• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (14 Viewers)

Congratulations on becoming a Granddad again. We will have to start a Creche for yours soon!
Do you mean you might, or might not, be around much in the next few weeks? Squeelia

Thanks Celia..don't know if I'm coming or going. Not sure what my Grandad dugies are as yet suffice to say two work party members to take over from me or at least help me when I'm old or should I say older8-P:t:

Having reached the half-way point of the month the July list has struggled to 77 species (I suspect a number of the commoner species simply haven't been reported). Potential additions for the remainder of the month include (year ticks in bold as always):

Pochard, Little Egret, Cormorant, Red Kite, Pheasant, Ringed Plover, Whimbrel, Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Common Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Little Gull, Black Tern, Arctic Tern, Sandwich Tern, Collared Dove, Grey Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail, Stonechat, Whinchat, Wheatear, Mistle Thrush, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Rook, Jay, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer

Having reached the half-way point of the month the July list has struggled to 77 species (I suspect a number of the commoner species simply haven't been reported). Potential additions for the remainder of the month include (year ticks in bold as always):

Pochard, Little Egret, Cormorant, Red Kite, Pheasant, Ringed Plover, Whimbrel, Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Common Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Little Gull, Black Tern, Arctic Tern, Sandwich Tern, Collared Dove, Grey Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail, Stonechat, Whinchat, Wheatear, Mistle Thrush, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Rook, Jay, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer

Can help Had a Cormorant on the moors on the 8th, and a Grey Wagtail at the flashes on the 11th.

Phil.

My new Grandson born at 7.30. this morning ...so I might NOT be around too much in next few weeks. :t:
Toby John Wilson.
Congrats on the new nipper:t::t::t::t::t:
Best start saving for some small, quality bins!!!
Then bikes...then m/bikes....then cars...then houses....uni....????

Dave J reports from the Flashes this morning:

24 Avocet (+ 24 young), Greenshank, 5 Green Sandpipers, 3 Common Sandpipers, 7 LR Plover (incl 4 juvs), juv Oystercatcher, all 3 young Redshank now flying, 2 juv Shelduck, 7 juv Shoveler, single Tufted brood, Teal, Gadwall.

2 Egyptian Geese on Sailing Pool.

And from the Moors Pool Dave reports:

13 Common Tern (+ 6 young - 2:2:2), 5 Oystercatcher + 1 juv, Mute Swan (+ 5 cygnets), single young Gadwall, 18+ Tufted broods, 2 new broods of Little Grebe (3:2) + 2 juvs, Teal.

That's an interesting graph and it's a bit of a pointer towards my hypothesis. It's probably a combination of mink control along with the disappearance of ruddy ducks and the development of more nesting habitat.

There are definitely lots of pea mussels in the Moors Pool but hopefully the zebra mussel hasn't got in as it's a real threat to native species (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_mussel )

Incidentally there is strong evidence that the presence of otters can help push out mink and the fact that otter sightings are now regular could bear this out. Back in the late '90s Andy Graham and i found otter spraint on a pallet that had washed down in a flood and lodged under the bridge below the A38 so they've been in the area for some time.

a few off me

spent yesterday birding for a few hours bit quiet, so went insect hunting today.

Attachments

• DSC08504.jpg
    DSC08504.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC08571.jpg
    DSC08571.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC08746.jpg
    DSC08746.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC08622.jpg
    DSC08622.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 55

A Lesser Whitethroat was seen from the main hide at the Flashes last Tuesday 12th at 1 pm.

Had Treecreeper (North Moors plantation) and Nuthatch - copse behind east hide, moors, and Chaffinch yesterday

Tuesday 19th July 1415-1830

Great to be back on patch today for the first time in nearly two months. With temperatures soaring to 34C (accordingly to the car) needless to say activity was limited with passerines in particular keeping their heads down.

MOORS POOL
9 Lapwing, 6+ Oystercatcher, 1 Snipe (dropped into the Broadmeadow), 2 Mute Swan + 5 cygnets, 6 Canada Geese, 1 Grey Heron, 4 Moorhen, 109 Coot, 2 GC Grebe, 4 Little Grebe with 1+ young on west side, 17 Tufted Duck broods, c100 Mallard, 4 Gadwall (2 fem + 2 juvs), 1 LBB Gull, 14 adult / fledged Common Terns + 3 young (chick from 3rd brood which looks virtually fledged and 2 chicks from 4th brood)

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, 2 Egyptian Geese (will be a handy addition for the Autumn All-Dayer if they continue to linger), 95 Canada Geese, 1 Greylag Goose, c20 Mallard, 1 GC Grebe, 3 Tufted Duck + 1 brood of 5, 10 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 2 Common Tern

FLASHES
13 Curlew, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 Common Sandpiper, 9 Green Sandpiper, Avocet - no count made but looks like a number of birds have left the site, 1 adult + 3 juv Redshank, 56 Lapwing, 8 LR Plover (4 adults and 4 juvs) with 1 newly hatched chick - female continuing to sit on remainder of clutch so hopefully Des may be reporting more today, 9 Canada Geese, 50+ Mallard, 1 Teal, 13 Coot, 24 Moorhen, 2 juv Shelduck, 2 juv Common Tern, increasing numbers of Stock Dove and Wood Pigeon.

In the 2.25 hours I was at the Flashes I didn't see another soul!

Last edited:
Interesting report (in the West Hide log book at the Moors Pool) of a White Admiral along the River Salwarpe on the 14th June. Des advises there is only one record for the species at Upton back in 1995.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back