• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Binocular Journal (1 Viewer)

Been looking for a lighter and more portable wide angle bin, I usually use either Canon 12x36 IS or ages 7x35 rangemasters, both kept in pelicases (I look after my optics), though it makes them heavier to lug about. I have read rather too many posts on this forum about many options… looks like the venerable 8x30E2 was the best option, but overly expensive and now hard to find. A nice 8x30E popped up for a decent price, so I snagged it. Arrived today, lovely and small, wide and sharp. If I could tell 2005 me about the E2 I could have done a little better, but still plenty happy. Now just n Ed to find more time to make use of them.

PEter

Bill,

Thanks for sharing what seemed to be a great day out with a glass. It seems like a very picturesque area,and the owl shot, some wait a lifetime to see that. When I have some time, (rain here on the east coast for days now and some time from work), I will try to contribute some views from here as well. Glad you are enjoying the EDG.

Andy W.

Very nice shot and discovery of the Great Horned owls! Good thing they are noisy at feeding time, or you might not have seen them! I saw the lichen and moss on that branch too, Lee!

:t:

Thanks Barry. I generally stay on trail as the poison oak is abundant. However the sounds I was hearing were intriguing, and the location was actually a clearing amongst the trees where a house had once stood before the reservoir was built in the late 20's.

I dare say there's more than lichen on that tree branch!.. some loose feathers for one..

-Bill

Bill,

Thanks for sharing what seemed to be a great day out with a glass. It seems like a very picturesque area,and the owl shot, some wait a lifetime to see that. When I have some time, (rain here on the east coast for days now and some time from work), I will try to contribute some views from here as well. Glad you are enjoying the EDG.

Andy W.

Andy, I am definitely enjoying the binoculars! I'm running an errand in the North Bay today and plan to use the EDG in some wetlands. It's probably more of a scope friendly environment, but I'll see how 10x performs. My only 'complaint' about them at this point is that they smell like tobacco. My wife used them and announced "these stink!" She didn't mean the optics....

I'd like to see/hear what your neck of the woods looks like from a birding perspective, so hope you post about it when you have the opportunity.

-Bill

I've been meaning to put pen to paper for a while, but time has been a scarce commodity of late. When the weather and birding is as good as it is you want to be out there as much as you can.

I returned to the Oberkochen 8x30 after several months during which the conditions would not let a single-coated porro play to its strengths, and have found myself delighted all over again by how enjoyable it is to use, its fine build quality, and what I still consider to be a pretty decent view. It is tiny - which actually took a bit of getting used to initially, but which I really enjoy now. When a porro is this small and light it is just as easy for me to handle as a roof. It's inconspicuous in use (which can be useful in certain situations), adds hardly any weight to the bag or briefcase you would take to work, and weighs hardly anything in the hand, which together with the old school Zeiss mechanical quality, make it most pleasant to use. Image wise, the expansive view is always enjoyable, and the poor light transmission by modern standards is less of an issue in strong May sunshine - although the fairly noticeable yellow colour cast can make for an unpleasant view in certain conditions (especially when there is a bit of haze/smog). I did find this binocular a bit finicky initially in terms of eye placement, but this has gone away with the familiarity of regular use. It gives you a very similar (adjusted for magnification) image to the 10x50 model from the same manufacturer I have now been able to compare it to, but over an even wider field of view which can be held much more steadily thanks to being half the weight and far more compact - a very neat packaging job. I get around the short eye relief by keeping the binocular to my eyes all the time.

I observed my most recent successful hunt by a peregrine with this binocular. She launched off her perch and went straight after a small group of pigeons flying out about 50 to 60 feet above the rooftops not far from me. Her first target probably saw her coming as it swerved away, but she immediately switched to two others and speared right into one, bringing it under control and dispatching it in seconds. All the birds were lit up by the morning sun and the old classic gave me the perfect view of the perfect hunt.

Attachments

• 20180520_072309_01.JPG
    20180520_072309_01.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Patudo, nice to hear of a vintage binocular report for a change here, and glad that you were enjoying them! I only have one vintage binocular that works-it's 7x35 Herter's 11 degree, which is very sharp, but only comes into it's own on overcast days when it isn't bright sunshine out. Then it doesn't show the yellow cast, of yesteryear, and gives a nice wide view besides.

Too bad for the Pigeon, but good news for the Falcon. Nature is nature, and we can't fault it, though it isn't always what we want to see. I would rather see a good get-away than a kill, but it is what it is. All of us need sustenance to live though. Some nature is passive, and some aggressive, but there isn't usually a choice if you are an observer, only as a participant!

I love watching Hawks, Eagles and other predatory birds like Owls too, though I just marvel in their flight abilities and beauty of form and function usually. I've never seen a live kill as yet, and I'm not really sorry I haven't! I think as you get older though, sometimes your testosterone levels don't rule you anymore, and you change a good bit, I believe. Then you feel more like I do about nature you want to see than nature that needs to be!

No matter, good report and binocular tie-in too!

Thanks Barry. I generally stay on trail as the poison oak is abundant. However the sounds I was hearing were intriguing, and the location was actually a clearing amongst the trees where a house had once stood before the reservoir was built in the late 20's.

I dare say there's more than lichen on that tree branch!.. some loose feathers for one..

-Bill

Andy, I am definitely enjoying the binoculars! I'm running an errand in the North Bay today and plan to use the EDG in some wetlands. It's probably more of a scope friendly environment, but I'll see how 10x performs. My only 'complaint' about them at this point is that they smell like tobacco. My wife used them and announced "these stink!" She didn't mean the optics....

-Bill

Heh, I think I saw lichen on that branch, but maybe not, Bill! ; ) I can see the one feather, and some other white stuff....!

I know of what you speak of stinky binoculars too-my 7x FL's seemed to smell pretty good when I first got them, like cologne or perfume even, but after that wore off, it was definitely tobacco that remained! I'm not fond of that stink either, even more so maybe because I used to be a smoker, and can't stand to smell it in the air now, or on objects. I think I can clean mine to help that smell (FL composite), and maybe get new rubber objective caps and a new case and straps. After that, there's not much left for the smell to linger. But I've been a bit busy, and haven't used them much at all yet. But it's on my to do list now.

Well, I snuck out again from the cave, to do some quick shopping over the weekend, and on the way stopped at my town site by the railroad tracks again, same as last week. But this time, it was just warmer and some sun instead of drizzle, though a quiet day there behind the strip office center on a weekend day. The grass field behind the railroad tracks was alive again with birds, I was pleased to see, as were the nearer bushes, wires and trees, and sky too for fly-bys. And the occasional mood upsetting commuter train, of course to breeze by, and blow its horn along the way, reorganizing the wildlife as it passes. Though luckily, the weekend schedule is better than weekday interruptions here.

All I had with my are my car bins, the Minolta Classic II 8x40 Porros, that don't seem to be a big handicap either in most cases. In fact at one point in viewing I just thought to myself, what a great view from these old bins, and what more could I ask, what more could I need than these! They were doing a great job of it, and I was glad I had them-my cheapest pair of used binoculars, bought for a paltry $50 back when it meant a lot to me, that $50 bucks!

One thing that surprised me though, was the setting of the diopter to my eyes that day, was far different than I had been using them before, more minus than plus, as I usually use them. But I could tell once I did adjust them, it was even a better view right away, and I was glad I decided to adjust them. Though this diopter just moves on its own, with some downward pressure on the oculars in use. So I have to keep adjusting them-no problem, as they have a useful embossed scale that is easy to see, so I just keep an eye on the setting as I use them. Yes, I probably could O-ring them also if I went to the trouble to find ones to fit.

I saw a bunch of birds but nothing out of the ordinary here except for a lone Eastern Kingbird, which I thought it could be at the time, for it's white tail stipe at the end of the tail, but it looked slimmer and smaller than I remembered from my one other time I saw one, which was closer to me that time. So this time, I was happy with the detail I could see with my aging Porros, but wishing they were 10x instead of 8x, just to get more detial in the wide open fields there. It's not the first time I felt that there, so I think I need to keep a 10x for when I stop by the office site in the future. That is where I believe I saw my first Bald Eagle-in the same Minolta bins I had in the car. That was even farther away than the Kingbird-even twice the distance at first, so yes, 10x can really be useful for getting closer to the birds that are farther than you would like to view them.

But I can say without a doubt, I like the Porro view a lot, for the 3D depth of field you get when you are focused on a spot, such as when I noticed that an area of grass was more in focus with the Porros, than when I used my roofs, which had to be refocused to show as much detail in a small area. I noticed this when comparing my 10x Porros to my 10x roofs, the first time. And now again when focusing on various areas of the field, and seeing the great depth of view these provide, showing wildflowers in groups that just please the eye to view them.

On another note, I found this helpful bird ID'ing site by various attibutes, which others may find helpful too:

http://www.realtimerendering.com/birds/birds.html

It's what I used to determine that it was really another Kingbird that I saw again, mainly from the white tail banding I saw. And then I found my Sibley's guide again, that fell under a piece of furniture-and was glad to have it after not having it for a while! I have a few other bird books too-like the Audubon guide, and Pennsylvania Birds, and another general birding book with great pictures, but missed having the Sibley when I wanted it!

Back at home this Spring, because I've been tied to the apartment lately, all I can do is witness the coming of Spring in the flora-the Dogwoods, Giant Pink Rhodedendrons, wildflowers and weeds blooming, and now the Sour Cherry tree-popcorn type blooms at first, and now the cherries are growing and changing color. That is my main focus lately at home, but also a few birds as well-a lucky glimpse of a colorful Cardinal, Bluejay, Goldfinch, or Starling, and the Crows, Doves, Sparrows, Robins, Catbird, Mockingbird, etc-but few and farbetween it seems here at times. But I am gateful for what I see even at home, as the changing seasons bring entirely different views here, and just depeding on lighting, it can vary from dramatic to ordinary, but it always makes me happy I have some bins to make it all look so much more impressive in the details I can see.

And when I get a chance to be away from home, it's just that more special to me to see different birds, and even white-tailed deer, and so much more flora that I ever see at home, that I always marvel in nature, even if it is still in suburban terrain, and the magic I see through my binoculars is so much different than with my own eyes! This is a secret world, only available to those in the know. But I hope we all can do more to get others interested in these special devices, and the natural world we all live in but don't always see without them.

Last edited:
But I am gateful for what I see even at home, as the changing seasons bring entirely different views here, and just depeding on lighting, it can vary from dramatic to ordinary, but it always makes me happy I have some bins to make it all look so much more impressive in the details I can see.

And when I get a chance to be away from home, it's just that more special to me to see different birds, and even white-tailed deer, and so much more flora that I ever see at home, that I always marvel in nature, even if it is still in suburban terrain, and the magic I see through my binoculars is so much different than with my own eyes! This is a secret world, only available to those in the know.

Well said Barry! Its good you are getting out a bit, but also enjoying the 'alternative universe' that the bins provide even when you are at home. It is a secret world of sorts.... going on with or without us peering at it through a keyhole.

-Bill

I was out yesterday birding at Madrona Marsh in Torrance, CA. It is only a few miles from my house and I've done more birding there than anyplace else, so it feels a bit like home court for me. It was mid-afternoon and windy, so it was not the best time for birding, but I just got a new binocular (Zeiss Victory 8x25) that I wanted to try out. The marsh was pretty much deserted at that time, but the sun had broken through the overcast so it was a very pleasant hour's walk.

The marsh is drying and the ponds are receding, so there were fewer water fowl than even a week ago. OTH, it is spring and there are many young to be seen, especially Canada Geese and Mallards. Fortunately I did not run into the young skunk I found last week. The notion that I might be between that baby skunk and it's mother had me gingerly but slowly walking backwards in my footsteps like a cartoon character trying to leave the scene.

i was looking for warblers at the bank of a very small pond covered in dense foliage. There were a couple of Mallards feeding and over the course of a minute or so two Snowy Egrets flew in and then were joined by a third. All three were shuffling through the shallows to see what they could stir up. One Mallard protested mildly, and then everyone was back about their own business. It was one of those quiet peaceful moments when I found it hard to believe I was in the middle of the city.

BTW, I am very excited about this new binocular. It is light/compact, and handles very well. I am surprised that a binocular this small can perform so well. Of course it still has the new toy aura, but I am optimistic that this one may be something special.

Alan

I was out yesterday birding at Madrona Marsh in Torrance, CA. It is only a few miles from my house and I've done more birding there than anyplace else, so it feels a bit like home court for me. It was mid-afternoon and windy, so it was not the best time for birding, but I just got a new binocular (Zeiss Victory 8x25) that I wanted to try out. The marsh was pretty much deserted at that time, but the sun had broken through the overcast so it was a very pleasant hour's walk.

The marsh is drying and the ponds are receding, so there were fewer water fowl than even a week ago. OTH, it is spring and there are many young to be seen, especially Canada Geese and Mallards. Fortunately I did not run into the young skunk I found last week. The notion that I might be between that baby skunk and it's mother had me gingerly but slowly walking backwards in my footsteps like a cartoon character trying to leave the scene.

i was looking for warblers at the bank of a very small pond covered in dense foliage. There were a couple of Mallards feeding and over the course of a minute or so two Snowy Egrets flew in and then were joined by a third. All three were shuffling through the shallows to see what they could stir up. One Mallard protested mildly, and then everyone was back about their own business. It was one of those quiet peaceful moments when I found it hard to believe I was in the middle of the city.

BTW, I am very excited about this new binocular. It is light/compact, and handles very well. I am surprised that a binocular this small can perform so well. Of course it still has the new toy aura, but I am optimistic that this one may be something special.

Alan

That sounds like a great moment to be in, Alan-and I'm glad that you were there to experience it. It's those moments that we all live for, and that will become memories that we cherish over time.

Enjoy your new binocular-it sounds like a nice one. Young eyes probably do better with the compacts, I would imagine. If they work for you, that's great!
Sometimes less is more, and you seem to have discovered a good one for you. I hope they continue to please you. Give an update if possible-it's good to hear different views for a change too, thanks.

bluespiderweb, that is a nice idea about the 'secret world' and part of it is about being in the right place at the right time.

While waiting for the 12x50 HDs to come back from Meopta I have only had the Kenko Ultraview II 8x32 Sightron clone to play with. They are very satisfactory but less useful at home since the big trees came into leaf. Nor are they much use on the nearby Common now for the nightjar season at around 10.00pm! It is a huge area of heath and scattered trees where each year they tend mostly to be seen or heard in a different place. For that reason and with some success, I have tended to make a different particular spot the current favourite, and this year it was a bench on a slight ridge in an open area. There were several nights when they have briefly appeared there, so I guessed there might be a nest nearby, and yesterday evening I was prompted to have another go by a feature about nightjars on the Springwatch TV series (BBC2 IPlayer from 48mins 15secs 'in', until 52mins)

So I went to the Common again, where the bench is only a short walk, and got a good view of a woodcock in flight on the way. At 9.15 there was the spell of birdsong, most of which which I could not identify as the birds all settled down for the day. Then a bit of churring by NJs in the distance, and on cue at 9.45 from that bench, saw them again. On one of three occasions over a few minutes, one of the beauties flew right towards me, and then almost around my head for a few moments, as close as 10 feet away. On another, a bird flitted back and forth quite near and really low down, and every time it was still strange and wonderful, perhaps the best evening so far.

Last edited:
So I went to the Common again, where the bench is only a short walk, and got a good view of a woodcock in flight on the way. At 9.15 there was the spell of birdsong, most of which which I could not identify as the birds all settled down for the day. Then a bit of churring by NJs in the distance, and on cue at 9.45 from that bench, saw them again. On one of three occasions over a few minutes, one of the beauties flew right towards me, and then almost around my head for a few moments, as close as 10 feet away. On another, a bird flitted back and forth quite near and really low down, and every time it was still strange and wonderful, perhaps the best evening so far.

Wow. Did they do any wing-clapping? Its ages since went out at night on Hollesley Heath in Suffolk and watched them ghosting around and displaying. Magical.

Lee

No, until seeing that Springwatch episode I have not heard wing clapping or seen the strange wing vibration. Also thought they only churred when sitting in a tree, because it had been so well localised when I have heard it at short range before, apparently from a birch grove which I used to visit in the last 2 seasons. So far I have not heard or seen them again there this year.

You're right Chris, if your timing is right, sometimes you are rewarded with even more than you expected. But those I consider bonuses, in addition to our regular magic-eye views from our binoculars of everyday scenes of nature and light, and familiar surroundings.

I like your story of the Nightjars, and I wondered if they were related to the Nighthawks I used to see around here. So I looked them up, and sure enough, they are very similar! I used to see these Nighthawks when I was a kid, spending as much time as I could outside until I had to come in for the evening! I always marveled at their graceful flight and silouhettes, with the white wing bars on thier large slender wings clearly visible to ID them.

The last I saw one was when I was nearing 20 at my parents apartment, about 45 years ago! There was an adjacent vacant field where you could still see some nature, and the Nighthawks could always be counted on to be there in their season. Now there is just another ugly housing development there, of course. At that time, I wasn't even interested in bird watching, but I just liked untouched wild areas. Most times I didn't even have my binoculars in these occasional sightings, an 8x30 Bushnell Sportview Porro that performed pretty well, probably due to the simple design, and being made in the late 60's when it seems quality control was pretty good for Bushnell. [Edited to add]: I just thought of the possibility that my 20/20 visioin back then helped too! I'd like to take a view through them again, if I could now. But I sold them off to a friend. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he still has them, though we have lost touch over time.

I found a great website, and I imagine many of you know about it-The Audubon site that lists birds, pictures and soundbites to let you also hear them, and compare other similar species. Here's the link, if you don't already know of it: https://www.audubon.org/bird-family/nightjars

I heard that flutter of the wings on the Nightjar's sound clip-and it reminded me of a Ruffed Grouse-another bird I haven't seen in many moons, but they do live north of us here, in the Pocono mountains, and I seldom go there anymore.

Thanks for sharing your outing with the Nightjars, Chris! Great to be there along with you!

Last edited:
I was out yesterday birding at Madrona Marsh in Torrance, CA. It is only a few miles from my house and I've done more birding there than anyplace else, so it feels a bit like home court for me.

Alan

Hi Alan... I was wondering if you've spent much time at Palos Verdes? I've seen some great photos of peregrines from there - if I ever visit your area that's a place I must stop by.

Over here summer is in full swing and the young birds are learning to fly. At present they are doing quite a bit of play-fighting (including some dramatic sequences high over the city) and chasing their parents around noisily. Over the next month or two they will be developing the hunting skills they will need for survival. It's a great time to watch them, perhaps the best time of the year - the only issue with having so many hours of daylight is that you won't be able to observe through the whole day. Weather has been great, and these sunny conditions are perfect for breaking out the classic porros that I put back into the drawer when the dull grey days of autumn set in.

I spent a week away in the Canary Islands recently. The Barbary falcons were harder to observe than on previous occasions but I did manage some good views. I switch from binocular to binocular quite a bit back home, but when travelling I rely on the 10x40 Dialyt (P version) - compact, easy to hold steady, of reassuring build quality and still very much a pleasure to look through. The 10x magnification is perfect for hunting for distant birds high in the sky and over big landscapes like this steep volcanic ravine.

Attachments

• P1080336_02.JPG
    P1080336_02.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 90
Hi Alan... I was wondering if you've spent much time at Palos Verdes? I've seen some great photos of peregrines from there - if I ever visit your area that's a place I must stop by.

Over here summer is in full swing and the young birds are learning to fly. At present they are doing quite a bit of play-fighting (including some dramatic sequences high over the city) and chasing their parents around noisily. Over the next month or two they will be developing the hunting skills they will need for survival. It's a great time to watch them, perhaps the best time of the year - the only issue with having so many hours of daylight is that you won't be able to observe through the whole day. Weather has been great, and these sunny conditions are perfect for breaking out the classic porros that I put back into the drawer when the dull grey days of autumn set in.

I spent a week away in the Canary Islands recently. The Barbary falcons were harder to observe than on previous occasions but I did manage some good views. I switch from binocular to binocular quite a bit back home, but when travelling I rely on the 10x40 Dialyt (P version) - compact, easy to hold steady, of reassuring build quality and still very much a pleasure to look through. The 10x magnification is perfect for hunting for distant birds high in the sky and over big landscapes like this steep volcanic ravine.

Palos Verdes is actually a large peninsula that has a variety of interesting birding spots. There are a number of birding groups locally, some have weekly outings and others go out monthly. We rotate locations including several in or near Palos Verdes. Most of the birds of prey I see there are Red-tailed Hawks, Ospreys, or Coopers Hawks, with regular appearances by Kestrels, Kites, and Shrikes. We have had Peregines nesting on the coastal cliffs near Point Vicente and I expect those are the photos you are seeing.

It is summer here--our marshes are drying out quickly; the warblers and other Spring migrants have pretty much gone, so it is a bit of a doldrums here for some spots. OTH, we are also enjoying the rituals of youthful birds and parents. Last Tuesday there were fewer than usual at our weekly outing, and someone had called in to say there was nothing new reported at the spot we were visiting. Yet is was a glorious couple hours walking a couple miles and we managed to see 22 species of nothing new busy making a living or in the case of one young Cooper's Hawk, trying to make a living as crows chased him from tree to tree.

If you get to Southern California, get in touch and I can help you join up with some of the folks who really know the birds of this area.

Alan

Las Vegas Birding....

What a TRIP!

Downtown Las Vegas is really not my cup of tea. When I arrived Friday night at 830PM the outside was 110 degrees. Can you believe that? When I headed out the next AM at 6AM the temp was STILL 96 degrees. Crazy! But once we headed up into the mountains the temp went from 96 to literally a wonderful 76 degrees! Not TOO far north outside of Las Vegas really turns into some nice recreation areas. I loved every minute of it!

The plan was to head north and make a loop thru the mountains. Places we went were Floyd Lamb Park, Desert NWR-Corn Creek, Spring Mountain NRA-Deer Creek Picnic Area, Indian Springs Parking area, and Toiyabe NF.

Skies were overcast for the most part. Kind of hazy. The sun would peak out here and there. It was quite a great day for birding though! It actually exceeded my expectations. So many great birds I've never seen....Gambel's quail, Greater Roadrunner, three species of hummingbirds, white-throated swift, Lazuli Bunting, yellow-headed blackbird, and green-tailed towhee to name a few!

Once again the Swarovski EL Swarovision 8X32s performed flawlessly. I'll admit that I brought along the SV 8.5X42 just in case the birding was at a little more distance but was no need...they never left the car. I was actually a little surprised at how close most of the birds were. I felt the Leica UVHD+ 7X42 would have been right at home on this trip as well. I ended up walking almost six miles on this day and was certainly appreciative of the light weight and small profile of the SV 8X32s and was equally happy with the Rick Young UL harness.

Overall a GREAT day of Nevada birding!

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpg
    IMG_0986.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_09881.JPG
    IMG_09881.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 59
Wow, Chuck, it sure seems like you got transplanted there by a strong breeze, and you weren't in Kansas (Atlanta) anymore, just judging by the great scenery in your nice pics! And the 110 deg down to 76 in the mountains souns like another fortunate trip in itself! Lucky, that bit! At 110 I would probably just melted into the sidewalk and stayed there! ;)

Glad you had a great experience out West-and good to hear it was an interesting one for you. Sounds great to be in those mountains and seeing all you did. I might get out tomorrow, finally after a long time down, even if it is warmer than I like. I need to escape to the woods and get some "me" back in the process. All else will be a bonus! I plan on taking my 7x42's out for a ride in the leaves and greenery. Should be a welcome change!

I'd surely like to see that Lazuli Bunting, Chuck! Not enough blue birds out there for me!

Chuck,

Did you go with local birders or arrange your own itinerary? Just curious as I'll be in Las Vegas in a couple weeks.

Thanks,
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back