• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Bit Off Topic Please ...Orange Weaver Finch (1 Viewer)

Lydia, that is good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed for even better news, that there will be a flutter of baby wings for you and Mr.& Mrs. Weaver, in the near future!
Have the first one on me! ;) B :)
All the best Lydia

Hi Lydia, what are you putting in the food or water over there. Do stop it or your nerves will be frazzled!!!!

Good luck!!

We'll be watching, waiting, and praying that everything goes OK. :eek!: :eek!:

The Drama Continues ....

As the Egg Turns. ;)

Hi everyone. :hi:

Mr. Weaver destroyed the lower nest and is starting another, which is typical for him. One of the hens is missing for a few days. She is in the nest higher up in the free flight room. Since she is actually incubating her egg(s) we will not interfere as we did with the last clutch which was not being incubated.

So we wait for the sounds of chicks now. :'D

I think it may have been last year that one of the hens was murdered while incubating her clutch. **The SAVAGES**!!

As far as being frazzled .... I've been to the hospital emergency room twice over the weekend for migraine headaches. I finally got a medication that kills the pain within 15 minutes. (For about $20.00US a tablet, it BETTER work! LOL!) I certainly do not blame it on the Weavers. Just life as I know it here. ;)

I'll update you when I know something to tell.

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

Those Weavers sound like their own worst enemies; who needs predators?

Does the male simply tear the nest apart and leave the debris lying around or does he unpick the old nest and re-use the material for the new one?

MIgraines! Ouch indeed. I 'only' get the jazzy lights, not the headaches I'm happy to say. I had a friend who used to get the whole shebang and had to lie down in a dark room for a day at a time. You probably already know but keep off the chocolate and the cheese.

Bill.

Hi Bill,

The Weavers ARE their own worst enemies! The male breaks down the nest completely and reused the materials at another site and starts the weaving of the nest basket all over again. Sometimes a female will join in but the male does most of the work. If he sticks to it the nest can be finished within 3 hours.

LOL!!! I think if I had the luxury of being able to lay and rest for a few hours I wouldn't need to be taking tablets! ;)

Talk to you later.

L.

:hi: Hi everyone.

Just to update you on the finchy drama. Mrs. Weaver is still incubating her eggs. So far we have not seen any evidence of blue eggs being tossed out. The only way to reach the nest would be to bring in a ladder but that would certainly cause great panic in the flight room so we let things progress as they need to without disturbing the family.

The Society Finches have 4, FOUR (!!!!) white eggs in their nest basket.

:'D :'D :'D :'D

Maybe, if needed, they would care for baby weavers this time around? ;)

I'll keep you updated when I know anything new. B :) LOL!

Lydia

Fingers crossed for you and your eggs Lydia.
By the way you have my deepest sympathy re the Migraines, get them myself so know just what you go through. I have been known to take 4/5 days in a darkened room to get over a full-blown one. Very debilitating, to put it mildly!!
All the Best Lydia, and I do so hope you here the flutter of tiny wings soon.

Hi everyone. :hi:

Just an update on finchy matters from here. The Society Finches are still sitting on their 4 eggs. They keep adding bits of string, dried grass and cotton to line the nest.

Mrs. Weaver has changed her pattern of activity this morning. Rather than flying into the nest and settling in quickly, she now perches on the edge of the entrance and pauses for several moments before entering. Perhaps she is being careful to not squish a chick or perhaps she is feeding someone prior to entering the nest. She is very busy flying out and back to the nest now.

I have not seen any sign of the eggs if they did hatch. I can't hear if there are chicks in the nest either. The other birds in the aviary are too noisy. ;)

I have several thick towels on the floor under the Weaver nest. Should one of chicks get tossed out (as has been the norm) maybe he would have at least a small chance to survive the fall onto soft towels. I am hoping there would not be severe trauma to a tossed chick,as has been their history too, and the towels would help to keep the chick warm until we find him.

:D :D :D

Then we come back to dear little Bill, the egg. We were doing OK with the incubation as he was developing well but ... maybe he failed to hatch because we handled him too much. I read that the oil from ones fingers are enough to block the pores of the egg and the chick can suffocate if there are enough pores blocked. :-C We did not know that. We do now!

So many variables to hatch an egg. And the birds make it look so easy!

I'll keep you posted when anything else happens.

Lydia

`~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~

((I can't post photographs this weekend. When I try the computer shuts off! Hmmmm.))

Hello Lydia

So sorry to hear about the migraines. I also used to suffer quite badly from them, tablets were never any help as I could not keep anything down at the time.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I NEVER get them now. One advantage of reaching a more mature!! age is that the migraines have totally disapeared. Also they did gradually get less and less frequent, so perhaps yours will also gradually disapear.

Hope you will soon feel better.

Bridie :hippy: :flowers: :hippy:

Hi Lydia,

I've got my fingers crossed for the Weaver.

Didn't know that about handling eggs, but makes sense; if you have to do it again, try white cotton gloves?

All the best, Bill.

Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that Mrs. weaver is feeding chicks in her nest for at least the last 4 days! I have seen her take mealworms, seeds, cooked birdie food to her nest and have heard the distinct sound of TWO baby Bill's within!

She will not enter the nest if I am looking so we have been forced to make one visit to the free flight aviary daily to reduce disturbing her and her family. There is still the very real chance the chicks will be killed and tossed from the nest. The Weavers have done that twice in the past. But for now we are happy there is new life in the aviary.

The Society Finches are still on their 4 unhatched eggs.

The drama continues. LOL! And surprisingly no new migraines. Thanks, Bridie for your concern.

L.

Hi again Lydia,
That is good news, I've got my fingers crossed that all goes well for 'your babies'.
Wonderful news re migraines too, long may you be free of 'em, I'll keep my fingers crossed for that too!! (Don't know how I'll get anything done with all this fingers crossing though!!!) ;)
All the Best Lydia,

Congratulations Lydia,

So far so good, I'll keep my fingers crossed too!!!

By the way, what is the collective noun for a bunch of Bill's (answers on thread please) ;) B :) B :) Cheers - just wetting the babies' heads!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...... What is the collective noun for a bunch of Bill's ?

JOY! ;)

Mrs. Weaver is still feeding her children as of this morning. Mr. Weaver, being the slacker that he is, has nothing to do with the raising of the chicks. He is no longer dancing and courting so I believe our extended nesting season is done and we won't get more eggs from the Weavers until next September or so.

~~~~~~~> :eek!: Mrs. Society Finch went into her nest and there were wee chicky voices coming from inside. LOL! She is not at all shy about going in or out of her nest.

Updates as I figure them out. B :)

Lydia

:'D :'D :'D That is soooooooo true, Bill! I was thinkin' more along the lines of a small herd of baby birds named Bill, dontchaknow? ;) I **DO** like your answer much better though! :flowers:

Lydia

We have good news and bad news to report.

The good news is, Mrs. Weaver is a good Mom and caring for her chicks! Many trips to and from the nest keeps her busy and hopefully her youngsters are huge by now!

Mr. Junco seems to be singing a lullaby to them throughout the day and night! His song is beautiful!!!!!!! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there is very sad news to report today. :-C ... |=(|

There was no baby sound from the Society finches this afternoon. I broke protocol and invaded their nest. Two eggs are non viable and the chicks are dead. The smaller on e looks like he hatched and died soon after. :-C The other has a few feathers / down and is larger but he too has died not long before I found him and his sibling in their nest.

Maybe the parents are not experienced in raising youngsters? Did we need more finches? NO! Would it have been a blessing to have these two additional little finches brighten our day?

YES!

~~SIGH~~ I wish I knew what went wrong so we could have at least tried to help the babies but it was not to be this time. :-C

a very saddened Lydia

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back