• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Great pic - I love to hear about your kingfisher seeking exploits!

I have only seen one infrequently on my travels in the Sarehole Mill area, but I think your sightings are the other side of Trittiford Mill from me!

Great pic - I love to hear about your kingfisher seeking exploits!
I have only seen one infrequently on my travels in the Sarehole Mill area, but I think your sightings are the other side of Trittiford Mill from me!

Hi Julie, Thanks. A few years back in 2014, just when I started out on my Kingfisher craze lol, the River Cole from Sarehole and past the ford was my first regular early morning haunt for Kingfisher. I remember I used to run along the footpath and the Kingfisher would call from the trees on the left after the ford and fly past me and down the river. It was spring and there were a pair and they probably had a nest in that area, but I was still learning then lol (I still am).
I got my first decent Kingfisher photo's of them as well as following.
They were in the same tree for two days running so the second day I was able to return with my camera and get the photo's.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14087905403/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14044733426/in/dateposted-public/

My early morning Kingfisher today was the regular one on the Bourn. It made me laugh as normally the Heron is in pole position on the pond outflow. But today the Kingfisher had taken that spot.
Later in the day I saw one in the regular spot at Scribers Lane, Trittiford.
Great!

Last edited:
I see on BTO, Stuart saw a Kingfisher at Wychall Res.
Great!

I wasn't expecting to find one today, given that the Rea was running high and the colour of milky tea! I actually saw it on a small pool a bit further down the path, near the last bench before the footbridge.

Also 37 Teal down there, 5 Goosander at Merecroft, with a pair of Shoveler and a Little Egret.

I wasn't expecting to find one today, given that the Rea was running high and the colour of milky tea! I actually saw it on a small pool a bit further down the path, near the last bench before the footbridge.
Also 37 Teal down there, 5 Goosander at Merecroft, with a pair of Shoveler and a Little Egret.

Nice one Stuart! Great to know where the Kingfisher goes to with the muddy water. I can never find one on the Selly Oak section when it's muddy water.

Grey Heron and Kingfisher present and correct at the Valley Pool outflow, 3pm this afternoon.

Hi Rob, which one had pole position next to the outflow? (LOL)
The Kingfisher had it, to itself at first light.

it was good to see two female Goosanders busy diving close to the edge so I could see them at Manor Farm park lake.

There was a female Kingfisher on the upper Bourn Brook early afternoon.
A heron was a short distance away.
A nice male Bullfinch as well.
Great!

Last edited:
Hi Rob, which one had pole position next to the outflow? (LOL)
The Kingfisher had it, to itself at first light.

The Heron was in pole position, with the Kingfisher perched low over the water in a tree a few metres away.

I should try to pop out and do some local sites today at some point, but we've been struck down with the Christmas lurgy - five days and counting - ugh.

The Heron was in pole position, with the Kingfisher perched low over the water in a tree a few metres away.

Thanks Rob. Hope you all get better soon.

The Kingfisher was on it's own at the pond outflow at first light.
Later at midday I then saw a Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook fly out from the QE roundabout.
Further on there was another one at the Dental Hospital. As it flew past it did a body roll to show it's red chest.
I then checked the Bourn again and noticed the Kingfisher flies between a couple out flow pipes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/39398605642/in/dateposted-public/
Two Goosander then landed on the boating pond and did some quick fishing they were only there for five minutes. They swam with their heads under the water. I've never seen that before.
I saw one catch a few fish.
Great!

The Bourn Kingfisher was really difficult to find this morning as the light was poor due to the grey skies.
It was close to the brook bank just down from the pond in flow.
It then flew to a tree over the brook.
The clearer water probably gave it a chance to fish over the brook.

Later in the morning I had a look around Elmdon Nature Reserve.
It was a good challenge to find a Kingfisher at a new site to me. I'd seen reports of Kingfisher on BTO.
I thought the brook that runs through the park would be the most likely spot after the lake and sure enough there was a Kingfisher.
A male Goosander on the lake.
Great!

Hi Stuart, I found the Kingfisher today near where you said on Wychall Reservoir. Thanks.

This morning the Bourn Kingfisher was over a second outflow taking cover from the wind.
Great!

First the Chinn Brook Kingfisher.
Then a Kingfisher on the in flow to the Sarehole Mill pond.
There was a Buzzard low in the trees in Moseley Bog.
Later the Kingfisher was in it's usual place on the upper Bourn Brook, it's now preferring a branch over the brook.
Great!

A miserable day.
On the upper Bourn Brook the Kingfisher was perched over an inlet pipe to the brook.
It was good to find another on an inlet when the brook water was fast and brown.
Last year this patch was a regular haunt for the Kingfisher so good ones hanging in there again this year.
A Grey Wagtail flew past.
Great!

Last edited:
The Bournville Bourn Kingfisher might now be fishing elsewhere.
Not seen it fishing for 2 days.
It flew past this morning calling.
That was 8 weeks in total I saw it along the Bourn including everyday for the last 14 days.
For the majority of those last days it was fishing by the pond outflow or over an inlet to the Bourn.
The Bourn water has been pretty muddy and fast with all the rain.
I shall keep looking.
I presume it's now on the Woodbrooke Lake.
it was good to see it everyday and funny to see if it had pole position next to the outflow instead of the Heron.

At first light on the Bourn the Heron flew in the same time as I arrived.
It landed directly opposite me on the pond outflow.
But there was no Kingfisher.
So I took a short walk along the Bourn.
As I walked back I heard a few calls that sounded like a Kingfisher.
As I got to the white metal bridge I saw the Kingfisher flying fast along the brook bends.
So I checked out the pond outflow again.
Just as I got to the pond outflow I saw the Kingfisher dive into the water.
Just as it hit the water the Heron moved across the water and tried to stab at the Kingfisher.
It missed of course as the Kingfisher had already flown out of the water and along the brook.
It then flew back to a tree over the brook past the Heron and striked the fish against the tree branch.
Great!

First light the Kingfisher on the Bourn past the pond outflow.
Midday a Kingfisher and 2 Little Egrets on the Hatchford Brook at Elmdon Nature park.
Great!

Finally after all the holiday rain, the water levels were low and the rivers/brooks clear. Great!
This afternoon, a Kingfisher on the River Rea, past Wychall Lane.
Then the Kingfisher on the Bourn and a Pied Wagtail by the Valley Parkway pond.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/25779837508/in/dateposted-public/
On the Bourn Brook by Harborne Lane bridge a pair of Bullfinch, further along a Grey Wagtail.
As I walked back I thought I'd have a closer look just in case, the Bullfinch were still there.
And what flew out of the same tree? Yes a Kingfisher!
Great!

Last edited:
A Kingfisher was back along the River Rea, Selly Park midday.
First time I seen one for a few weeks along this stretch.
Mid morning there were 2 Goosander on the Valley Parkway pond.
I like it how the female looks for fish head down.
I can see they catch minnows in the pond.
Great!

Attachments

• Goosander.jpg
    Goosander.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 28
First light this morning I did the Woodbrook, Bourn, River Rea, Bournbrook run, just under 10 miles.
The highlights were a Kingfisher on the River Rea with a Little Egret further along.
A few Herons on the river.
No Kingfisher on the Bournbrook but I didn't hang about.
A Bullfinch at the Dental Hospital and a Grey Wagtail by the QE roundabout.
Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back