• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Attached are a couple of photos of one of the Bee Orchids from yesterday...

I noticed that on one of the spikes there was an abnormal flower. It was drawn out with a noticeable pale-edged spur as opposed to the normal bulbous recurved lip i.e. labellum you normally see on the species.

I straight away thought of 'Wasp Orchid'. Not a true species or even subspecies but a .var, a variant, from the normal 'apifera' nominate. I have seen 'trollii' in the Cotswolds many years ago but these were a few spikes where all the flowers were wasp-like. A bit of research reveals that both forms can occur on the same flowering stem but it is much rarer than the 'norm' which in itself is scarce enough:eek!:

The 2 images attached show the difference between both flowers but on the same spike - for those with a botanical inclination or Orchid twitchers it is a rarer sighting than anything with feathers down there imho.

Good Birding.....and Botanising;)

Laurie:t:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_2708 Jun. 08 10.35.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2708 Jun. 08 10.35.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 52
  • ScreenHunter_2709 Jun. 08 10.35.jpg
    ScreenHunter_2709 Jun. 08 10.35.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 38
It has been kindly pointed out that the flower in question *might* not have been fully opened yet and it might indeed expand and curl back. I am not convinced as i do not think there is enough ‘slack’ in the flower personally but as i visit each week i will check again on Saturday...

Good birding and botanising -

Pair of Mediterranean Gulls mating at Camp Lane Pits yesterday later afternoon. Also an amorous Cuckoo pair (image of female)

Attachments

• IMG_9839.jpg
    IMG_9839.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9832.jpeg
    IMG_9832.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 84
ROSE-COLOURED STARLING in Grimley village this evening around barn along public footpath between telephone box and River Severn SO836602 as per Isaac2

Rose Coloured Starling ,nice plumage easy to find among upward of 1000 birds. For more info contact Roger B or Brian . Sorry to be a bit elusive but sensitive times.
Of note Gadwalls with young although small brood sizes 2, 3 and 4 . Large numbers of aerial feeders over CLP with swifts easily the most abundant. Clouds of insects actually making it difficult to breath, in there millions.
A great nights birding on what at first appeared to be a very overcast evening , I hadn’t even bothered to take phone or camera ——- you never know what’s going to be there.

Great find Jim.

There is no need for anyone to contact Brian or Roger direct - the directions are stated above and will be updated on news.

Re the Starling —- although I said I was being elusive last. Night there was a good reason . Having been on twitter and seeing. There was probably. Some disgruntled birders there today ,if the message I relayed to Roger had been followed they would know that the Starling was coming into roost hence the reference to (upward of a 1000). The said Starlings have been coming into this roost for the past 3 weeks and may be longer.
Why I was reluctant to give more details is because the directions given means you actually walk through the roost , if walking from the village . I’d walked up from the river so could see them without actually getting to close.
You need to get in position at about 7.30pm down by the small pool so you can look back to the village and the overhead wires.
They came into roost at 8.00pm ,but it was very overcast so it might be later. There may also be more than 1

I thought it would be fairly obvious that the birds were roosting and that if you wish to look for it during daylight hours you will have to find where they are feeding - this is probably too much like hard work for a % of the self-entitled who seem to forget that ‘the welfare of the bird comes first’.....

Well done for putting in the time for finding it - it sometimes makes me wonder whether news is better off being suppressed or at least restricting it and face criticism of being cliquey sometimes one cannot win.

I am looking forward to my weekly 3 hour visit tomorrow and will hopefully see whatever is there and maybe actually find something of interest - i just hope it’s not a Long-tailed Duck!;)

Good birding -

A few from this morning at CLP

Redshank, BHG, Lapwing, Cormorant at long distance, Common Tern

imgonline-com-ua-resize-2A6Sv2bCf0FG.jpg
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-resize-RfZcDlVtgEMsWNF.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-resize-RfZcDlVtgEMsWNF.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 14
  • imgonline-com-ua-resize-cdE0Gng7uToN8t.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-resize-cdE0Gng7uToN8t.jpg