500mm and the 400mmDO... anyway..

Well. I am 100% convinced about the 500mm qualities - no doubt; and I imagine its possible to see difference between this lenses and all "beneath" it. Its much more problematic with the 400mm DO. I am not convinced that it is as good as the 500mm...

I wrote/asked different users around the world, and last answer were from a Finnish photographer which work in a team of other Finnish photographers. He said, that 400mm was his choice due its low weight (Also a very convincing and important issue for my part...) BUT it was not as sharp as the 500mm and the 300/2,8. Actually his oppinion was that the 300/2,8 was the sharpest. Hmmmmm... and I have seen quite many pictures with the 300/2,8 which I think is rather poor. So what to belive - one got the thoughts that the quality of the lenses varies... even among the same!

So for me, I am not still convinced that the 400mm DO is as excellent as e.g. the 500mm BUT I would be happy if anybody convinced me about its performance is as good as the 500mm.

Anybody else who notice the difference e.g. the 500mm and the 400 DO ?

Best greetings

Michael Westerbjerg Andersen

Norfolkbirder said:

Ta Chris

Yes, I bought my 400DO and converter from Digital Rev just a few months ago. The money took a long while to transfer and to appear on their system (2 weeks by my first-class post UK cheque to their UK address) as it exceeded my Paypal limit, but the lens came just another four days after that and they refunded the duty I had to pay at the door instantly. I would use them again (if I had any money left), but find a quicker way of transferring the dosh.

Digital Rev

Hirundapus said:
Yes, I bought my 400DO and converter from Digital Rev just a few months ago. The money took a long while to transfer and to appear on their system (2 weeks by my first-class post UK cheque to their UK address) as it exceeded my Paypal limit, but the lens came just another four days after that and they refunded the duty I had to pay at the door instantly. I would use them again (if I had any money left), but find a quicker way of transferring the dosh.

Thanks for that, looks like I will be aprting with some cash!

Digital Rev

Just checking if anyone else has used digital rev???
They have many positive but a few reviews where peole have not got the duty back. In this instance there is little in the overall cost compared with buying from my regular dealer.

Norfolkbirder said:
They have many positive but a few reviews where peole have not got the duty back. In this instance there is little in the overall cost compared with buying from my regular dealer.

if there's not much in it I'd stick with your usual supplier

baillieswells said:
Yes. A Sigma 170-500mm lens. Customs wanted payment which I paid. Sent a copy of the Customs receipt as an attachment to an e-mail to Digital Rev (ebay)and the amount was credited to my PayPal account the same day.

www.baillieswellsborderterriers.co.uk
Hi came across this thread and I was hoping for some advice from you. When you say your paypal acount was credited with the import tax cost? Can you explain what you meant. I have not used ebay before but I take it paypal is the method of payment used using your visa am I right?

Does that mean you get a sort of credit note facility that you have to use on ebay or .com online shopping or does the money actually go back into your visa acount? I was about to buy the Sigma 300-800 from digitalrev on ebay and the Import tax is hefty.
regards
John

My first experience ;-)

Norfolkbirder said:

Hi, I've just bought a Canon 28-105mm II USM lens from them .. unfortunately I can be of little help here since the refund was possible only for UK residents; what I can say is that communication was excellent, price was far lower than other EBay sellers and far far far lower than my regular seller, I paid the item (via PayPal) on 30th March and received it on 5th April (good packaging) ... perhaps they like pizza or I was just lucky ...

Bye, Max

JD you have to set up a paypat account(its linked to your bank account) then if you pay by paypal it comes out of your paypal account if you dont have enough funds in that accouint then it comes out out of your bank account.Any credit is paid back into your paypal account and then you can transfer that back into your bank account.Paypal is not a credit card account.Hope this makes sense.

Beg to differ Ragna. I use Paypal regularly and it is run solely off of my credit card. Any credit is put back into your Paypal account and then you have the choice of leaving it there for future purchases, transferring it to your bank or transferring it back to your credit card account.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back