• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (4 Viewers)

3 Black Vulture drifted low SW along ridge above Las Palmeras (puerto pollensa) at 14.10.
Several Eleonoras coming and going, and 3 Kestrel sp high North together. Plus Booted eagles and a Couple of Red Kites.

At Albufereta today, 20 Kentish Plover, a Ringed Plover, 2 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Redshank, 1 Wood Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper and 3 Black Terns.
Also Purple Herons, Ospreys, Great White Egret, 2 Yellow Wagtails

At Can Curassa this morning highlight was a Red Throated Pipit that flew low over me calling along the long straight road though the fields ( funnily enough was talking to Kendalbirder about these 15 mins before) - it dropped into the rough field and couldnt r relocate it - other than that nothing out of the ordinary but few bee eaters over and lots of Swallows ( couldn't see any Red Rumps despite looking)

Can cuarassa first thing was quiet bar 47 Bee-eater N in 1 group. Nice to bump into you again this morning Chris and nice one with Red Throated Pipit!!!! Good bird for Majorca.
Walked onto Albufereta, 4 Ringed plover and 2 Sanderling on Shore, a little bit before river runs in.
Usual suspects on reserve, 11 Flamingos, 1 Purple swamphen, 2m Garganey, 2ad Purple Heron, F Red created Pochard, Pair Pochard, Pair Msh Harrier, Stilts, Kentish Etc and a Squacco Heron distantly on new scrape behind the Club Pollentia.
Called in on that Scrape on way back: good views of Squacco from the corner of the car park, also a dozen+ Ringed plover, 2 semi Summer Curlew Sands, 1 Wood sand, 15+ Stilts, 10+ Kentish, Gadwalls, F Pintail and Ad Purple Heron and a couple of Redshanks.
Nice to speak to all the Birders i bumped into this morning.

Llenaire 7-9am. Good view of a Lesser whitethroat in corner of ploughed fig orchard,

Isn't that a rarity in the Baleares? Hope you don'y mind me questioning this but could it have been an Orphean - I was nearly fooled the other day by one for a few seconds in coastal bushes - LW has only about 4 records in Portugal.

I believe you are correct. It is a rarity. The 2015 Balearic Bird Report (the latest I have) lists a couple of records that were accepted by the Spanish Rarities Committee, but not from Mallorca - only Cabrera (fifth record) and Illa de l'Aire [Menorca] (third record), seen between late April and early May (4th). There may, of course, have been some more recent records that I'm unaware of, but I guess it will need a full report submitted.
Martin

Last edited:
Hi, Informative posts regards the Lesser Whitethroat, I had a good look at the bird for several minutes as i"m aware that LW is a scarce bird in Majorca, all key features were noted and it also gave the familiar 'rattle' which im used to in the UK. Ive only ever seen 1 Western Orphean before and at best they were lousy views from a twitched bird back in Hartlpool (UK) some years ago.
The Llenaire bird was a smallish, soft Sylvia, not the strapping bird of an Orphean and didnt have the pale eye or heavy bill i would have expected.
Sadly no pictures im afraid. But i can certainly fill out a rarity form!

Hello!
Regarding to the Lesser Whitethroath, last record I remember is one from last October in la Gola park.

Notice that there are some birds which are classified as rarities but in fact there are a few views every year in the Balearics in the migratory passage.

Cheers,
Cristina.

WARNING in Bóquer Valley

Hello again,
It's unpleasant to say that but three people have been seen in Boquer Valley trying to steal wallets from the visitors. A couple (man and woman) and another man.
With the excuse of sharing your binoculars they get closer to you and try to introduce his hand in your pocket or bag.
I have seen them between the car park and the old house of Bóquer.
Local Police has been notified.

:(

Cristina.

Hello again,
It's unpleasant to say that but three people have been seen in Boquer Valley trying to steal wallets from the visitors. A couple (man and woman) and another man.
With the excuse of sharing your binoculars they get closer to you and try to introduce his hand in your pocket or bag.

Cristina.

Nasty. I hope they are caught. I was unlucky enough to have my wallet stolen when I was on Mallorca many years ago with a friend. To this day I don't know how or when it was done but almost certainly by other tourists when we stopped to take photos of the (then abundant) wild flowers.

Salbufera today. Around 30 Eleanoras Falcons seen hawking south of the tower this lunchtime.
Also 9 Glossy Ibis together on the Marsh. 4 Black Terns also seen from the tower. At Es Cillobar 5 Flamingos and 12 Curlew Sandpipers were the standout birds. Robert

Visited S’Albufereta this morning. Squacco heron, flamingos, purple heron, whinchat were the birds of note.
Then on to Son Real which was quiet bird wise. Visted S’Abufera on the way back to P Pollensa. Osprey, squacco heron, curlew sandpipers and little bittern were the stand out birds.
Nice to bump into Kendal birder and Clive today. Micky

Hi, Informative posts regards the Lesser Whitethroat, I had a good look at the bird for several minutes as i"m aware that LW is a scarce bird in Majorca, all key features were noted and it also gave the familiar 'rattle' which im used to in the UK. Ive only ever seen 1 Western Orphean before and at best they were lousy views from a twitched bird back in Hartlpool (UK) some years ago.
The Llenaire bird was a smallish, soft Sylvia, not the strapping bird of an Orphean and didnt have the pale eye or heavy bill i would have expected.
Sadly no pictures im afraid. But i can certainly fill out a rarity form!

I guess Mike M is distracted in the USA! Lesser whitethroat is one of the birds that he maintains is more frequent in Mallorca than records suggest. I was birding in Mallorca this time last year and my friend John had a lesser whitethroat at S’Albufera (I missed it - long story). Mike was very keen for John to submit the record, which he has done. Like you, it’s a very familiar bird for us, and I have no doubt about it’s veracity. We await the verdict..

Stew

That’s correct Stew, I have received quite a few records of Lesser whitethroats in the past couple of years and I know all the birders involved. They will not be mistaken as us British Birders are well used to seeing and hearing Lesser Whitethroats. Very good description from Kendalbirder for example.
I did suggest that all birders submit their records as I know John did.
Some great birds in California but reading all your reports from Mallorca, I still long to be back home. Mike

Hello again,

Cristina.
Thanks for the warning.
I have walked there on my own several times,as I'm sure many reading this have done.Hopefully the Police catch them and no more Innocent birders become victims of crime.

Hello all

at Can Cuarassa road 0715 today a Pine Marten ran right in front of me across the road and promptly dived into cover. I could follow its progress by reed stems moving down the ditch and small birds mobbing but didn't see it again. Bird-wise it was fairly quiet but did have Squacco Heron & Purple Heron at the Albufereta tower bit later.

Later today went toCala San Vincente with family. 2 Honey Buzzard came over with a Booted Eagle, 5 Crossbill and could just make out Cory's Shearwaters offshore by scanning from the hotel there , as well as quite a lot of Mallorca Shag. Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back