• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A tale of two 7X42s... (2 Viewers)

Post 17, Gilmore Girl:

Meopta added these "bumps" (they're not elevated, it's only another material) because the armouring would otherwise be slippery when there's rain or one's hands are sweaty. If you have the binoculars in the hand, they don't bother at all.

The 42's of the Meostar line are so heavy because they have a large prism (as I've read the same as the 50's). This has the advantage that glare and reflections control of the Meostars is top of the line. The revision of the Meostar that is intended perhaps for next year will present a reduction in weight though.

I hope that the 7x42 will not be discontinued - I love mine and would buy instantly also a revised one with HD glasses with less chromatic aberration.

Hi Mac,

I read here on BF I believe that the new Meostar line won't include 7x.
I can't remember who mentioned it.
Maybe someone could confirm this.

I have smaller hands and use the 42mm Meostars with no problems. I find the weight to be to my liking. It helps me hold them steady. I use a harness on the 8x and use the excellent padded Meopta strap on the 10x and put it over my shoulder. Both are comfortable to carry all day.

I have smaller hands and use the 42mm Meostars with no problems. I find the weight to be to my liking. It helps me hold them steady. I use a harness on the 8x and use the excellent padded Meopta strap on the 10x and put it over my shoulder. Both are comfortable to carry all day.
When I carry a binocular all day even with a harness I definitely prefer a lighter one. It seem like the farther I walk the more I notice the weight.

When I carry a binocular all day even with a harness I definitely prefer a lighter one. It seem like the farther I walk the more I notice the weight.

With a harness....I really don't notice weight while carrying...which I use the Rick Young UL harness all the time....up to and including binoculars such as the Meopta B.1 above. Now while actively glassing...no doubt my arms get tired quicker with the heavier binoculars. Swap to the SV 8X32 is almost like holding up nothing at all.

Binomania has a recent review of the Nikon EDG 7x42, very high marks, and another one to

consider in this size.

Jerry

Binomania has a recent review of the Nikon EDG 7x42, very high marks, and another one to

consider in this size.

Jerry

Yeah...I considered it too. I basically flipped a coin picking between the Leica and the Nikon. On paper they are really close.

Yeah...I considered it too. I basically flipped a coin picking between the Leica and the Nikon. On paper they are really close.

... but in practice they are very very different. Flat field in the Nikon makes everything look like a poster on a wall, albeit a very detailed one.

Ultravid is great.

A well manufactured FL is even greater. Hard to find though (or a long fight with Zeiss customer service). Ultravid is the much safer bet, but FLs AK prisms just blow everything else away, especially in the blue hour.

... but in practice they are very very different. Flat field in the Nikon makes everything look like a poster on a wall, albeit a very detailed one.

Ultravid is great.

A well manufactured FL is even greater. Hard to find though (or a long fight with Zeiss customer service). Ultravid is the much safer bet, but FLs AK prisms just blow everything else away, especially in the blue hour.

So many binoculars, so little time!

Ultravid is great.

Tobias. Have you ever compared the Zeiss FL to the Zeiss SF? Curious which one you prefer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back