• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Status of Hawaii's Endangered Birds ?? (1 Viewer)

Richard Henry said:
I don't suppose there are any offshore islets that could be sanctuaries for the birds, are there? Does anyone know what, if anything, survives on Ni'ihau?

The best sanctuaries for forest birds are the mid-high elevation areas on the larger islands, where the rainforests, high elevation dry forests, and forest reserves already are - as far from human habitation and agriculture as possible. The small islands Lana'i, Kahoolawe and Ni'ihau are very small and dry, don't have rainforest habitats, and could never support much wildlife. Ni'ihau has been a ranch for over a hundred years - I don't think it could have much/any habitat for forest birds. Actually, I haven't ever seen any information about what birds might have ever been there. Nihoa is already a bird sanctuary, with its millerbird. The sandbar islands further up the chain lost most of their native birds by rats and rabbits long ago. :(

Last edited:
Richard Henry said:
I don't suppose there are any offshore islets that could be sanctuaries for the birds, are there? Does anyone know what, if anything, survives on Ni'ihau?

Unfortunately, a major limiting factor for Hawaiian birds is avian malaria spread by tropical mosquitoes. Neither the disease nor the mosquitoes are native to Hawaii, so the native birds have little to no resistance. The mosquitoes are limited in elevation to under 3,500 feet, so the native birds are largely limited to being above 3,500 feet. Only the major islands are high enough to provide refuge above the mosquito zone.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back