• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DigiScope or Camera/Lens? (1 Viewer)

I've done / do both. For me it is primarily about speed. An SLR with a long lens is WAY faster to use therefore easier to get the shot. The lens speed is much faster with a long lens allowing faster shutter speeds which is critical for sharp pics.

You will miss a lot of images when digiscoping and for flitty, active birds it can be as frustrating as golf. BIF are virtually impossible. Generally, image quality is much higher from files out of a DSLR. Less noise, higher ISOs, sensor size, high shutter speed

It's true that one must use better fieldcraft with the long lens as you'll (generally) need to be a bit closer, but you'll have better tools to work with once there.

Que the list of photos posted depicting good results from digiscoping. I have some myself (look at my early gallery pics if interested), but the percentage of keepers and the chances of successfully getting the image of that rare or unique opportunity is far greater with a camera and lens IMO.

Added: My experiences are being out in the wild. No zoos, nature preserves, no hides / blinds. For those circumstances where one is afforded more time and opportunity, the differences between digiscoping and telephoto work may become narrower.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back