• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

question regarding diopter ring (1 Viewer)

zeissist

Hi, I am a new comer here. I have ordered 2 Bushnell binoculars (Natureview 8x32 and Natureview 8x42) and would like to start "bird watching". |;|

I have a question regarding the diopter rings because I find that there is a difference between my two binoculars. As you see in the attached photos, I find that for the 8x32, when I turn the ring all the way to either "+" or "-", I find that the degrees which can be turned is the same on both side. That is, the distances of "A" and "B" are the same.

However, for the 8x42, the dipoter ring can be turned much more to the "-"side. That is, the distance of "D" is longer than "C".

Is it normal or a problem?

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Bushnell Natureview 8x32 A.jpg
    Bushnell Natureview 8x32 A.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Bushnell Natureview 8x32 B.jpg
    Bushnell Natureview 8x32 B.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Bushnell Natureview 8x42 C.jpg
    Bushnell Natureview 8x42 C.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Bushnell Natureview 8x42 D.jpg
    Bushnell Natureview 8x42 D.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 50
Hello Zeissist,

Welcome to the Forum.

I do not think that there may be any problem. I would not worry about it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

It's probably nothing, so long as you can set them up to suit your eyes you needn't adjust them any more. I presume you know how to set them up to match your eyes?

Joe

Thanks for your replies. Actually, I did read the instruction manual and know how to make use of the diopter adjustment ring.

I have discovered one thing. I am not sure if the diopter adjustment "zero" is the same for all binoculars. First, I adjusted the 8x32 and found that it was the sharpest when the diopter adjustment was "zero". Then I moved on to the 8x42. Interestingly that it was also the sharpest when the dipoter adjustment was "zero".

Therefore, I believe what I was trying to ask here in the first place that the further "-" could be turned for my 8x42 is not an issue. The index line on the dipoter ring was correctly marked and it is really "zero" when the index line is lined up with the center arrow.

I have discovered one thing. I am not sure if the diopter adjustment "zero" is the same for all binoculars.

It isn't. In a perfect world it should be but in the real world the "zero" diopter setting isn't consistent from one binocular to the next. It is a quality control issue and not necessarily specific to a given price point. I have owned several $1800 units of the same model and found this can be the case as much as it is with $200 units.

It isn't. In a perfect world it should be but in the real world the "zero" diopter setting isn't consistent from one binocular to the next. It is a quality control issue and not necessarily specific to a given price point. I have owned several $1800 units of the same model and found this can be the case as much as it is with $200 units.

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps it is what the manufacturer can say, "it is absolutely within factory tolerance standard." ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back