• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (5 Viewers)

if this is an accurate representation of what you saw, you were well and truly spoiled! I'd give my eye teeth to be able to have group of beardies perform like that for me - this is going to be an absolute treasure of a pic.

Hi Nick , this is one of the rare occasions of a double fig. flock ive seen. But this hide at Cley between 8 & 10 am. with the morning sun is agreat spot. + a 30 ft. frontage & a little license on the comp.

Looking forward to seeing it develop Arthur, and getting more and more envious of your hides. I think Colleen has already asked about this but I'd really like to know more about the difference between American blinds and European hides. I have the impression that there are far more in Europe, or is it just England? And maybe they are better as well?

Looking forward to seeing it develop Arthur, and getting more and more envious of your hides. I think Colleen has already asked about this but I'd really like to know more about the difference between American blinds and European hides. I have the impression that there are far more in Europe, or is it just England? And maybe they are better as well?

just the UK - In France good hides are as rare as hen's teeth and the best one round here is Zippy the Renault 5.

I've been developing a set of bird rules, that is the rules the birds have....
one is
If you see a two-legged walking around within 200 yds, scram! if they are in a car or even a kayak, no worry, they can't get you...this might become a problem for duck and other hunted species...

A car is really handy for a hide, or campervan like LJ and Tim have.

Hi Ken,
ref. Hides. As you prob. know we don't have the large areas of habitat you enjoy. our reserves are small and so as to have minimum disturbance to the habitat and birds we have permanent structures (which can vary in comfort) sited arround the resreve to give maximum observation with minimum disturbance.
I hope this helps Ken.

A map to give you an idea and scale. The scrapes are man made and shallow for waders.
The hides in the pic. are 7 8 & 9 on the map. The thatched roof is from the reeds on site.

Granddaughter here for a week so not much going to get done onthe beardies.

Attachments

• scan 01-10-2009 22h58m35s.jpg
    scan 01-10-2009 22h58m35s.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi Arthur,

Thanks much for your explanation of hides, and for the pictures. The pictures really help for me to visualize them. And I'd forgotten how much more habitat we have here and how that might relate to hides and blinds. I just hope we have the good sense to keep the good habitat we have. Time for me to get out and take advantage of it this weekend I think!

Ken

Managed to get away for an hour to get the beardies under way

Attachments

• L1180655.jpg
    L1180655.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 45
  • L1180662.jpg
    L1180662.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Granddaughter off home tomorrow so can devote some time to this

Attachments

• L1180765.jpg
    L1180765.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 46
  • L1180775.jpg
    L1180775.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Really coming along Arthur! I had a hard time visualizing what it would look like from the very first sketch. But obviously you knew what you had in mind and are proceeding in just that manner. It's also becoming very coloristically rich, another thing I wouldn't have expected from the first sketches.

It's been a pleasure to watch develop!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back