• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conundrum in selecting binoculars (1 Viewer)

Rye_a

I'm relatively new to the world of birding, but have been an avid hunter for years and am not new to binoculars. I have been using some Vortex Viper HDs for the last six years or so for my hunting excursions and have been relatively happy with them, but between wanting optics with better glass and low light performance, and an upcoming trip to Belize with a significant bird watching component I am seriously considering an upgrade.

I have been pricing out my best options to buy a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42s for awhile, but just came across a pair of like-new demo Noctivid 8x42 with a full warranty for under $2,000. If I have the money is it worth the stretch to go with the Noctivids? Considering that I also hunt (which can result in hard use) will I be satisfied with the Leica warranty compared with that of Swarovski? Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

if you are going to be doing jungle excursions I would recommend a pair of 8x42 - preferably with a wide fov. And when traveling in less safe countries, certainly nothing from the teutonic trinity as these nice logos are well known and tend to attract unwelcome attention.

Nikon is better as they build bins from $80 to $2500 (or $6000 if you count the WX but they will be noticed anyways...).

I would probably get a pair of Nikon MHD 8x42 - nice fov, good optics and a price which will not kill you if it is nicked by sb. knowing that it's a good pair...

PS: Welcome to Birdforum!

Joachim

Last edited:
Everything that Joachim said with the exception of the glass choice, a Monarch7 8X42 a few hundred + less than a 8X42 MHG.

Andy W.

I am not sure I agree with the above.

Considering the cost and effort at a trip of this magnitude,
and that this may well be a once in a lifetime trip,
I would want the best optics possible.
Possibility of lost, stolen, damaged optics would be part the price of the trip.

I would also consider what would be better for your future use.

edj

I have not looked through the 8x Noctivid but I have the 10x42 and if you wear glasses I think they are the best. For me anyway. I love my 10x42. I think you would love the Noctivid.

I'm relatively new to the world of birding, but have been an avid hunter for years and am not new to binoculars. I have been using some Vortex Viper HDs for the last six years or so for my hunting excursions and have been relatively happy with them, but between wanting optics with better glass and low light performance, and an upcoming trip to Belize with a significant bird watching component I am seriously considering an upgrade.

I have been pricing out my best options to buy a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42s for awhile, but just came across a pair of like-new demo Noctivid 8x42 with a full warranty for under $2,000. If I have the money is it worth the stretch to go with the Noctivids? Considering that I also hunt (which can result in hard use) will I be satisfied with the Leica warranty compared with that of Swarovski? Any help is appreciated.

I don't know about the 10X42s for birding in Belize. It's probably going to be thick foliage and you are probably not going to be able to see that far. For your uses I'd probably go with a Swarovski SV 8X32 OR SLC 8X42. I'd probably take one of those or maybe a Leica Ultravid HD+ 7X42. I have 100% confidence in those three.

I will say I have both a 8X42 and a 10X42 Leica Noctivid. They ARE a new platform. I haven't had any issue whatsoever with them. BUT I WILL say that I haven't used them enough to have that confidence in them for such a trip. Around here? SURE. Birding trip to Belize? No.

I agree with Chuck. I'm in Costa Rica and the forest has been very dense, it's hard to see more than 50 feet from the trail. Wide angle 8x42s worked well. That said, our guide used Vortex 10x42s. Around the hotel there are still plenty of birds to see, a 10x would work fine there since it's more open.

Well, I did it; I bought the Noctivids. I just don’t know when/if I’ll have another opportunity to buy top of the line glass that is as new with a full warranty for 30% below MSRP. Between the magnification and a 1 to 2 day stint that I will be in Guatemala, I don’t know that I will bring them to Belize, but I know I will enjoy having them for many years.

Hi,

congratulations on a new toy... 8x42 would be perfect for jungle but I would probably take another 8x42 for safety (I have too many bins ;-)

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back