• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinch, Austria. One or two? M or F? (1 Viewer)

DanC.Licks

AKA Daniel Bradley
I got a big surprise when I looked into my camera one morning expecting a Sparrow and got this:
3T274317_resize.jpg
Taken on the 27th of September, 2012. We didn't see a Hawfinch again until the 3rd of November:
3T035014_resize.jpg
From then on he has been a regular; easy to spot because of his damaged left wing.
_DSC0233_resize.jpg _DSC0240_resize.jpg 3T096065_resize.jpg

So my question is, is the first one a different bird, or is it the same one that damaged its wing between the 27th of September and the 3rd of November? Male? Female?

Last edited:
They are all of an adult male. The 'damage' on the wing is the'club-shaped' tips to the outer secondary feathers. They would look grey in a female plus the 'face' would be duller / less cleanly marked.

Chris

p.s. If you're talking about the drooping wing then birds often injure the joints in the wing and carry it like the photo shows for a while.

C

Yes, that is what I meant. Sometimes it droops more than other times. He seems quite sociable, though I have only been able to get one shot of him outside and not through the window.
3T317099-Edit_resize.jpg

And one other in a neighbor's tree
3T255603_resize.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit like when you pull a muscle and tend to favour that leg / arm for a bit. Jealous of you getting such views and in your garden. Nice photos.

Chris

Dan your close-up head shot is superb!...just imagine that current ''fleshy white'' bill in March/April..morphing into ''gun metal blue''....a truly spectacular species.

Ah....yes! The Nuthatch....big time bully. Sometimes really funny when the feeder is full of sparrows, and he come flying in full bore like a live torpedo and they scatter every which way. I am surprised he didn't chase the Hawfinch away!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back