• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Henst's Goshawk (1 Viewer)

Susan Manchester

Who is Henst's Goshawk named for? I am wondering if there is a reliable resource for this information. I tried looking this one up in Zoonomen, but there is no card for this particular species.

Beolens & Watkins 2003 (Whose Bird?):
HENST
Henst's Goshawk Accipiter henstii (Schlegel 1873)
G (Possibly Gilihelmus) Van Der Henst was a collector in Madagascar. He is mentioned as being with a D C Van Dam when they killed and collected a lemur, the Crowned Sifaka Propithecus coronatus, near Bombotek on the Northeast coast of Madagascar, which is interesting since the goshawk is a predator of lemurs.

It was Gideon van der Henst.

Van Dam made a second trip to Madagascar (1868 to 1873), this time without Pollen, but at Pollen's expense. According to a notice in the annual report for 1866-1867, van Dam was to be accompanied by Gideon van der Henst, an "élève" at the museum....Zoologische verhandelingen: Volumes 309-311.

"The epithet of the species is intended to recall the name of a former student of the Museum, M. G. van der Henst, who attended Mr. van Dam during his research in Madagascar.

L'épithète de l'espèce est destinée à rappeler le nom d'un ancien élève du Museum, M. G. van der Henst, qui a assisté M. van Dam lors de ses recherches à Madagascar.."
From Schegel's original Description.

In the Wikipedia article (in German) on Douwe Casparus van Dam is mentioned Gideon Daniel van der Henst. The Dutch Bevolkingsregister shows Gideon Daniel van der Henst was born in Leiden on 10 Feb. 1845.

Dear, James,

How did you pin-point that specific Gideon Daniel van der Henst to the one who collected with van Dam?

Just curious of what source I haven´t found? There´s quite a few, both Gideon and "Gideon Daniel/Daniël" van der Henst "out there" ... a few, as well, born in Leiden (as to expect?), both in 1845 and 1850 (the latter died in 1872!?)

See for example: http://www.mijnstambomen.nl/leiden/henst.htm#BM_TOTAAL_5_230321_0098215
or:
http://www.myheritage.se/research?formId=master&formMode=&action=query&qname=Name fn.Gideon fnmo.2 fnmsvos.1 fnmsmi.1 ln.van%2F3derHenst lnmo.4 lnmsdm.1 lnmsmf3.1 lnmsrs.1

I only found one Gideon Daniel van der Henst, but your attachments reveal more. In the absence of further discernment or information I have amended my ms to "(fl. 1873)".

I found Gideon Daniel van der Henst (some with Daniel as second name) born at 7-12-1849, 26-4-1829 (died the same year), 10-2-1845 and 8-9-1850. From 1861 some eggs and skins arrived at Leiden. So most likely it was a unknown Gideon.... Before 1800 various more Gideon van der Henst..... so a puzzle that might never been solved?

Last edited:
I found Gideon Daniel van der Henst (some with Daniel as second name) born at 7-12-1849, 26-4-1829 (died the same year), 10-2-1845 and 8-9-1850. From 1861 some eggs and skins arrived at Leiden. So most likely it was a unknown Gideon.... Before 1800 various more Gideon van der Henst..... so a puzzle that might never been solved?

I guess so, Justin,
But your reply made me even more curious. Do you know from where those eggs and skins originated? Does the labels tells his full name? Does the Leyden Museum maybe know? This is beginning to be a real mystery!

Or maybe some of our US friends can solve the puzzle...

Van der Henst is mentioned in different Geographical Journals and Bulletins, from various places on Madagascar, that he visited 1868, 1869 and 1870. What happened to him after that I do not know, and I´m not even sure if he ever knew of the honour of having a Goshawk of his own.

In 1876 Schlegel (who described the hawk) wrote a book called "(Les) Singes: simial. See link: http://books.google.se/books?id=apdPAAAAYAAJ&q=%22van+der+Henst%22+Madagascar&dq=%22van+der+Henst%22+Madagascar&hl=sv&sa=X&ei=MxBwUrK7HeOI4ATll4HYBA&redir_esc=y'
The Google Book snippet view reveals:
"Après son retour en Europe, son compagnon de voyage, M. van Dam, aidé du préparateur van der Henst , a poursuivi cette tâche jusqu'en 1871. Tous ces messieurs n'ont, toutefois, visité que la Côte Ouest de Madagascar comprise entre les ..."
So there ought to be more to read about this mysterious van der Henst. I have no access to the full view, but US citizens can read it via:
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/browse?type=title&index=1111&key=(les)%20singes%20simial%20&c=x

Anyone else than me wishing to know?

Van Henst travelled with D.C. van Dam to Madagascar, this was the second travel from van Dam, the first he made with F Pollen. Pollen financed the trip, and specimens where either sent in directly or arrived via Pollen to the Leiden Museum. There are no documents at Leiden directly from van der Henst, and specimens are few that are linked to van der Henst, none however (i saw) bear his first name.

Know is from Holthuis et al 1997 (type-catalogue of decapod cructacea) that: Gideon van der Henst, an eleve at the museum visited in 1866-67 Madagascar, and then proceeded to North America with A. Provo Kluit.

Last edited:
Thank you Justin,
That finishes my little attempt to figure out the man behind Henst's Goshawk ...

As: the unknown Dutch Collector (only): Gideon van der Henst, that collected on Madagascar 1866-1867, and soon after (also on Madagascar) together with van Dam, from 1868 to at least 1870. That´s all!

I won´t go any further. Henst was a side-track of mine. "His" specie used to be called "Hensts duvhök" in Swedish (in line with Henst's Goshawk) but today it is named Madagaskarduvhök ("Madagascarian Goshawk"), so this is no major issue for us Swedes. There are so many, many other current Swedish Names waiting to be solved!

If anyone else will keep on looking - Good luck!

van der Henst ... over an out!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back