• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Akumal (Yucatan, Mexico) June 15th (1 Viewer)

tired_boy

We have just returned from Akumal (1.5 hours south of Cancun) and saw all these birds within a half mile of the coastline. Any suggestions on their I.D please?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 231
Also these too.............

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 164
And these 2 pictures of the same bird which were taken 5 miles inland near to a cenote, locals called it a Mot mot?

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 280
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 204
Here are my guesses without reference to books

1) White-winged Dove and Northern Mockingbird
2) and 3) Oriole sp...possibly Altamira
4) juvvy Brown Pelican
5) Kingbird sp.. Tropical?
6) Bronzed Cowbird
7) Green-backed Heron
8) Great Kiskadee
9) Tropical Kingbird
10) Myarchus flycatcher sp.
11) Motmot sp.

Sean

Hiroshima

1- White winged Dove and Tropical Mockingbird
2- Hooded Oriole male
3- Hooded Oriole female
4- Brown Pelican
5- Tropical or Couch´s Kingbird, can´t say which
6-Bronzed Cowbird
7- Green Heron
8- Great Kiskadee
9- Tropical or Couch´s Kingbird (may be Tropical on bill size)
10- Maybe a Yellow-bellied Elaenia but not sure. Yellow-olive Flycatcher is another poss.
11- Turquoise-browed Motmot

Saludos
Eduardo

Last edited:
what do locals call *you* Eduardo?

I think now Eduardo has made the few necessary improvements to Sean's answers we will not be able to improve them any further!

although having said that, could number 10 be a caribbean elaenia?

James

Hi there,

Thanks for all the help you have given. Its interesting to know the names of all the birds i have seen.

I will give some more information on number 10 which may help - this was actually seen 1 hours drive north of Akumal, near to Puerto Morelos. We went out for the day on an ATV trip. We started in Puerto Morelos and headed up to the highway, then we went 13km up a newly laid tarmac road towards Selvatica (zip-lines), after another 3km we went to a cenote which was called 'The Pumas Mouth' (in english). This bird was in a tree just off the track we were riding along. I took several pictures but the camera wouldn't pick the bird out because of the background colours. I will post the other pictures i have incase they help at all..........

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 117
New images and text reinforce the Yellow-olive Flycatcher theory. The bill looks flattish on first pic.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 92
These are my guesses, with reference to guides. Took me ages, but I'm trying to get familiar with your birds.

1 white winged dove and tropical mockingbird (although i dont think northern can be ruled out from that angle

2 Hooded oriole. Not altamira, as lacks orange wing bar

3 Female Hooded

4 juv. brown pelican

5 Hammonds fly, going on posture, faded yellow underparts (not bright, as in kingbirds) and notched tail.

6 bronzed cowbird

7 green heron

8 boat billed flycatcher. I thought wing colour may be better than for kiskadee

9 tropical kingbird (long bill)

10 dont know

11 Turquoise browed motmot. Much more vivid than in any of the field guides. Amazing!

Feel free to put me right : p Here to learn

Jason

I agree with Motmots IDs. I cant say for sure what the mystery flycatcher is but I agree with Motmot that it looks more like Yellow-Olive Fly by posture by shape than an Elaenia sp.

Regarding Jason's Ids:
By range at least, N. Mockingbird is very unlikely.

Hammonds Fly is not as bright yellow (as at least my monitor shows), has more of a greyish or dusky wash on the chest and throat. Also, being an Empid., Hammonds has a slightly different shape- not as elongated and powerful as Tyrannus sp.. Tropical and Couch's Kingbirds do show a notched tail as this bird shows.

The Kiskadee type bird looks like a Great Kiskadee to me rather than Boat-billed Fly because it shows rufous in the wings (maybe its not showing up on your monitor?) and although it has a strong bill, it lacks the heavily curved culmen shown by Boat-billed Fly.

I agree with Motmots IDs. I cant say for sure what the mystery flycatcher is but I agree with Motmot that it looks more like Yellow-Olive Fly by posture by shape than an Elaenia sp.

Regarding Jason's Ids:
By range at least, N. Mockingbird is very unlikely.

Hammonds Fly is not as bright yellow (as at least my monitor shows), has more of a greyish or dusky wash on the chest and throat. Also, being an Empid., Hammonds has a slightly different shape- not as elongated and powerful as Tyrannus sp.. Tropical and Couch's Kingbirds do show a notched tail as this bird shows.

The Kiskadee type bird looks like a Great Kiskadee to me rather than Boat-billed Fly because it shows rufous in the wings (maybe its not showing up on your monitor?) and although it has a strong bill, it lacks the heavily curved culmen shown by Boat-billed Fly.

Hi Pat!!
Nice to have you here. Probably you don´t know but we met in Costa Rica a few years ago and birded a bit together. I´m Eduardo, Robert´s friend in Monteverde (now I´m in Spain but hopefully will be back there soon). Glad to see we agree on the ids. Will pm you.
Cheers

Hi Eduardo,
I finally received my copy of the Garrigues & Dean a few days ago. Very nice. Please thank Robert when you see him for giving us both a "plug" in the book credits. Very nice of him!

I thought I did alright without reference to a guide:)..

I checked my US guide afterwards and realized I was wrong on the male Oriole. Wonder if the female had a white wing patch on?

Don't have a reference for that region..hence I wasn't too sure about the Motomot, Mockingbird or Flycatchers.

What family is Olive- Yelloe Flycatcher?

Sean

Hiroshima

Ah so the same famlily as the Kingbirds..hence the similarity.

Thanks for that Eduardo.

Sean

PS Sorry about the typos on the birds name

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back