• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

As usual, you more Southern garden listers get flying start... and couple of amazing birds you have already. :t:
Last year was a new record for this garden, 72. So I put this year target to 75. But on the basis of first week, it's not going to happen... (OK, there is still few weeks left this year... :smoke: )

January 1st:
#1. Great Tit
#2. Hooded Crow
#3. Jackdaw
#4. Magpie
#5. Blue Tit
#6. Tree Sparrow

Jan. 5th:
#7. Great Spotted Woodpecker
#8. Bullfinch
#9. Feral Pigeon
#10. Greenfinch
#11. House Sparrow

Back after a trip in warmer bird-rich lands, and minus 14 C and considerable snow at my feeding station this morning ... perfect for big numbers - heaving with Great Tits et al. Main attractions this morning, three Grey-headed Woodpeckers, a couple of White-backed Woodpeckers, a Middle Spotted Woodpecker and a half dozen Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Treecreeper at the feeder nice.

Unusual for midwinter, five flyover Mallard.

1. Grey-headed Woodpecker
2. White-backed Woodpecker
3. Great Spotted Woodpecker
4. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
5. Great Tit
6. Blue Tit
7. Marsh Tit
8. Treecreeper
9. Nuthatch
10.Jay
11. Hooded Crow
12. Magpie
13. Fieldfare
14. Bullfinch
15. Mallard

Last edited:
Greenfinch this morning, surprised it took this long as normally get a good few of these

Plenty of Corvids flying around, but none actually in the garden yet

Till mid February only? I can confidently say you will be 30 or 40 or more species in front by then. My tally will only statt roaong significantly in March.

I suspect the same will be true here, too, if even late February when blackbirds begin to liven up the migration scene.

It's been terribly slow this winter, especially with chickadees and titmice. I used to have 2-4 titmice and 2-3 chickadees visit each week, and this winter I had ONE chickadee and 0 titmice... The area Christmas Bird Count has shown troubling results as well, even with poor weather on count day.

I suspect the same will be true here, too, if even late February when blackbirds begin to liven up the migration scene.

It's been terribly slow this winter, especially with chickadees and titmice. I used to have 2-4 titmice and 2-3 chickadees visit each week, and this winter I had ONE chickadee and 0 titmice... The area Christmas Bird Count has shown troubling results as well, even with poor weather on count day.

Perhaps they’ve been tempted away by a neighbour with a more attractive feeder spread? Happened to me a few Winters back...no such thing as loyalty I’m afraid.

Perhaps they’ve been tempted away by a neighbour with a more attractive feeder spread? Happened to me a few Winters back...no such thing as loyalty I’m afraid.

A valid point Ken, but I don't think it's the case here. I've had a neighbor who has been feeding birds for several years now, and a few switched to those feeders back then. Now, however, things seem to have settled in and I don't think her feeding is very regular right now.

I think it's one of those things where it's concerning, but there's not enough data yet to jump to conclusions. The topic came up in a statewide listserv late last fall, and some people said they had plenty of chickadees/titmice and others said far fewer than normal. I have noted an alarming lack of them almost everywhere, especially titmice, regardless of weather.

One interesting note is that a Cape May person who I talked to in the fall said that he saw more actively migrating titmice down there than ever before, which would be highly unusual. To me they have always seemed as sedentary as, say, a cardinal.

I think a lot of people here are interested to see the statewide CBC (Christmas Bird Count) results, though weather and resulting lack of coverage may make this year a poor one to judge from.

The concern for me at any rate birdmeister, is subscribing to the notion that no two years are the same, and having experienced as such, might mask any real tipping point should one occur, albeit eventually the status quo would be confirmed one way or the other. This is compounded by age, the longer one’s been Birding, the greater the experience of contractions and additions one can draw on, and as we all know global warming is certainly the “mover and shaker” in our post industrial world....time will tell I guess.

PS...It’s been relatively quiet so far (Autumn/Winter) this side of the pond too.

Cheers

The concern for me at any rate birdmeister, is subscribing to the notion that no two years are the same, and having experienced as such, might mask any real tipping point should one occur, albeit eventually the status quo would be confirmed one way or the other. This is compounded by age, the longer one’s been Birding, the greater the experience of contractions and additions one can draw on, and as we all know global warming is certainly the “mover and shaker” in our post industrial world....time will tell I guess.

PS...It’s been relatively quiet so far (Autumn/Winter) this side of the pond too.

Cheers

Fully agree Ken, I am alert for possible long-term changes but we will have to see what the next several years bring.

A wonderful addition to the list, provided that nocturnal heard only birds are allowed.

20. Great Horned Owl

A male and female duetting delightfully close by!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back