• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Spent most of the day in the hides at S’Albufera due to the weather.
Little tern showed briefly from Bishop 1 hide......oh and the knot was still there showing lots of colour.
30 mins at Can Curassa on way back until the rain got worse. At least 50 house martins showing together, purple heron, male pied flyand a small bird near the gate which I couldn’t id. Thought I seen a flash of red but is vanished quickly. Prob a redstartbut noticed Kendal Birder had a bluethroat type? Who knows.

Group of 40 Crag martins, low over las Palmeras, puerto pollensa at 07.55, (between the persistant heavy showers!!!). Doesn't seem to recognise the species name (or scientific) on the Citau record sightings page!
Any advice?

Steady movement of Hirundines/Swifts this morning at Las palmeras (Puerto pollensa) into a Fresh, squally, Northerly biased wind, yielded a half hour sample count from a 2.5 hour observation period of 370 birds.

Also Llenaire: x7 Stone curlew seen, x2 Eleonoras, small fall in ploughed orchard by road included, min 6 Pied Fly (4f, 1stSm, 1m), 3f Redstart, 2 will warb, 1m Wheatear, 2 Turtle dove, numerous Spanish wags (with 1 Ashy headed type male) and a large number of Spot flys.
1 Crag martin over.

Can anyone tell me how to attach pics to thread?

Group of 40 Crag martins, low over las Palmeras, puerto pollensa at 07.55, (between the persistant heavy showers!!!). Doesn't seem to recognise the species name (or scientific) on the Citau record sightings page!
Any advice?

Try Hirundo rupestris.. some of the latin names need to be updated :t:

Last edited:
Late start to the birding day due to the weather.
Bocquer had booted eagle and cirl bunting. The Avenue leading up to the Bocquer held tree pipit, 6 willow warblers, pied and spotted fly as well as redstart.
Highlight of the day was at Can Curassa where we saw a male RF falcon, eleonoras falcon and a montagu’s harrier. Met Pep and Gabriel there as well. Weather looks good tomorrow so a trip to the Albercutx Tower is planned. Micky

Can Cuarassa first thing included 2 Groppers 'reeling', 5f Marsh harrier through, 1 Turtle dove (with another 5 together near llenaire, several Willow warbs and a singing Reed warbler from juncus along 'smelly river'. 3 lp Eleonoras over in total.
Nice to see Mr Sunshine�� back out!!!

Cracking male Ortolan Bunting on the wasteground just up from the base of the Boquer this morning
Also Cirl Bunting, singing Wryneck and female Pied Flcatcher Pair of Crossbill near Postage Stamp Wood and large Hirundine flock from Finca included several Crag Martins. Robert

10 minutes today that reminded me how good Mallorca birding can be; at 1000 I was on Albufereta on winding backroad by 'smelly river' watching the male Red Foot fairly distantly on wires ( thanks for tip off Kendal Birder, and good to meet you earlier) when a Male Montagus Harrier came through, headed towards me and crossed the road quite close to me (will post photos in due course). Just then heard Bee Eaters and flock of 25 plus came overhead towards Llenaire. In meantime 3 Nightingales singing and several Spotted Flys on fences. Great stuff and good to be back!

apart from that 11 Flamingo, 1 Turtle Dove and 1 Bee Eater earlier today at Alfureta Tower

Hi all, I'm on a week's holiday from UK and have visited S'albufeira for the first time. What a great place! Last Thursday almost the first bird I saw was a male Montagu's on the path from the main road. After going round the reserve I ventured a lititle way down the path to Ses Punta and was amazed to see a Golden Eagle being mobbed by a Marsh Harrier. I visited the reserve again yesterday and concentrated on this path. Got great close views of Moustached Warbler which was a lifer for me. Also saw the Golden Eagle again which I've now been told is an escape, this time being mobbed by a pair of Ravens as well as the MH. Also had 2 Ospreys, a Hobby, 2 Spot Flys in the pines and a Hippolais sp. And a Hoopoe on the way back. Have got one day left tomorrow, thinking of getting bus to Pollensa. What are the chances of seeing Eleonora's Falcon? Regards Bob

Early morning trip to Abercutx tower produced peregrine, eleonoras and honey buzzard before thelow cloud/mist come in.
Around noon - Llenaire had flycatchers, redstarts, booted eagle. Golden oriole singing but not seen. Returned at 6pm to see hundreds of hirundines. Also had a distant roller - my first of the trip.
Bee eaters over all sites i visited today. Over 50 in total.

Llenaire 7-9am. Good view of a Lesser whitethroat in corner of ploughed fig orchard, 1 dark morph F Honey buzzard through at 08.55, 1+ Red rumped swallow picked out of the abundant hirundines, 1 Grey headed wag in cereal field with olive trees (wagtails perching in dead olive tree), 2 wryneck singing (1visable), 2 Wheatear, and 139 Bee-eater through (largest group 43 + 15 birds nicely perched up), several willow warbs. Roller must have moved on.

Bocquer Valley 0710-0900 today. As I arrived male Montys Harrier headed over towards Formentor, otherwise 70 plus Bee Eater over (but more heard only as too high to see), 5 Spotted Fly and Wryneck calling near Car Park.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back