• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Scope headaches? (1 Viewer)

I can see where digiscoping is an insidious disease of the wallet. I believe I will be ordering a taller tripod than the one I have. Partly because of Geoff's reference to a sturdier base on those occasions where the subject is higher than I.

Eye strain

Hello. I have just joined the "forum" being new to birding and all that this entails. I was browsing the site to find info to help me in choosing a good scope when I found this eye strain question. As I have very little experience yet I'm a bit reticent to add any advice but I do have experience from a parallel field which might be of use.
I used to do a great deal of scientific microscapy and we were all taught very early on to keep both eyes open at all times precisely to avoid eye strain and never to close the "other" eye. At first this felt very strange and the brain had difficulty in coping. But remarkably after several hours of practice the brain adapted (as the tutors knew ot would!) and you "saw" (or registered) only the image you were concentrating on in the scope. Eye strain was eliminated. Once learned, that was it; ie you didn't have to adapt each time as it became second nature.

Malcolm, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, let me offer you a warm welcome to BF.

Please don't feel reticent about contributing to the discussions, no matter how inexperienced you feel.

We look forward to hearing all about your birding experiences and hope you enjoy your visits to BF. You may find, though, that you become a little addicted!

I have to admit that I close the other eye when looking through the scope, but I will certainly give your suggestion a try.

Hi Malcolm, and another welcome. I'm interested in this comment about keeping both eyes open when using a scope, because we'll be getting one shortly. Perhaps if I use your suggested method right from the start, I'll find it easier to get used to it, rather than try to change later if I get a headache problem.

Now - slight change of topic - for people who already have scopes - which eye do you use? I use my right eye with a camera, so I suppose this would be what I would do with a scope.

I have to use my right eye, as I have a slight squint in the left one. Not enough to make me look cross-eyed, but enough to make everything blurred when I close the right eye.

I can use either but prefer my right eye. I leave both eyes open at times - I once read that was the best thing to do (but can't imagine why).

Last edited:
My natural inclination was to use my left eye. However, I can't as I have a tiny distortion of vision right at the point of focus (shaped like a Black Kite - no, only joking) so I have to use my right. It's second nature now.

Jason

As I said right at the start of this thread, I use my left eye. But that is due to an infection of the optic nerve. Prior to that, my right eye was dominant.
I'm also right handed, do you think there's a connection then Pete?

pduxon said:
Jason - are you right or left handed?
It varies. I kick with my left foot and bat and bowl left-handed, but I throw with my right arm (I'm not much of a cricketer, BTW!) I also write right-handed. Can't do any of these things with either hand/foot so can't be classed as ambidextrous. I think cack-handed is probably the word you want!

Jason

Sounds a bit like me Jason - things I've been taught to do, I do right-handed, but for self taught things I use my left hand.

Caused me all sorts of trouble when I was trying to coil and throw a rope (Girl Guide badge). It was only years later I realised the problem - coiled left handed, tried to throw right handed, ended up in a terrible tangle! :eek!: I tie bowlines left handed - so I used to teach the left handed students in a group of people learning to sail.

If it reguires one I use my right hand Badminton say or writing or bowling at Cricket but to bat or play golf I'm left handed!!

So I would expect to use my right eye for a scope

Sorry to come into this thread late,but getting back to the original theme my doctor who is also a birder told me that you can end up with a contorted pupil if you look through a scope with one eye shut.That is why it`s best to keep both eyes open.

Regards Steve.

Hi SimonC,
What I have found to eleviate a similar problem I had was when I got a Skua stay-on-case for my new scope, I put the lens cover to the side of the lens, it blocks out the light of the eye I am not using so I can now keep this eye open, thereby taking the strain off it having it closed all the time I look thru' the eyepiece.

Hi there SimonC, same problem but different reason.

I get over it by keeping both eyes open but covering the non-scopeing eye (right term ???) with my hand.

Works for me, hope it helps

Gaz Shilton said:
Hi SimonC,
What I have found to eleviate a similar problem I had was when I got a Skua stay-on-case for my new scope, I put the lens cover to the side of the lens, it blocks out the light of the eye I am not using so I can now keep this eye open, thereby taking the strain off it having it closed all the time I look thru' the eyepiece.
Great minds think alike? see post#38 of this thread ;)

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back